Watch Video Source While Listening to Audio Only Source?

A

audiolover

Audioholic Intern
I recently purchased a refurb. Marantz NR1501 receiver. I listen to a lot of music but I usually have the tv on while I listen. I noticed that with this receiver while watching TV if I switch to the cd input to spin some tunes it changes the video to a blue screen so I lose the video of the tv station I was watching. It is a pain to go into the tv menu and change the input every time and the receiver or remote has no video select button. I've owned previous Marantz receivers(SR 7200 & 7300) and I was always able to watch video and listen to a cd at the same time. Are there any more current Marantz receivers(refurb or new) in the $350 or less price range that will allow me to watch a video source and listen to an audio only source(cd) at the same time?

A

audiolover

Audioholic Intern
Anybody have any suggestions for a different model I could go with that would achieve this?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry for the lack of response. I looked through the manual for your Marantz earlier this morning to see if I could find a way to do what you want. I didn't notice anything, then had to leave, so I didn't post.

Let me take another look - I might have an idea. What components do you have hooked up to the receiver that you are using for video on the TV?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Okay, here's my idea (I confirmed that you can do this with your receiver).

You can assign the digital inputs to different sources. Assuming that you are using a digital input for your CD player and that you aren't using HDMI for both the CD player and video source, the you can do this: assign the input jack used for the CD player to the input that you are using for video. Then, to select audio from the CD player instead of from the video source: with the video source selected on the receiver, you can hit the "AMP" button on the remote, and hit the "A/D" button to toggle through the audio inputs for that source. Assuming that you are using your remote currently to select the CD input, then you wouldn't need to push many more buttons than if you were to use the remote to select the CD input.

Alternatively, you could get a remote control that can learn and run macros (sets of multiple commands). With that, you could set it up to switch to the CD input and switch inputs on the TV with a single button press.

A

audiolover

Audioholic Intern
Thanks Adam! Worked like a charm. Now i don't have to stare at a blue screen while I'm listening to a cd. I can still see what's going on with the preseason NFL action.:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis