Official Denon AVR-5805 Review Support Thread

G

Geoh

Junior Audioholic
gene said:
Not yet, Denon has been running in caterpillar mode (reference Hunt for Red October) for the past couple of weeks. I will be meeting with them in July at a press conference and will re-inquire then.
I heard the DL3 upgrade is available in Europe for the 3910 but not the 5910 or 5900. A friend of mine is going to burn the firmware to disc and try it on his 3910.

geoh

E

edgeyboy

Audiophyte
Anyone know if the bug that affected the AVR5805 that meant the Audyssey was not working below 40Hz also affects the AVCA11XV / AVR4806 in the same manner ?

P

petermwilson

Audioholic
Hi,

Thankyou for a most comprehensive review.

I have a smallish HT and use an upgraded 5800. There's no doubt that the 5805 is true to the Denon tradition of making the highest quality and most feature comprehensive Flagshps availible.

If you have a large multiseat HT I would imagine that the Audessey program would be helpful but just as I feel a proper ISF calibration is manditory for display calibration for someone who is in the 5805 rarifed atmosphere a HAA tech should also be employed.

I'm not sure if its true but I understand HDCP is to be killed on the scaling component output which only makes sense. Re gardless of HDMI the Faroudja scaling capability of the 5805 would be the only reason I would use the V in an AV receiver.

On upgraded 5800s and 5803s (if I understand it correctly) coax and opt 1 are to be used with new audio formats. Perhaps these or the 8ch analogs (2 sets) are for true 7.1 software.

If someone has a multi room setup and is in the cable business the 5805 has many laudable features, however taking advantage of them in a practical sense will probably be the purvue of builders in highly complex installations.

I find it hard in most of the multiroom setups I encounter not to recommend 2 5803s instead, particularly from a financial perspective.

Peter M.

P

petermwilson

Audioholic
Hi,
A couple of years ago I read test bench power ratings for the 5803 (or the UK version) which showed power ratings at 8ohms higher than the 170w perch (all channels driven).

Not to suggest that the 5800/03/05 are suspect in any way but are power tests standardized, do the manufacturers specs adhere to any "truth in advertising test norms"?

The significant variations consumers are exposed to in professional reviews could easily beg the question, What other performance differences do these products have.

In a way these variances may encourage prospective purchasers of a product to give the different levels of THX certification a comfort zone from watchdog performance guarantees. If these test bench tests are standardized, perhaps someone it the know could explain why results vary on the same product which would make sense to the buying public.

Peter M.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The problem is there really are no standards established for multichannel testing yet :rolleyes:

"All Channels Driven" is NOT a realistic test condition as we have stated many times in the past. Its a worst case test with an ideal test load that at best will demonstrate wall voltage sag on a big amp like the 5805, or trip protection circuits on entry level receivers.

The best tests are those that demonstrate an amplifiers headroom, SNR, frequency response uniformity, distortion and output impedance at various power levels.

We are working on a more real world test condition which will deal with assigning variable duty cycling between channels and burst testing much like THX does. The test you mentioned on the 5803 with all channels driven was likely done with the line voltage held constant via a variac, which again is not a realistic test. The 5805 has a much bigger power supply than the 5803 did ensuring it will actually deliver all of the power from the wall outlet minus efficiencies to the loudspeaker loads.

Here are a few related threads FYI:

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11460&highlight=channels+driven

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9772&highlight=powerhouse

Also our article primer: The All Channels Driven Controversy

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The Audyssey system is specifically designed to work within the dynamic limits of the AVR-5805. I don't believe it would allow enough boost that would limit the dynamic range of the system and compromise its THX certification. Also the boost it may exhibit at particular frequencies is not a broad band boost and only affects a very narrow range.

I certainly never heard any dynamic range issues with the Audyssey turned on or off in my experience. You do have to be careful as Audyssey has a tendency to make the top end a bit too hot if not calibrated properly. This is why I aim the mic at each speaker during calibration since the mic Denon uses isn't truly omnidirectional.

B

BamBam

Audiophyte
So if one wanted to make sure he got the latest 5805 (with HDMI updates, DL3, Audessey fixes, etc.), when would be the "ideal" time to purchase? Ditto for the Denon 5910 dvd player. I want to get this combo, and want to make sure I have the latest!

Thanks~

audysssey

Audiophyte
As Gene correctly points out, MultEQ XT does not limit the dynamic range. The amount of correction provided by the filters is such that the maximum boost uses all of the available headroom when needed (so that the average level of the filter is unity gain).

The mic pointing issue that Gene mentioned will also be resolved in the upcoming firmware release that will contain several improvements. The mic will now be pointed to the ceiling as it should be.

Regards,
Chris,
CTO Audyssey Labs

T

twominute00

Audiophyte
Question regarding setup re: Denon AVR 4802

Hi,

I need some help if you can spare a momment. I have a Denon 4802 and Infinity Intermezzo towers (each has a built in 12" 700w sub) plus the unpowered bookshelf speakers as rears and the MTS 4 way as center channel. I've also got a Denon DVD 2800MKII .

Question: I've got it set up as all "small" for all speakers and THX crossover on the amp. I'm in an apartment living room area so distances are set to small. I have not done any kind of tweaking/tuning of the sub for my room with a soundmeter. My towers subs have been put in bass position 1 with high filter set to OFF.

Is this the best setup? What other variables should be set to optimize my setup? Can someone please provide me an email response as I'm not sure I'll be auto-notified -- my email is twominute00 AT hotmail DOT com. Thanks,

Jay

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Denon DLink Ver 3

Update on DL3 Upgrade on Existing Denon Gear

Denon will have a posting on their site shortly, but for now you can call into NJ, 973-396-7494 directly to get the ball rolling for the DVD-5900 and DVD-5910 DL3 upgrades. The DVD-3910 DL3 upgrade is by firmware which Denon will send to users. It’s 7 discs so proceed with caution and follow the instructions. You may even wish to consult with your dealer.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Geoh

Junior Audioholic
gene said:
Update on DL3 Upgrade on Existing Denon Gear

Denon will have a posting on their site shortly, but for now you can call into NJ, 973-396-7494 directly to get the ball rolling for the DVD-5900 and DVD-5910 DL3 upgrades. The DVD-3910 DL3 upgrade is by firmware which Denon will send to users. It’s 7 discs so proceed with caution and follow the instructions. You may even wish to consult with your dealer.
Does this mean the 5910/5900 DL3 upgrade will NOT be via firmware?
Will we have to send our units to NJ for the upgrade? Please say no!

geoh

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Geoh

Junior Audioholic
gene said:
Yes, hardware upgrade is needed.
I don't get it, the 5910 is Denon's latest released DVD player. The 3910 came before it but yet it can be upgraded via firmware and the 5910 can't.
Very strange..........

geoh

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
gene said:
I am currently working on a 3 sub install on the AVR-5805 and will be writing up an article about it shortly.
Was wondering if you've finished the article yet, I haven't seen it. I would also like to know if the amps can be configured for 2 center channels. I'm interested in implementing a full 10.3(??) system. :D :D

G

Geoh

Junior Audioholic
AVRat said:
Was wondering if you've finished the article yet, I haven't seen it. I would also like to know if the amps can be configured for 2 center channels. I'm interested in implementing a full 10.3(??) system. :D :D
Yes, the 5805's amps can be configured for 2 center channels.

I've heard the upgrades (Audyssey, HDMI, etc) for the 5805 have been delayed. Maybe Denon should work on one upgrade at a time. Give us the Audyssey upgrade (fix) then go into the HDMI upgrade, etc...

geoh

P

petermwilson

Audioholic
Hi Geoh,

FWIW, my thoughts are that the specific upgrades mentioned are not Denon driven. Isn't Audyssey a separate company who'se product is sold to any processor manufacturer who pays for a software liscence? I would think that developing and upgrading the product is how they do business, so Denon is waiting on them.

HDMI would probaby be similar.

I have an upgraded 5800 which has inputs for future formats as well. If the software makers would just develop products for the hardware I already have like more DTS-ES Discrete and true 7.1 maybee the 9 speakers I have already plugged in would be used to greater advantage. I've read that there may be a second upgrade for my 5800/03 but I hope its not initiated untill audio formats make a couple of leaps.

Peter M

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis