What is the current best bang for the buck projector?

Y

Yamaheart

Full Audioholic
I'm just curious and wanted to know what is the current best projector right now? Lets just say about $2000ish? Thanks.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I'm just curious and wanted to know what is the current best projector right now? Lets just say about $2000ish? Thanks.
It's either Epson (perhaps 8700/9700), or the JVC HD250 at about $500 over stated budget. I'd go with the latter if only for reliability, essentially no fear of dust blobs, highest fill ratio vs lowest (I use a weaved screen, so particularly important to me). What you won't get are things like an extra bulb, CMS to dial in color, etc. I look forward to obtaining a CMS with colorimeter one day.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I would rate, in order...
JVC HD250 - This is a LCoS projector from a VERY reliable manufacturer with one of the best real world contrast ratios on the market. For years JVC has been priced $4,000+ it seemed, so the new agressive pricing really puts them in the same ball park as others with an industry leading projector.

Epson 8700UB - Right on schedule, every year, Epson is putting out top shelf LCD projectors. They should! They are the manufacturer of the LCD chips which are used by most other manufacturers including Panasonic. Their new model is barely better than last years, but it is better, and now comes with a free replacement lamp. Heck of a deal right around $2,000.

Panasonic AE4000 - At $2,000 this one is probably the most popular projector for home theater from last year. It simply is a great product. Many people get sucked (suckered?) into the motorized lens functions, which help you with the one hour of setup, but then are rarely used by the vast majority of consumers ever again. So, what I think is far more important is that the Panasonic simply puts out a stunning image and is a projector which is worth owning.

From there we get models that are cheaper, but certainly aren't bad, like the Mitsubishi HC4000 (DLP), and the Epson 8350. Both are under $1,500.

If I had a GOOD theater space, then I would definitely be leaning towards the JVC, but I would probably go all out and get a RS40 around $4,000 or so because I'm a fan of 3D and I think JVC should do a killer job with their projectors and 3D.

Y

Yamaheart

Full Audioholic
WOW, didn't know JVC is that great for Projector? At $2999, that is great...Thanks guys...

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
WOW, didn't know JVC is that great for Projector? At $2999, that is great...Thanks guys...
They've been the class leader, for several years now, in the rough budget between $4,000-$10,000, ever since the introduction of the RS1 (which I own). It's just that as of this year, you can get a JVC projector for $2,500 now. ;) As BMX recently put it, they are now getting scary close to LCD price points.

PM BMXTRIX if you need a quote.

V

Vracer111

Audioholic
I think the Epson 8350 is the current bang/buck LCD projector without a doubt. For $1100 it throws out a ridiculously high quality image... I love it!

A

audiofox

Full Audioholic
Another vote for the HD250 from a happy owner (Thanks, BMX!)-I spent a solid month researching the current projector offerings from Epson, JVC and Panasonic before I finally pulled the trigger on the HD250. The 250 has been a significant improvement for my HT (it replaced a Panny AE900u), and I am already thinking about stocking up on spare bulbs for the eventual replacements because I am watching this glorious display so much.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
BenQ W6000

I've been using this $2,100 projector (bought from amazon.com) for a few months.

I absolutely love it.

IMO, it has great black levels, contrast, color, sharpness, and overall picture quality.

And almost NOTHING, including ANY JVC (including the $10,000 JVC) will come close to beating the BRIGHTNESS of this BENQ W6000 projector!

I think it is as bright as my other projector - the Optoma HD81-LV, except that the BenQ is quieter and has 100% better placement options.

As far as Contrast, Color, Black Levels, it will not beat any JVC projectors in any contests. The BenQ W6000 is pretty good, but not as good as the JVCs in these areas. But then again, hardly ANY projector out there in the price range can hold a handle to the JVCs in these areas!

But the question is, how does the BEST contrast/color/black level projector actually compares in REAL LIFE? Is the difference NIGHT & DAY?

I don't think so. I've seen the JVC @ my local HT store, and I don't think it is that much better to the naked eye in terms of contrast/color/blacks.

You won't know unless you compare them side-by-side, and even then the difference won't be NIGHT & DAY.

But in terms of Sharpness and Brightness, it will kick any JVC projectors' butts.

I don't know about long-term reliability though.

I heard that JVCs are really reliable. But I've heard people have problems too and needing service that took a few weeks.

Regardless of which projector you buy, it is recommended that you get a 3yr warranty.

Just another projector for comparison.:D

Last edited:
J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
And almost NOTHING, including ANY JVC (including the $10,000 JVC) will come close to beating the BRIGHTNESS of this BENQ W6000 projector!
FYI, the nicer you go with JVC (like $10,000) the dimmer you get. It's always been like that ever since the RS1/RS2. However, the new generation seems to be the first time that they all offer the same rated brightness, at least by mftr specs? There are sacrifices to be made when you add all of that on/off contrast. Mftr specs for the 40/50/60 in order are 50000, 70000, and 100000 to 1.

What JVC doesn't stand out with is ANSI contrast. However, some people argue the importance of the measured performance on this test pattern, where no one argues on/off.

Another thing people forget about JVC RS projectors is that they don't use any kind of dynamic iris, as does Panasonic, BenQ, Epson, in achieving their on/off numbers. Intrascene contrast should go towards JVC's favor.

As far as Contrast, Color, Black Levels, it will not beat any JVC projectors in any contests. The BenQ W6000 is pretty good, but not as good as the JVCs in these areas. But then again, hardly ANY projector out there in the price range can hold a handle to the JVCs in these areas!
I wouldn't say ANY. I might say ANY UNDER $10,000. There is a reason why there are a number of AVSers with $20000-40000 PJs.

What makes JVC special is that their black levels compete with the uber expensive ones. They just are inferior in other regards to the best in the world, so far as I have read. I've seen side by side screenshots of JVCs with SIM2s.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Another thing people forget about JVC RS projectors is that they don't use any kind of dynamic iris, as does Panasonic, BenQ, Epson, in achieving their on/off numbers.
I turn the dynamic iris off on both my HD81-LV & W6000 projectors.
I don't like the idea of anything "variable"; I like things "fixed" and simple.:D

K

kiwiaudionut

Audioholic
Yamaheart, your setup is going to determine your choice. The DLP'S cannot throw the same distance as the LCD or LCOS/DILA projectors. The DLP's also don't have an adjustable lense shift, so have limited installation options.
Start with your intended mounting position and then look into what best fits. Check the calculator on projectorcentral.com

goodman

goodman

Full Audioholic
I would rate, in order...
JVC HD250 - This is a LCoS projector from a VERY reliable manufacturer with one of the best real world contrast ratios on the market. For years JVC has been priced $4,000+ it seemed, so the new agressive pricing really puts them in the same ball park as others with an industry leading projector.

Epson 8700UB - Right on schedule, every year, Epson is putting out top shelf LCD projectors. They should! They are the manufacturer of the LCD chips which are used by most other manufacturers including Panasonic. Their new model is barely better than last years, but it is better, and now comes with a free replacement lamp. Heck of a deal right around $2,000.

Panasonic AE4000 - At $2,000 this one is probably the most popular projector for home theater from last year. It simply is a great product. Many people get sucked (suckered?) into the motorized lens functions, which help you with the one hour of setup, but then are rarely used by the vast majority of consumers ever again. So, what I think is far more important is that the Panasonic simply puts out a stunning image and is a projector which is worth owning.

From there we get models that are cheaper, but certainly aren't bad, like the Mitsubishi HC4000 (DLP), and the Epson 8350. Both are under $1,500.

If I had a GOOD theater space, then I would definitely be leaning towards the JVC, but I would probably go all out and get a RS40 around $4,000 or so because I'm a fan of 3D and I think JVC should do a killer job with their projectors and 3D.
Where would new Sony VPL PRO1 fit into this group of PJs?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I haven't taken a close look (yet) at the reviews for the Sony to give my judgement. Generally speaking, the Sony products are very good, but a bit overpriced for what you get and Sony tends to have terrible customer service and support, which is a real pain when it comes to projectors.

I'm not sure I can rate them as good as the JVC, and if I can't rate a projector as good as a competing product that costs the same, or less, then I tend to NOT recommend that people buy it. So, I push it to the bottom of the list. Even though the Sony may be a good product, if it costs more than the JVC, and performs the same, or worse, than the JVC, then buy the JVC and don't even CONSIDER the Sony.

At this point, JVC is a cut above everyone, but I believe that the new Sony is likely better than the Epson or the Panasonic projectors. But, it will likely be more expensive than the JVC which is equal or better.

Still, I haven't seen the Sony, so I'm basing this on my historical perspective and the review which I have not dug fully into yet. I do believe that the Sony and JVC are the two which are competing for the 'low-end' of the high-end projectors.

ntrain42

ntrain42

Junior Audioholic
Honestly I think there are ALOT of good value PJ's on the market now. My "reference" PJ is a JVC RS25. But I also have in my bedroom an AE4000 which is REAL CLOSE in performance to the RS25. I also just picked up a Mits HC4000 for about $1000($1500 shipped from Projectorpeople was the total package cost which included a ceiling mount and a nice tab tensioned 84" screen from Elite with the high contrast gray material).

Let me tell you, the new Mits HC4000 DLP pj, is real, real NICE. Its overall PQ is superb and honestly it does a few things BETTER than my $8k RS25. Its sharper with more depth and punch to the picture. Its colors are very accurate and its ANSI contrast and black levels are more than respectable as well. It really shocked me at how great the picture is. I have found myself using the Mits HT setup more often than the one the RS25 is setup in lately. ;)

I have really enjoyed my SXRD and LCD based pj's but the single chip DLP's have that punchy theater like look than the latter cannot provide. With that said I will probably be replacing my RS25 with the BenQ model that replaces W20k. Hopefully it will be 3D capable.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis