Bit the bullet and ordered a sub...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have a cousin there who can pick about any lock so I need him in and out before you get there. Stop and get a beer on the way home.
The dog might have something to say about that :) She tried to kill the delivery guy.

I'll pick up two. I am only 4 miles away :D

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
This is the same dog that welcomed me into her pack and tried to lick me to death when I came to the door the first time I met her? She's a scary one all right.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Come on guys, nothin too it with any of those subs you guys are moving.... I had to buy some freakin moving straps to move these things, nice and easy when they were empty, loaded up with 2 x 80lb drivers was another story... :(

I think I hit the 300lb mark with these new ones... thought I was gunna pop a nut... :eek:

That's a real man's sub right there.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That's only half of them...

This is the same dog that welcomed me into her pack and tried to lick me to death when I came to the door the first time I met her? She's a scary one all right.
That's because I let you in :) She loves people but she is very picky about who can come around the houses and us.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
For an 8MP camera on my phone, it didn't do too well today. Still, a pic is worth a thousand words:

I think it should suffice to say that I will need to find a new home for the Tempest :) The Empire doesn't have quite the same rumble down low, but it sure doesn't give much up and makes up for it in every other way. VERY nice with music.

Last edited:
R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
Nah, I'm a fricking dog whisperer. I can have them on their back waiting for the belly rub with one shsssh and a snap :D:p.

Sub looks pretty small...maybe you should send it back ;)

chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
let me know how you like it with the gramma pad, i've been thinking about getting one.

chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
oh and I have my system in a loft, with a narrow stair case to take it up. I strapped it to a dolly.. it barley fit between the walls.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Sub looks pretty small...maybe you should send it back ;)
I already nicknamed it "Tiny" :D

Chris, I didn't listen to it without the Gramma, but it sounds excellent with it. When I moved it from that spot to where it will most likely live permanently now, where the Tempest was, it had already left marks on the top of the pad :eek: The tempest has been on my other Gramma for around a year and no dents. It more or less fits perfectly on there which is nice.

Yes, Dawg, that is the Gramma from you :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Sounds good, huh? As advertised?
Yep. I actually got off a little early yesterday and was able to do a few hours of listening. Threw everything I could think of at it. It underwhelmed initially because I kept it turned down until I could see what it could do and of course, it is sealed so it has a different sound than the Tempest. War of the Worlds was the first thing I threw in and it seemed like it wasn't hitting the lowest stuff well, so I had to crank it up higher than expected. I found that I need to run it a bit hot to get that tactile feel, but higher up (30s?) like you said, it really hits clean and hard. It is the first time the dog stopped and looked around like "WTH?!" LOL. It easily pressurizes the room and most of the rest of the house too. The Tempest could easily be heard in the other room...this one can be felt in my bedroom. :eek:

Quick comments:

Master & Commander BD - never sounded better! Anyone who says this soundtrack has been handicapped is crazy. The cannons hit hard. The second disc I listened to :)

Toy Story 2 BD - Opening scene w/Buzz - lots of activation without sounding boomy. Tempest rumbled well with this one, but I could also heard it struggle a little bit with it cranked up - no struggling with the Empire.

Max Payne BD - after credits. This one starts high and drops pretty low. Lots of stuff in the room vibrating violently. Tempest has more rumble, but this one definitely hits harder.

Avatar BD - THX promo after credits - A little disappointing compared to the Tempest on the heavy hits, but sounds cleaner.

Up BD - Storm. WOW :D

Kung Fu Panda BD - WuXi finger hold - A little underwhelming compared to Tempest. Will have to revisit this one now that it is in its new location.

Music is where this thing seems to shine for me however

Nine Inch Nails: Beside You In Time BD Burn - Has a lot of kick but also some big, deep bass hits and is a track I always use to see how bass sounds/feels. Sounds like you are THERE :)

White Stripes: Under Great White Northern Lights BD - Catch Hell - This track has a ton of bass on the BD and it sounds amazing. One of my new demo tracks.

BT - Rare and Remixed CD - Dreaming - (electronica) super low stuff for music and it does well. Again, lacking some of the tactile on the lowest notes, but still sounds good.

Meat Beat Manifesto CD - (drum n bass) Every track has ridiculous bass and I don't think I've ever heard it sound quite as good as this. Fast and super clean.

Porcupine Tree: The Incident DVD-A - Sounds like a live performance. Hits hard without overpowering.

Pink Floyd: DSotM SACD - This one showed me what the sub was really capable of; delicate with normal stuff but potent when called for.

This is why I like sealed subs, and this is kind of what I was expecting. Being sealed, I was concerned about the lowest notes, however I am very pleased. I can hear that I am a little spoiled with the rumble down low of the Tempest, but I am sure I will be more than happy with this one.

Last edited:
R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
I've seen graphs for some guys that are pretty flat to 15hz. I've seen others where it starts falling off earlier, but usually no higher than 20hz. Most are using some form of EQ, either Audyssey MultiEQ (XT or Pro) or outboard EQs. If you put it deeper in the corner, you'll probably get more gain, but might not like it as much. When I sealed the Ultra, I didnt notice a lack of extention, just that visceral ported growl was gone, replaced by sudden, sharp attack. Sounds like what you're hearing. You probably have more midbass than I do now.

Sounds exciting...and a great deal.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I probably won't go with an EQ at this house and see if it needs it at the other one once we move.

I had to recalk one of the windows in the living room for the Tempest. The Empire has it rattling again :)

Sorry, I misspoke earlier. That is only 1/3 of them :eek::eek::cool:

Last edited:
Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
I'm not sure on the reason you need the Gramma, the whole idea of the Dual Opposed design is to have a completely inert cabinet with no vibration what so ever.

My new Dual Opposed subs got the test last night - put a glass of water on them and not a single ripple in the water. The single driver boxes would make the glass shake and the glass would float across the top of the sub until it wants to fall off.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'm not sure on the reason you need the Gramma, the whole idea of the Dual Opposed design is to have a completely inert cabinet with no vibration what so ever.

My new Dual Opposed subs got the test last night - put a glass of water on them and not a single ripple in the water. The single driver boxes would make the glass shake and the glass would float across the top of the sub until it wants to fall off.
I will try it without the Gramma as well then. I know it mentioned something like that in the literature. This cabinet is pretty hefty too.

chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
I'll wait to here your impression without the gramma :)

now i'm not sure I understood.. the tempest is lighter and did not leave ipressions in the gramma but the empire did in just a day? it is a beast thats for sure. i sometimes want to move mine and explore some different locations and then remember how heavy it is and become happy with where its at :) lol

as for master and comander i seriously thought my house was going to fall down, and I'm pretty sure my neighbors thought it really was. :D

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
It underwhelmed initially because I kept it turned down until I could see what it could do and of course, it is sealed so it has a different sound than the Tempest. War of the Worlds was the first thing I threw in and it seemed like it wasn't hitting the lowest stuff well, so I had to crank it up higher than expected. I found that I need to run it a bit hot to get that tactile feel, but higher up (30s?) like you said, it really hits clean and hard.
I've read where the Epik amps need a bit more gain to hit the sweet spot (past noon and beyond). I doubt running it a bit hot will hurt it as long as you're sending an unclipped signal.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Initially I had to turn it to almost about 1 o'clock, but I have it right around noon in the new position nearer the corner which gives it more gain. I am not worried about hurting it, this thing is a beast.

now i'm not sure I understood.. the tempest is lighter and did not leave ipressions in the gramma but the empire did in just a day? it is a beast thats for sure. i sometimes want to move mine and explore some different locations and then remember how heavy it is and become happy with where its at :) lol
The Tempest is larger, but because it is a sonotube and is only single driver, it is quite a bit lighter. The amp is also external for the Tempest.

G

Gov

Senior Audioholic
FWIW with my Epik Phoenix, I have my gain at about 1030 - 1100 o'clock and the sub trim at -3dB. This is with MCACC engaged and an Anti-Mode EQ. I NEVER run the Phoenix hot because it quite frankly does not need it at all :D

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Good luck with the new sub.
I've been running mine 10dB hot for movies, less for music, seems to work best in my situation.
My 2 cents.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis