5.1 DTS guy

Audioholic
Before I entered the audio world, I always regarded Bose as a company that makes high quality products. Not until I became a noobish audiophile did I realize that all of the Bose demos at retail stores sounded like tinny garbage (IMO). Then I saw the outrageous prices for getting nothing (like 600 bucks for a little tiny 2.1 package that doesn't even have a seperate receiver). I never owned any Bose products so I couldn't really make a full judgement on their audio quality (because I think the best way to hear a system is in your house after configuring the settings). Since I entered this forum, It's basically an underlying implication that Bose products are crap. I can probably search through old threads and compile many reasons why, but once and for all, can I hear what the main reasons are for the widespread disliking for Bose products in the audioholics community. Am I missing something, is their build quality bad, or are there things I don't know? If so, why do so many people buy Bose products? Are their car audio systems just as bad?

Thanks for the clarification.

P.S. On a sidenote, how is JBL regarded as a manufacter? I have JBL speakers and I think my system sounds great (in my opinion, which is what matters), but is there any other opinions out there?

Last edited:
mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
before I started researching, my dream system was a bose tiny cubes system ... (although I did hate the fact that it was an all in one CD player) I said to myself, what if the CD player broke? all the other parts of the system would be useless too.

anyway ... i avoid bose simply because for the same amount of money, you can get a kick *** audio system ... instead of the low-quality bose tiny cubes

JBL: my first 5.1 setup was a JBL HTIB. i think JBL is considered by many as a "cheap" but "does it job" type of speaker (kinda like a toyota) but in comparison to bose, you can buy yourself a MOVIE theater setup for the same amount of money as bose.

Ignorance is bliss ... when I had my JBL HTIB, i thought I had a great system (except for the center channel) I was even bragging to my friends about my setup.

I still have my SCS 150 (and am gonna use it in my bedroom, or as a 5channel stereo PC speaker)

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
5.1 DTS guy said:
Before I entered the audio world, I always regarded Bose as a company that makes high quality products. Not until I became a noobish audiophile did I realize that all of the Bose demos at retail stores sounded like tinny garbage (IMO). Then I saw the outrageous prices for getting nothing (like 600 bucks for a little tiny 2.1 package that doesn't even have a seperate receiver). I never owned any Bose products so I couldn't really make a full judgement on their audio quality (because I think the best way to hear a system is in your house after configuring the settings). Since I entered this forum, It's basically an underlying implication that Bose products are crap. I can probably search through old threads and compile many reasons why, but once and for all, can I hear what the main reasons are for the widespread disliking for Bose products in the audioholics community. Am I missing something, is their build quality bad, or are there things I don't know? If so, why do so many people buy Bose products? Are their car audio systems just as bad?

P.S. On a sidenote, how is JBL regarded as a manufacter? I have JBL speakers and I think my system sounds great (in my opinion, which is what matters), but is there any other opinions out there?
Bose is disliked for a couple reasons.

1.)Cheap drivers and enclosures
2.)Over priced
3.)Shotty buiseness practice

I like JBL speakers. Some people don't like the Northridge line, but I think they are a great budget cinema sound solution.

JBL speakers are in 75% of the worlds theaters.

SheepStar

The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
Sheep said:
Thats a very interesting factoid. I have always wondered what I was listening to in the theater.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Sheep said:
Slightly misleading info. What your comment implies is, their professional grade products are excellent (consequently used by 75% of the worlds theaters) so their products for home are made by the same standards.

I believe that is not the case. Only some of the home speakers are of the same quality as JBL's professional grade products.

Resident Loser

Resident Loser

Senior Audioholic
Interesting?...

The Chukker said:
Thats a very interesting factoid. I have always wondered what I was listening to in the theater.
...let's qualify that...perhaps JBLs...or Altec Lansing or...but, what ever they are, they aren't the ones available at BB or CC...they're probably full range, horn-loaded enclosures, half the size of your car with amplification and equalization to support them...

jimHJJ(...FYI...)

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
5.1 DTS guy said:

I believe the number 1 reason knowledgable folks dislike BOSE is that they are superlatively over priced. On top of that their products are deficient in a lot of KEY areas (audio frequency response, core functionality, connections for additional devices, etc). Their car audio products are whorse than the home use products.

The main reason BOSE has such a good brand image is because of their history (there was a time when they did not make crap) and clever marketing (aimed at people who have too much money and no time to investigate the market for something better and want a brand name product).

5.1 DTS guy

Audioholic
So what if Bose was a underpriced? Then would they be a good buy, or are they completely worthless? Im sure there are some good things about Bose maybe? Also, can you elaborate on why they are even worse for car audio because my dad wants to get Bose as an option in his next car.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
5.1 DTS guy said:
So what if Bose was a underpriced? Then would they be a good buy, or are they completely worthless? Im sure there are some good things about Bose maybe? Also, can you elaborate on why they are even worse for car audio because my dad wants to get Bose as an option in his next car.
The only good thing about Bose is super high WAF. Or if you absolutely must have a system that can disappear in your room decor.

Bose systems would be an option to consider if they sold for 1/3th of the current MSRP. Even at that price there are HTIB's available that would give Bose a run for their money.

The Bose car audio option is the biggest waste of money. The speakers are not much better than the stock option. And the player too is no better. All in all there is nothing to justity the cost of the upgrade. I test drove a Corvette that had the Bose option. Sounded like crap.

Resident Loser

Resident Loser

Senior Audioholic
Bose markets...

...products to fill a niche...they advertise...whether you buy Wonder Bread or loudspeakers, the cost of advertising gets passed on to the consumer in the MSRP...that's called capitalism...there is absolutely nothing "wrong" with Bose products, they perform as advertised, integrate well in decorating schemes, have high WAF, and are simple to set up...whether in the home or in your car as a simple turn-key option...You may not like the product so you are free not to buy for any number of reasons...that's called freedom of choice.

jimHJJ(...FWIW...)

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
agarwalro said:
Slightly misleading info. What your comment implies is, their professional grade products are excellent (consequently used by 75% of the worlds theaters) so their products for home are made by the same standards.

I believe that is not the case. Only some of the home speakers are of the same quality as JBL's professional grade products.
Yeah, JBL pro speakers. Not home ones... everyone knows that.

SheepStar

C

captbill

Enthusiast
I have Bose speakers in one of my cars, and they do sound good. The negative thing about Bose cars speakers is they are 2 Ohm( at least in my car), if you have to replace a speaker, you aren't going to find a 2 ohm speaker at your local store, basically you are stuck with a Bose replacement, which are not cheap. For info I have had Bose 901/IV and 201's, plus a Bose center channel for years. Yamaha or Mcintosh amps and a DSP unit, and set up correctly the sound is good. I don't about any of thier other sound systems. Ciao, Bill;)

The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
Resident Loser said:
...products to fill a niche...they advertise...whether you buy Wonder Bread or loudspeakers, the cost of advertising gets passed on to the consumer in the MSRP...that's called capitalism...there is absolutely nothing "wrong" with Bose products, they perform as advertised, integrate well in decorating schemes, have high WAF, and are simple to set up...whether in the home or in your car as a simple turn-key option...You may not like the product so you are free not to buy for any number of reasons...that's called freedom of choice.
+1

May I add that they are also marketed to the unshaven masses not necessarily to "us".
As in prime time television...during playoff football games (and other high profile time slots).
That kind of advertising is not cheap and IS passed to the consumer. It is no wonder that there is less price/value than "we" expect from a manufacturer. To quote a previous poster, "perception is reality" -- and their sizable market share has a lot to do with their large installed based and the mindshare of the public that views them (still) as having quality groundbreaking products.

bigpapa

bigpapa

Junior Audioholic
Bose is a great product...

But not for me. No doubt, a great company that makes money. And, the speakers sound alright... but expensive for the level of performance.

So when the (painter, carpenter, electrician, laborer) comes up to me whilst I'm installing mucho bucko speakers to testosterone driven amps in a monster home and says "I have some Bose, how are those?"...

What do you expect me to say?

I'm not going to pop his ballon. :)

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Sheep said:
Yeah, JBL pro speakers. Not home ones... everyone knows that.
You are approaching 2000 posts. WOW. I think your estimate of general a/v knowledge is on the optimistic side of things ;) .

T

t3031999

Audioholic
bigpapa said:
What do you expect me to say?

I'm not going to pop his ballon. :)
I guess I'm not as nice as you.

I have popped dozens of people's ballons regarding BOSE. Altough most of them just had the idea that BOSE was the best and didn't actually own it. But it's sometimes funny to see people defend their purchase even though the only "facts" they have are the ones BOSE marketing told them.

I guess I'm really not as nice as you...

Resident Loser

Resident Loser

Senior Audioholic
Funny that is...

t3031999 said:
Altough most of them just had the idea that BOSE was the best and didn't actually own it./QUOTE]

I wonder how many have said that Bose is the worst and never actually heard them...

jimHJJ(...just what is the "best"?...)

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
agarwalro said:
You are approaching 2000 posts. WOW. I think your estimate of general a/v knowledge is on the optimistic side of things ;) .
Are you being sarcastic or not? I can't tell. :)

SheepStar

T

t3031999

Audioholic
Resident Loser said:
I wonder how many have said that Bose is the worst and never actually heard them...

jimHJJ(...just what is the "best"?...)
Probably quite a few, in fact not just about Bose, but almost every brand gets bashed or recommended by people that have never heard it. That's one thing that can bug me at times.

Back a long time ago, I was a lemming to marketing...
I thought BOSE were amazing but had never heard them. Then I went to a BOSE outlet store, and I literally started laughing at some of their demos.

As far as the "best"... the best I've ever heard is a pair of magnepan 20.1's. Their sound just blew me away, but I know that there are ones I would like more if I heard them. And the best for me probably wouldn't be the best for everyone, because speakers are a personal preferences

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis