Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
So I just got back from a cookout at Eddie's. He built this deck.

He also built this bookshelf.

He also built this wire representation of the human hand and keeps it in his house.
He's very proud of it.

This is Eddie's dog. He is ashamed of the depth of his love for it so he just refers to it as That Little F^%&er.

The dog only looks scared cause I was chasing it around with a camera and it did not want me to steal it's soul.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Is this your attempt to help me live vicariously because it's working.:eek:

I seriously felt connected to that dog.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
My Entertainment Center at Eddies

The back:

The front:

Detail at doors (need finish):

Glass to go in doors:

Mahogany shelves (recycled, wiring to pass through scroll detail):

Inside showing fan location and magnetic catches:

The idea is for it to be an inwall unit that sticks into the next room. The doors are on pocket door hardware that allows them to slide open. They don't swing out into the room. I'm only posting this as a motivational tool to finish with the finish and start cutting a hole in my wall. I really need to finish growing a pair big enough to start the hole. That means wiring the inside with house current and then running all the speaker wire out of the box and making it look like a pro did it instead of a scared girl. It means bringing all the walls up to snuff and painting them. It means work. I've just got to get this done this summer or I'm not going to be able to ever live it down about how long this has taken.

This is about 1/4 of Eddie's work shop:

These speakers loved up by yours truly truly crank ... B&W Manglers :rolleyes:

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I can see Eddie has done this stuff before.:D
Cool speakers too.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I seriously felt connected to that dog.
Because of what we call him? :D
Dog's real name is Chewy. It use to belong to Eddie's kid.
Eddie is in denial about it being his dog now.

I can see Eddie has done this stuff before.:D
Cool speakers too.
This gives you a little perspective, notice the tree growing through? As if that's not enough, you see the structure to the left in the water? That's a dam. Eddie fixed that with hydraulic cement to get the water level of the pond back up.

This is a side shot of what's below the cantilevered part:

The deck attaches to the back of the garage so there's a wall to hang speakers on.

That garage is around 3000 square feet and is well equipped with tools. The only downside is that he's about an hour away so anytime I want to do something down there it needs to be a day trip. I'm not going to spend 2 hours on the road to work on a project for two hours. I need to pack a lunch and plan to be incommunicado for the day. My phone doesn't work out there. My girl is after me to work on the entertainment center now. :eek:

T2T

T2T

Senior Audioholic
Very nice. I take it Eddie is a bit of an architect, too - given how he worked that nice cantilevered system into the deck structure?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Very nice. I take it Eddie is a bit of an architect, too - given how he worked that nice cantilevered system into the deck structure?
He worked that cantilevered system out twice for some reason. Something about the ratio of 1/3 out and 2/3 down. It worked out well though as it provided a convenient spot to store his kayak. Eddie's a carpenter and carpenters are good at everything. Our most highly developed talents are of a romantic nature. The term woodworker ... think about it. :rolleyes:

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Wow! Eddie's deck is spectacular, and so is his shop - not to mention his woodwork.

Those garage speakers look like they might be JBL. Do you know the model?

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I have a cousin named Eddie that also is good at woodworking. Hmmm.......must be something about the name Eddie. Or, perhaps it is in the water so to speak. Who really knows right? But seriously, that is one nice deck!

Cheers,

Phil

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
He worked that cantilevered system out twice for some reason. Something about the ratio of 1/3 out and 2/3 down. It worked out well though as it provided a convenient spot to store his kayak. Eddie's a carpenter and carpenters are good at everything. Our most highly developed talents are of a romantic nature. The term woodworker ... think about it. :rolleyes:
Yes, he did a very good job. But, I wonder what the building code would have to say about his railing. Where I live, it wouldn't come close to meeting BC.

First picture that comes to my mind is a bunch of drunks playing WWE and bouncing off those ropes....:D

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, he did a very good job. But, I wonder what the building code would have to say about his railing. Where I live, it wouldn't come close to meeting BC.

First picture that comes to my mind is a bunch of drunks playing WWE and bouncing off those ropes....:D
My father in law had a railing like that...didn't last long once the grand kids started to crawl around it didn't meet the WAF....;)...:D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
The rope railing will withstand the required weight to meet OSHA standards ... whatever they are. The unobtrusive nature of rope allows for a nice view of the pond's wildlife.

The speakers are Pioneer HPM-100's. The JBL brainiac that designed those 70's classics that you reworked the xovers for, Rich, jumped ship and designed these for Pioneers to compete with his prior design. I picked these up from craigslist and replaced a super tweeter and redid the binding posts.

Original:

Rat Shack part for the Jerry Rig:

The xover is on the back of that binding post cup. It took a little doing but I got it to work.

There's a road in front of the house that kids can get run over on if the fall doesn't kill them in the back of the house. Besides ... the parts of the deck that don't over hang on water have either stairs or ground to break your fall.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan

That garage is around 3000 square feet and is well equipped with tools. The only downside is that he's about an hour away so anytime I want to do something down there it needs to be a day trip. I'm not going to spend 2 hours on the road to work on a project for two hours. I need to pack a lunch and plan to be incommunicado for the day. My phone doesn't work out there. My girl is after me to work on the entertainment center now. :eek:
Alex, what brand are the speakers on the back wall?
Cool lights on the posts too.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
The speakers on the outside are probably Panasonic Thrusters or some other
POS that really needs to find it's way to a garbage can but ... they work.

I'm like Eddie's A/V guy and I'm working on an upgrade. ;) :)

The lights are solar charged battery operated photo sensitive jobs that throw minimal light.
Eddie doesn't trip and the neighbor kids aren't scared by the visual of a boot clad naked Eddie soaking in star light.
That's when the real woodworking happens.

Last edited:
J

jamie2112

Banned
Sick deck Alex,wow, your buddy Eddie does really nice work!!!

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Wow! Eddie's deck is spectacular, and so is his shop - not to mention his woodwork.

Those garage speakers look like they might be JBL. Do you know the model?
If I'm not mistaken those are Pioneer HPM series speakers, one of Pioneer's better efforts in speaker design in the 70's, 80's, whenever it was.

Edit: Should have read the second page.

Also, Alex is correct about the outdoor speakers, definitely Panasonic Thrusters. Panasonic marketed the Thrusters with their all in one systems at the time, but they also had higher end Thrusters that never gained any momentum in the audio market. Japan has always had a difficult time marketing speakers for one reason or other. The Pioneer HPM series is one of the more successful Japanese speaker campaigns of the period. Yamaha had some success in that area as well with the NS-1000 which is regarded as one of if not the best Japanese speaker to be mass produced. The NS-1000 still has a very strong market value and is sought after by collectors everywhere.

Last edited:
J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Very cool place, and very impressive. Alex, I'm sure you guys know what you're doing, but MidnightSensi would be the first guy here that I would bug about ventilation design/technique. He's attached PDFs for me before that get into a lot of detail about ventilation techniques for commercial racks, however, I'm not sure how much he can help you with this horizontal center . . . definitely worth asking though, I think . . .

T2T

T2T

Senior Audioholic
Eddie's a carpenter and carpenters are good at everything. Our most highly developed talents are of a romantic nature. The term woodworker ... think about it. :rolleyes:
Actually, my father was a carpenter - though, never worked to the best of his abilities because he needed a pint a whiskey to make it through a typical day; which was followed by about 6 beers in the evening. He died at 63 when I was 17. I learned the carpenter trade on my own by experimenting with all the tools we had at home along with shop classes in school. My biggest project was 3 years ago when I finished 1,100 S.F. of our basement - to include framing, electrical, plumbing, tiling and mechanical. I only subbed out the drywall and carpeting installations.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
If I'm not mistaken those are Pioneer HPM series speakers, one of Pioneer's better efforts in speaker design in the 70's, 80's, whenever it was.
Thanks Seth. We can always rely on you to identify older speakers from a photo.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis