Family Room Treatments

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
For some reason I'm loosing high frequency detail in my family room and fighting very slightly excessive sub-bass (Serenity's opening scene almost shakes pictures off the walls). Bass and mid-bass are fine but the lack of H-F detail is making me crazy. I want to upgrade to high buck speakers (maybe Song Towers) but not until I fix the room. My existing speakers worked great in my old house so all I can figure out is maybe reflections are canceling out the H-F details.

Anyway I'm looking at adding some treatments to my family room and wanted to run my plan by others. I conferred with ATS and this was what we worked out. BTW, the family room and hall have very deep carpet. Opinions?

I'll fill in some details to the drawing. The total space is 20' from the back wall to the entertainment-center's wall and 24' from the sliding glass door to the back wall of the kitchen. The kitchen cabinets are oak and there is no cottage cheese on the textured ceiling. The (speaker spot) distance from the TV to the side wall and the cabinets is 20" and the TV is a 52" LCD 18" from the back wall. The angled area is a fireplace. Yes it's all a tight fit.

I've discussed this with ATS and this is my plan so far. Two corner mounted backless 24" (W) x 48" (H) x 4" (T) bass traps at 45 degrees in the lower rear corners. Four 24x48x2" panels mounted above the couch along the back wall, plus two 24x24 mounted as decorative diamonds between/on top of the 24x48 panels, and two 22x48x2 panels on the rear side walls mounted even with the back panels. 8 feet of panels will (with spaces) cover 3/4 of the width-area of the back wall and will extend from 4' to 8' up the 12 foot tall back wall.

My fall back if this doesn't do enough is six 24x24x2" panels above the 24x48x2" panels.

Last edited:
sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I thought I'd share what the back of the room looks like after adding a few treatments.

Note: Photo doctored to comply with the family nature of the site.

A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
I thought I'd share what the back of the room looks like after adding a few treatments.

Looks nice!

Are those the microsuede panels? I'm planning to get a few panels from ATS soon, and have been debating on which fabric to go with.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Thank you. Yes those are microsuede. The colors are chocolate and shell. I've never treated a room before and I'm honestly shocked at the difference they make. The sub sits right below the statue and it was like sitting inside a subwoofer megaphone. The megaphone effect is now completely gone and the deep bass is balanced and pleasing. The treble and mid-bass are better but need the additional panels.

Now I have 4 small custom panels coming for the front and front right side wall where an echo is coming from.

Last edited:
mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
nice panels. those white speakers at the back look pretty low though

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
nice panels. those white speakers at the back look pretty low though
Yes they are low but they hardly get any use and even when they do they are so diffuse that they don't draw any special attention to themselves. I'd really like to move the sides down about 2 feet (still 2 feet above my ears) but there is a sliding glass door in the way on one side.

V

vxcalais01

Audioholic Intern
Very nice place indeed. With a 5.1 system, should he surround speakers be facing sidewards towards your ears like the black ones you have, or facing away from the back wall, towards the other speakers ?

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Very nice place indeed. With a 5.1 system, should he surround speakers be facing sidewards towards your ears like the black ones you have, or facing away from the back wall, towards the other speakers ?
With a 5.1 system the surrounds should be to the side.

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
It looks absolutely phenomenal, sholling! I love the design of the shell over the chocolate -- very classy looking. In fact, it's making me think that that type of design/treatment might look good in my place . . . Would you be willing to let me know how much money all that set you back?

cheers,
supervij

TheFactor

TheFactor

Audioholic Field Marshall
It looks absolutely phenomenal, sholling! I love the design of the shell over the chocolate -- very classy looking. In fact, it's making me think that that type of design/treatment might look good in my place . . . Would you be willing to let me know how much money all that set you back?

cheers,
supervij
Im sure it was a pretty penny ;) That isnt cheap i'll take a guess unless he made it himself about 1600 to 2000 dollars .

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
The six 24x48x2" microsuede panels were ~$57ea with the up-charge for the chocolate color, the two 24x24x2" diamonds were $30ea. The two 24x48x4" backless bass traps were ~$70. The corner mounting hardware for the bass traps was another $8.

6 x $65 = $390
2 x $30 = $60
2 x $70 = $140
1 X $8 = $8

The total was about $600 plus shipping.

I have 4 more custom sized panels being made for the front and side of the room.

TheFactor

TheFactor

Wow great deal I expected it to be a lot more . I just payed 280 and change for 2 GIK Elite 242's but I like them : )

TheFactor

TheFactor

The six 24x48x2" microsuede panels were ~$57ea with the up-charge for the chocolate color, the two 24x24x2" diamonds were $30ea. The two 24x48x4" backless bass traps were ~$70. The corner mounting hardware for the bass traps was another $8.

6 x $65 = $390
2 x $30 = $60
2 x $70 = $140
1 X $8 = $8

The total was about $600 plus shipping.

I have 4 more custom sized panels being made for the front and side of the room.
Mind if I ask were you got them ? a link would be great because Im just starting my room treatment and it looks like it would save me a lot on the rest of my room and they do look classy ! Thanks in advance

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Mind if I ask were you got them ? a link would be great because Im just starting my room treatment and it looks like it would save me a lot on the rest of my room and they do look classy ! Thanks in advance
ATS Acoustics They have a calculator to help figure out how many 24x48 panels that you need. Add one extra to that number for the microsuede.

Last edited:
TheFactor

TheFactor

Thank you so much for the link . What a great deal and they look very nice I cant wait to order some and thank you again !

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan

I want the unrated version!

just kidding. They look nice!

I wonder if those unseen mammary glands perform well as diffusers. You might be on to something. :p

TheFactor

TheFactor

I want the unrated version!

just kidding. They look nice!

I wonder if those unseen mammary glands perform well as diffusers. You might be on to something. :p
:eek: I was wondering the same thing :D Bet it depends on the "model" :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis