Mark Schifter To Be Sentenced Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
The intellectual elite don't like to find out their superior wisdom is wrong, especially when it comes from the lower classes.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
I had a phone conversation with him some time back. It seemed to be a bit of an eye opener for him as matters external to the raffles were brought out on the table. I think we're all more than a little stunned that Jason Serinus with his psychic powers and cadre of psychic friends were fooled by this.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
If you took the survey, which is now locked, here are the tallies.

1. What will MLS's sentence be on October 8th?
answered question 31
skipped question 0

Less than 6 months jail. 48.4% 15
More than 6 months jail. 29.0% 9
Just probation. 22.6% 7

2. Who will restitution be given to?
answered question 31
skipped question 0

Just the charities. 38.7% 12
Just the people who gave money. 19.4% 6
Both. 41.9% 13

3. Would you ever buy anything from a company he was associated with?
answered question 29
skipped question 2

Yes. Everyone deserves a second chance. 6.9% 2
No. He can go **** himself. 93.1% 27

4. Was immunity offered to anyone?
answered question 28
skipped question 3

You bet. 53.6% 15
Nope. 46.4% 13
So, now we wait.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Good Morning All:

As today is Friday and my day of reckoning in Court, I wanted to send along a few thoughts and all. These have been very difficult days for us filled with anxiety and sadness in many respects. I’m also sure that all of you have suffered along with us. I’m truly sorry for this.

Of course I have sat through these last few weeks with a fear-riddled heart torn and broken in many ways. I’ve also felt the overwhelming support of each of you in your own way and in your own words. I wanted to take this moment and thank you for everything. While great pain is present – so is a greater depth and realization of what each of you has meant to me –

I’ve also grown quite a bit Spiritually – and while I don’t often say too much about this in an e-mail setting… I can tell you all that the strength and joy I have re-kindled in this has meant more to me than anything else. *The core of who and what we are is (after all) what we are all seeking in this life – My strength and my "core" is all about God. I have found that missing ingredient again in my life - and I'm so grateful for this.

My actions have brought tremendous shame to my family and to all of my friends, and for that I apologize once again. I love you all so very much, and I’m truly sorrow-filled for the pain and suffering I have caused. But know this – I will NOT be defined by these events. *What I do in the future beyond my sentencing today will be all about finding that peace that a good and grace filled life can bring. I am ready to move beyond this moment and get back to the things I enjoy doing – and delivering on promises in the here and now, and on into the future. I have a bright life ahead… and I hope to be enjoying that with all of you… TOGETHER, as it should be.

I’m also very sorry that the last few weeks really enveloped my every being. I have not been there for all of you – and I’m really very sorry for that as well. Please know that I realize this, and again, want to thank each of you for being there for me and those around me during this time. I know it has not been easy on any of you in so many ways.

Well… I truly hope that either later on today – or Saturday that I’m able to personally write or let you know how I fared. While I pray for this… I also pray for each and every one of you. Your Grace and Love has shown through in so many ways. I thank you for this…

Peace be with us all…
I have a strong feeling this bloke is an alcoholic. This is a classic piece of alcoholic diatribe from the pity pot while on the fizzer.

If he is an alcoholic then he will lie when his lips begin to move.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Good Morning All:

I have a strong feeling this bloke is an alcoholic. This is a classic piece of alcoholic diatribe from the pity pot while on the fizzer.

If he is an alcoholic then he will lie when his lips begin to move.
He's gotta be on something to have pulled the stunts he pulled. I do pray the best for him and for all he's hurt. We all make mistakes and he really stepped into this one. But he was warned to change his ways several times and he didn't listen. Now he will bear the consequences. I hope he learned his lesson.

D

davef

Audioholic Intern
Pathetic. Thats his apology? His explanation? He is sorry that he embarrassed his family and friends and now he is going to move on to live a happy life in God's warm embrace? Good for you bub. His God is ok with him? Where are the real apologies? What about the people he used? What about the charities? To read that it would make it sound like he just underfunded a couple raffles or something. What a sick f&$k!
Good point, Jed. His statement was all about HIM and I find it insulting and offensive. Should that really surprise anyone? How about a flat-out apology to the people he hurt, the people he used, to the people he conned

My goodness! I pray that from today forward, I never have to hear or even see his name again. I am going to do my very best to wipe clean my memory of him... Good riddance!

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
I don't know what the sentence is

but here's the surprise. She's wishing him bon voyage and thanking him for everything he's done for her...the one...the only...Ms. Khabarovski!

Stereodude

Stereodude

Senior Audioholic
I went back and double checked my e-mail, even the spam filter, and nothin'... I guess I didn't make the cut. :(

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
More details to follow I hope

20 years probation, 2 years work release, 500 hours of community service

M

mhawker

Audioholic
I’ve also felt the overwhelming support of each of you in your own way and in your own words.
*looks around room*

Who's he talking to?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
He's gotta be on something to have pulled the stunts he pulled. I do pray the best for him and for all he's hurt. We all make mistakes and he really stepped into this one. But he was warned to change his ways several times and he didn't listen. Now he will bear the consequences. I hope he learned his lesson.
Mistakes are one thing and deceit is another. Preying on the willingness of people to give to charities is something I really don't like and it doesn't matter to me if it's a person or organization- anyone who does this can go rot somewhere, for all I care.

It never ceases to amaze me that the timing of people's "seeing the light" comes when they're about to be sentenced for some crime that they could have avoided. Doing bad things and waving it off because "God loves and forgives me" is one of the reasons I stopped going to church. The "Born again Christians" of the '70s really annoyed me. It seemed that most of them were involved with something that ultimately scared them into changing their ways.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Here are some more details regarding the sentence

The sentencing was scheduled for 3 pm MT. It didn't take place until around 4:30. At the sentencing there were two women present (older and younger) one of them being a redhead (dyed). While they were said to be family members, it's unknown just who they were (for now). A few other people were also present.

Although it was not mentioned above, he will have to make restitution. Those who have asked for the monies to be returned to them will eventually receive their money. Those who have asked that their monies go to the intended recipients, that's where the monies will go. I don't know what happens to the rest of the monies. That's yet to be determined by the judge. He did arrive with some money (checks I'm told...let's hope they don't bounce!). The total amount he still owes is north of $100,000. I don't know what the payment plan is.

The Victim Impact Statements (approximately 50-60...this is considered a significant number) and personal letters that some sent were ALL read by the judge. They had a direct bearing on the sentencing. In fact, the judge read quite a bit of stuff in addition like forum posts I'm told. One of the things that struck the judge was just how Mark's actions destroyed an Internet community fracturing it into largely two camps. There was also great empathy for DW's situation with his daughter. In part it's the reason why he was not given straight jail time. The judge wants Mark to obtain and maintain gainful employment so that restitution can be made ASAP. Jail time would have delayed that. The other things the judge made note of was how she never thought she'd become so facile with high end audio! Note that these forum posts here and elsewhere are still being followed.

Two years of work release means that during the day, Mark is to go to work doing whatever that may be (community service too) and then return to the Boulder County Jail where he will spend the night. After the sentencing he was taken there and is where he is at this moment. You should be able to go to the Boulder County Sheriff's webpage and look up the daily booking report tomorrow and see his name. So Hugh, if you plan on visiting him when you attend the RMAF, weekends sound good. Just call the jail and get the particulars.

Up until this time he was out on bail. The money he had to put up, 10-15%, just gets turned over to the bondsman permanently. As a condition of bail he had to surrender his passport. I don't know if he also has to surrender it as a condition of the sentencing.

It would be tempting to find out where Mark is working at this time and inform the employer of his situation. However, to do so means that restitution may never take place. It's good to keep an eye on things but if he's flipping burgers or selling cars, I suggest that we let things like that go so that everyone can get what's owed them.

It can now be said that there was no immunity granted to anyone. At some point, Mark was interviewed at his place of employment by law officials who essentially caught him unawares. As near as I can determine, he took the fall for the whole thing and implicated no one else.

I don't know the conditions of probation. That will probably come out later. There will also be a new booking photo.

There are also various civil actions in progress or being contemplated against him. Perhaps as they proceed the parties in question will either tell about them or give permission to have them posted in the forums.

That's about it. Please join me for a symbolic toast with the beverage of your choice this evening. As we toast, please remember the detective who worked hard on this case gathering information as she deserves our thanks. Salud!

Stereodude

Stereodude

Senior Audioholic
So he only has to spend the weekends in jail for 2 years? He doesn't have a job. I'm confused... :confused:

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
So he only has to spend the weekends in jail for 2 years? He doesn't have a job. I'm confused... :confused:
I don't know if he does or doesn't have a job. If not, he must obtain one. In the meantime, there's community service to occupy his time.

gonk

gonk

Full Audioholic
Chu's post sounded like he would spend weeknights in jail, too, with freedom during the day so he can work and start paying back the money he stole.

M

mhawker

Audioholic
Chu's post sounded like he would spend weeknights in jail, too, with freedom during the day so he can work and start paying back the money he stole.
From what I've read, Work Release can be set up different ways: Work during the day, go to jail at night; Work the whole week and live at home but spend the weekends in jail. I'm guessing there are other variations depending on the person and the crime.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
My understanding is that if he's not working he's spending his time at the Boulder County Jail and Relaxation spa. There's a lot of things to confirm but seeing as I just got the above information, I thought I'd post it and then worry about the details next week.

And folks don't forget! If you're owed monies you can still pursue legal action.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis