NEW JTR Captivator!

Matt34

Matt34

Just saw this new redesigned monster.

* massive excursion 18″ subwoofer (30mm xmax each way, 4″ peak to peak)
* Bass Reflex Design
* heavily braced cabinet
* huge slot port for minimal turbulence and compression
* completely front firing for versatility

* optional 2000 watt RMS with balanced XLR

Manufacture Direct $999

http://jtrspeakers.com/home-audio/captivator/

Stereodude

Stereodude

Senior Audioholic
What's different from the previous Captivator?

Matt34

Matt34

From Jeff P. of JTR:

The all new 2011 Captivator is a bass reflex design with a 18" driver that is 6db more sensitive, double the power handling and the same cost!
The 2011 appears the same as the previous model with the new cosmetic changes to match the rest of the 2011 line up (rounded over corners, flatter black and light texture). Recommended high pass at 14hz.
It uses a similar 68lb driver to that in the Orbit Shifter.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1186832&page=8

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
This looks like a more classic vented design. I believe the old Captivator combined an 18" passive radiator on the outside with a 12" driver on the inside of a folded horn type box or something.

Stereodude

Stereodude

Senior Audioholic
It still looks like it has a PR on the outside to me. So it's now a bandpass sub like the Terraform?

Matt34

Matt34

It still looks like it has a PR on the outside to me. So it's now a bandpass sub like the Terraform?
It was a sixth-order bandpass, now it appears to be a standard bass reflex design with the 18" driver and slot vent.

The beefey 12" driver, 18"PR and slot port of this unique bandpass design:

Old stats:

Frequency +/-3db 15-85hz
Sensitivity* 86db
Useable Output ** 116db
Recommended Amplification up to 1000 watts
Impedance 4 ohm
Dimensions 30"x22.5"x20"
Weight 98lbs
Construction 18mm Birch
Exterior Finish Textured coating
Connectors Dual Speakon

Stereodude

Stereodude

Senior Audioholic
So then the picture in the first post is the old Captivator?

J

Jeff Permanian

Enthusiast
2011 Captivator:

Fabric grill that is magnetically attached:

Powered:

Passive:

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Jeff, nice of you to stop in here and post up some info...

I have yet to hear any of your products myself... Been to Mark Seatons gtg's in Chicago and he speaks highly of you and your products as well...

Do you ever plan to have some GTG's to invite people for a listen.... ?

Graphs look great for the new Captivator....

Patrick

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
impressive. i could ROCK those :cool:

yeah, a GTG would be great.

F

FIqbal

Audioholic Intern
Generally speaking how does this sub compare against well known like SVS, Rythmik, HSU etc? Is this better suited for music or HT?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
It can't have a PR and a port! It looks like a standard Qb4 box, vented via a folded slot vent.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
This is still at the top of my list of subs to get.
I have to wonder how it compares with an eD A7-900. Amplifier power vs two drivers. By the time you factor in shipping both are close to the same price, so is a pair of FV15HPs. I've never been able to find a FR graph for the monster eD. I am a bit confused by the JTR's FR graph because it looks much flatter than the official rated FR of 20-120hz ±4.5db. I'm not questioning the graph just looking to learn.

Stereodude

Stereodude

Senior Audioholic
It can't have a PR and a port! It looks like a standard Qb4 box, vented via a folded slot vent.
Sure it could. The old one did. ;)

A 6th order bandpass has two chambers that use Helmholtz resonators. One on each side of the driver. You could use ports on both chambers, use PR's on both chambers, or use a port(s) on one and a PR on the other. A 4th order bandpass has a sealed chamber and a chamber with a Helmholtz resonator (port(s) or a PR).

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Sure it could. The old one did. ;)

A 6th order bandpass has two chambers that use Helmholtz resonators. One on each side of the driver. You could use ports on both chambers, use PR's on both chambers, or use a port(s) on one and a PR on the other. A 4th order bandpass has a sealed chamber and a chamber with a Helmholtz resonator (port(s) or a PR).
Yes, but it would look something like this.

The other issue is that band pass subs above second order have unacceptable levels of distortion.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis