"World's Largest" Subwoofer

<font color='#000080'>This is an oldie, but goodie. Royal Device, a self-proclaimed esoteric audio/video company built (apparently): "The Biggest SUBWOOFER of the WORLD, for the most esoteric Audio and AUDIO-VIDEO Room of the World. The Highest efficiency ever obtained with NO distortion using NO feedback tube low power amplifiers and NO crossover on the speakers"

The subwoofer is a horn design, featuring dual 9.5 meter horns driven by eight 18" drivers each. It has a claimed frequency response of 10Hz at full power. With an efficiency of more than 110 dB at 1W/1meter the system operates at 6400 Wrms total.

While an interesting read, I can't help but point out the apparently simulated video on the projection screen (notice the different offset positioning in the first two photos, the ridiculously high brightness levels at room lighting, the lack of yellow on the picture even though a bright yellow lamp is shining down on the screen and the poorly scaled jaggies on the bottom. No mention is made of the equipment or techniques used to ascertain the "NO distortion" claim - but we can say the following with absolute certainty: It is very, very BIG.

See the "World's Largest" Subwoofer</font>

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
<font color='#000000'>Us Italians have always been good at masonry! &nbsp;
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#8D38C9'>I can't wait to hear the car version rolling thru my neighborhood at 2:00 am cranking Eminem!
</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>The Italian said,"I made love to my wife three times last night, and when she woke this morning she said, I was the best lover in the world!"

The Frenchman said,"I made love to my wife four times last night, and she brought me breakfast in bed and said she could never love another man the way she loves me!"

The American said,"I only made love to my wife once last night, and this morning she said, please don't stop!" &nbsp;
</font>

A. Vivaldi

A. Vivaldi

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
zumbo : The Italian said,"I made love to my wife three times last night, and when she woke this morning she said, I was the best lover in the world!"

The Frenchman said,"I made love to my wife four times last night, and she brought me breakfast in bed and said she could never love another man the way she loves me!"

The American said,"I only made love to my wife once last night, and this morning she said, please don't stop!"  
I remember reading about Luciano Pavarotti saying something about making love to a televison in an interview. Only a true Italian would make such a remark!

</font>

ThA tRiXtA

ThA tRiXtA

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>No, this is the biggest sub in the world &nbsp;

</font>

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
If this sub can generate 5 hz at 150db SPL, I wonder if it can literally blow you away :D

ThA tRiXtA

ThA tRiXtA

Full Audioholic
don't laugh you could probly tow a truck with those cables! :eek:

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
Looks like it's wired for two voice coils. It also looks like a jet engine on a test stand and fuel hoses connected to the afterburners.

I see fiberglass driver... Can you say 25% distortion at rated power? :)

What is rated power, anyway?

BTW, he's located in a truck of some sort... This is a car audio subwoofer!

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
The suspension looks kinda narrow for its size. It's definitely not a long-throw subwoofer. :D

W

Westrock2000

Junior Audioholic
Holy crap whats up with gigantic drivers and kilowatt amps nowadays!?!?! I would think a 15" or 18" and a 100W-200W amp would be plenety for most any home enviornment!

Must be marketing....like these kids that put 600W amps in there cars, and there like "its not loud enough", I'm thinkin there is no way you can listen to 600W in a 15CuFt volume and walk away saying "it's not enough".

But I understand the new digital amps these things are using are much more effiecient so 500+Watts really isn't that difficult for them.

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
Maybe it's not a woofer. Maybe it's an experimental acoustic propulsion system! :p

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
About a year or so ago there was an article in the Washington Post about a bunch of people who hold car "stereo" competitions. The goal is not the coolest or the bassest. The winner is measured in decibels. To this end the "car" interior is encased in reflective soundproof material often concrete or steel plates. As little sound as possible is permitted to escape. A test CD (I don't recall what perhaps pink noise) is played and the dB measured in the interior. There are many drivers and thousands of watts of power. The voice coils fry in less than a second. The record is 171 dB which is louder than standing next to a jet engine. What will they think of next? :eek:

U

Unregistered

spl competions maybe

they are called spl competitions. and pioneer hold the record wiht 174 or something, you can see it on there website and you can see the car used.
there are many subwoofers, i think 8 in total and they have 5000watts each.

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
Big Woofers

Does anybody remember the movie Ruthless People (from the mid eighties). The scene where Judge Reinhold tries to sell some derelict a ten foot tall speaker with a 6 foot woofer?

I want those

P

Polkfan

Audioholic
How much do you think the magnet weighs on that thing?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis