Exclusive Denon AVR-3805 First Look!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Official Denon AVR-3805 Review Thread

Exclusive Denon AVR-3805 First Look!

Read the Denon AVR-3805 Review by Audioholics

Please use this thread to post your questions on the Denon AVR-3805 receiver (please read the review first so you'll know if your question hasn't been answered yet.)

We'll be assembling a FAQ document that will address questions posted in this thread and will publish that FAQ in the coming weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

aarond

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Have you heard anything as to the posibility of a 4805 coming from Denon?</font>

S

Sounds Simple

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Gene-

Thanks for the first look.

Did Jeff confirm pricing for you? I've seen the press release which says an SRP of $1200 with the $60 microphone being optional. However, someone who pre-ordered a unit said that the dealer quoted him $1300 including the mic.

Any chance that Jeff can get a decent pic of the new remote to you?

Thanks-
Bob</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>I will have more stuff to post over the next week or so. &nbsp;

I cannot comment on any new products other than the AVR-3805 at this time but be assured you will get the juicy stuff here first &nbsp;
</font>

S

Sounds Simple

Junior Audioholic

Your First Look says that support for SACD over the Denon Link is coming (I assume they are awaiting approval from Sony/Philips); does this mean that Denon plans on shipping the initial units without support for SACD? When they get approval, will the update be made available for upgrading over the RS-232 port or will it require shipment to a service center?

Thanks for any info you have.

Bob</font>

F

frny

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Gene

Thanks for this info.

I am really disappointed by the lack of i-link connection. What's the word from Jeff Talmadge for not supporting this standart on a $1200 receiver in 2004 ? I have no use of a proprietary interface such as the Denon Link.</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#8D38C9'>I'd like to see a new model (call it a 3806)- it would combine the features and connectivity of the 3805 with the built in digital amplification of the DENON AVR770SD, except with a bit more power. &nbsp;It would of course have to maintain an unbroken digital signal chain from input to amps.

No new technologies would need to be created for this, just a melding of existing models. &nbsp;I realize this thread is about the 3805, and I'm excited for it to come out; I'm just bummed that even this wunderkind receiver is in a sense *obsolete* and it hasn't even hit the shelves yet.
</font>

P

pam

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>This receiver has the Denon link (I.link or IEEE 1394). This may be a strong contender with RVX-2400. First receiver with this feature in this price range. We can expect Universal DVD with IEEE 1394 from Denon before mid year to fit with this connection!</font>

S

Sounds Simple

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Unfortunately, Denon Link is a proprietary connection and not IEEE1394 (i.Link or Firewrie). I wish Denon would re-think this strategy since it's meant to lock you into their DVD players to get a digital connection between the two units.

The receiver is still likely to be a very strong performer in its price range.

Bob</font>

P

pam

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>EVERYBODY has a propietary IEEE-1394 link: Pioneer Elite, Integra, Denon, Yamaha. So the best way is to make sure to have a few upgrade path because eventually, they will have to agree on a common scheme but I can not see anything &nbsp;about this now.</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#8D38C9'>I'd look at a Denon player first, anyway; I really love my DVD-2200. &nbsp;Something along the lines of it or the '2900, but with a Denon Link output would be the cat's PJ's!</font>

S

Sounds Simple

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Pam-

If you look at Gene's First Look Checklist, you will see that it says that the 3805 has a Denon Link connection but lacks 1394.

If that doesn't convince you, look at the pic of the back panel where you can clearly see that the Denon Link connection is an RJ-45 jack and not a 1394 connector port. Further, there is a standard protocol for data transmission over 1394 - Audio and Music Data Transmission Protocol (A&amp;M Protocol) - issued by the DVD Forum, I believe. The copy protection on the 1394 port is also a standard: DCTP (5C Encryption).

Rob, I am thinking that the 3805 with a Denon player will make a nice combination (though I still wish Denon had opted for 1394 for their connection technology).

Bob</font>

P

pam

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Souds simple

You are right, I was just wishing too much. RJ-45 it is.</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>I have pics of the remote as some here have asked. &nbsp;Very nice! &nbsp;I will post it tonight. &nbsp;

I suspect Denon will release a low cost Universal DVD machine that will interface with Dlink and have the first fully digital affordable solution for DVD-A and SACD soon. &nbsp;Good stuff is coming ;)</font>

S

Sounds Simple

Junior Audioholic

I'm looking forward to the pic of the remote. Now I just wish they'd get a unit in your hands so you could fill in the details missing in the marketing we've seen so far.

Bob</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>I spoke to a dealer who attended the show and got a first hand look at the AVR 3805. He told me the actual dealer cost went up $150 for this model over the 3803. Then you add the remote which makes this cost over $200 more at least. He also said he had seen an msrp of $1299. I thought the msrp was $1200? Anyone know more about this?

Alex</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>I meant add the microphone, not remote. Sorry about that.

Alex</font>

S

Sounds Simple

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Alex-

Denon's press release for the 3805 stated an SRP of $1200 with the mic optional (I've seen $60 mentioned). However, someone elsewhere said he preordered a unit from a dealer at $1299 with the mic included.

Bob</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>I added the remote pic to the First Look article on this receiver!

FYI, I will be deferring the review of this unit to Clint. &nbsp;He should be receiving a sample when it starts shipping so stay tuned...

</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Did anyone else notice that the primary DSP board is not shielded? &nbsp;I've seen internal shots of the lesser 2800 series from denon, and even they have shielded casings for the DSP board. &nbsp;I wonder what design motivations were involved with the decision to not shield this particular portion of the unit.</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis