AVR 2105 VCR Signal problems

B

billsun3

Audiophyte
I have a Denon AVR 2105 and am having problems when running the VCR signal through the Denon. It is a Sony SLV D 201P DVD/VCR combo. The picture is wavey at the top and jiggles back and forth. If I run the output direct from the VCR into the TV the problem goes away. The dealer from whom I bought the Denon says that the Denon will not accept the output from the VCR. I don't fully understand the technical terms, but it seems to me that this type of receiver should be able to accept the VCR output. Does anyone have a similar experience?

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
billsun3 said:
The dealer from whom I bought the Denon says that the Denon will not accept the output from the VCR.
Of course the receiver will pass the signal from the VCR. How is the VCR connected to your receiver and how is the receiver hooked up to your video display? Are you using the same output from the player to the receiver for both VHS and DVD? Is this only when you are using the VCR and not the DVD player?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If you don't need to use the receiver for switching multiple devices, then just leave it connected directly to the TV. I always recommend going direct whenever possible.

B

billsun3

Audiophyte
Duffinator said:
Of course the receiver will pass the signal from the VCR. How is the VCR connected to your receiver and how is the receiver hooked up to your video display? Are you using the same output from the player to the receiver for both VHS and DVD? Is this only when you are using the VCR and not the DVD player?
I cannot fully answer the question as I have not done the set up work. I do know that I am using monster cables and that the connection to the receiver is from the video output on the Soncy VCR/DVD combo machine to the VCR video input on the receiver. But I am not sure how it gets to the TV. If this is critical to know how to solve the problem I can look at this when I am home and get back to you. No the ouputs from the VCR are different for the VHS and DVD and the DVD picture is great. Is there any advantage to going through the receiver when showing VHS? I do have a pronto remote control. Is there any advantage to going through the receiver? If I go direct to the TV bypassing the receiver, does that mean that I will not be able to use the features of the pronto remote?

B

billsun3

Audiophyte
j_garcia said:
If you don't need to use the receiver for switching multiple devices, then just leave it connected directly to the TV. I always recommend going direct whenever possible.
I do have a pronto remote and do want to be able to switch between various components. If I go direct does that mean I can't use the remote or is it too difficult to program the remote that way?

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
billsun3 said:
I do have a pronto remote and do want to be able to switch between various components. If I go direct does that mean I can't use the remote or is it too difficult to program the remote that way?
I used to recommend always going directly from source to display but don't anymore. I'm using my Denon 3805 for switching HD and progressive scan DVD with no loss in picture quality. The convience factor out weights any theoretical loss of picture quality for me. I'm not familiar how the output from a DVD/VCR is handled but I would think you should only have one component cable that transmits both the 480P from the DVD and the 480i from the VCR. Sounds like something is not right with the output from your combo unit as all the receiver does is pass the signal through to your monitor with no processing.

I've setup a Denon 1905 where we switch a 480P DVD player, 1080i HD cable box, and a 480i VCR with no problems.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
"Convenience" of a few button presses doesn't really sell me on the idea. If you have enough inputs on your TV, I don't see the advantage, since you have to have the receiver on to switch... IMO, signal loss isn't a problem with recent receivers.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis