tub amp for ipod/computer

D

dman4383

Enthusiast
so, I've been looking for a small tub amp for my computer to drive some old book shelf speakers. The amp in this EMP deal looks perfect but they don't sell it without speakers. http://bit.ly/arUzn0 I was hoping to cut the cost.

Does anyone know where I can pick one up by itself, maybe even slightly used?

Also, i'm wondering, could I also use tub amp like that between my ipod and my AVR to warm up the sound?
ipod dock --> tubeamp ---> avr ---> speakers

or would the AVR negate the tubamp?

I'm a tubamp virgin, but I'm very interested in popping my cherry.

D

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
I'm a tubamp virgin, but I'm very interested in popping my cherry.

D
Id suggest learning exactly how tubes "warm" sound. After that, if you think pairing one with an Ipod or MP3 player is a good idea let me know. You could always use an EQ to roll off the high end.

D

dman4383

Enthusiast
those speakers do look nice. I was hoping to just buy the tube amp. I don't need more speakers. The amp looks far better than one of those t-amps, which a completly different and I'm not even sure if they make those anymore anyway.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
those speakers do look nice. I was hoping to just buy the tube amp. I don't need more speakers. The amp looks far better than one of those t-amps, which a completly different and I'm not even sure if they make those anymore anyway.
You can definitely still get t-amps... I was going to recommend one... whats your budget?

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
That emptek integrated is a hybrid design; probably a tube preamp or buffer stage with solid state power amp stage, possibly even a Tripath chip. It will work fine, possibly even better than a true tube power amp, but it's not likely to have any of those euphonic tube characteristics people seem to love.

The tube line stage will soften the bite a bit but that's about it. Tubes that operate at line level (ie in preamp duty, as in the emptek unit) are very clean, flat devices in general. There isn't much of the tube magic there; it's mostly all in the power stage tubes.

You can get tube amp kits that are easy to build for around $100 (check out some of the ads in AudioXpress magazine or the website) ... they're not the flattest things on the planet (no sub $200 tube power amp will be, probably) but the iPod has lots of eq options to deal with that.

Regardless of what you decide to do, be sure to use the iPod's line out and not the earphone jack for best audio quality. You can use a dock or just a cable that plugs into the bottom connector with RCA outs; may as well get one that you can power/charge with at the same time.

" ... Also, i'm wondering, could I also use tub amp like that between my ipod and my AVR to warm up the sound?
ipod dock --> tubeamp ---> avr ---> speakers ..."

That would not be a "tube amp" but instead a "tube based buffer stage". To work as an input to your AVR, it needs to be at line level output. To work as something to drive loudspeakers, it needs to be designed to push 4 to 8 ohms. The output impedances will be very different between the two types of unit. A unit that has a line level out <i>and</i> a speaker out will do double duty, otherwise it's one or the other.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
IMHO, if you plan to use with a sub, the 41-SE/B beryllium cone speakers have obviously better sound quality than any $1000 speakers I have heard (and I auditioned several including PSB, Totem, and Paradigm). If these had come out about 4 months earlier, I would have found the sound I wanted without going to $2000+ speakers to get there.
The detail of the mid/bass driver beats out both, the Paradigm S-2's and Salk SongTowers. It is not quite as quick as the Focal Solo6's. I don't know if the beryllium is the source of this performance, as I have never heard an RBH 41-SE speaker (without beryllium), but the performance is there.
In the high frequencies, the 41-SE/B's soft dome tweeter beats out any soft dome I have ever heard. Not quite the extension of the Beryllium or ribbon tweeters in my other speakers, but much better and clearer than any other soft dome I have heard.
I'm not saying the 41-SE/B is better than the Paradigm S-2 or Salk ST, but it is closer to them than to the $1000 speakers I've listened to. But I am saying it is decisively superior to anything I listened to with a MSRP of $1000 or less.
If you can afford the $750 give them a shot, you'll never look back. I'd figure the amp, with warranty, is easily worth $200 (I sold mine used, without warranty, for $175 and it disappeared very quickly with people lining up in case the deal fell through). $550 for this pair of speakers is an opportunity not to pass up!
You've got to figure, with all of the speakers Gene has listened to, when he decides these are the speakers he wants to own, they are really good. I quote from his article to reinforce my statement about these soft-dome tweeters:
"The imagining characteristics and openness in the top end of the 41-SE/B’s really reminded me of my cherished Status Acoustics Decimo reference bookshelf speakers that retail for more than five times the price of these little gems."

As enthusiastic as I am about these speakers, they do have limitations.
1) Bass. They are bookshelf speakers with 4" drivers. They are accurate and do not seem to have any low end hump in the frequency response (which, if properly done, can provide a fuller/warmer sound). A subwoofer is in order, if you want full range. I use a MartinLogan Dynamo (the sealed model), Gene uses a Velodyne Mini-Vee, and Majorloser uses an EMP E10s.
2) Size. No matter how great the sound is, these are small speakers. I have a modest home and with the sub and a good solid state amp, they fill my largest room (21X27X12) with great sound. However, I just don't know how much farther you could push them. If you buy these and depending on what other speakers you have and how large your rooms are, you may end up with your best sound quality in your bedroom or office.
3) Appearance. These are about as "wall flower" as a speaker can get, there is absolutely nothing noteworthy about their appearance. They are neither ugly nor beautiful, just small with black oak sides, a black cloth grill, and shiny black laminate on the top and bottom. Personally, think it is kind of cool to have such potent sound coming from such a nondescript and inconspicuous package; but if you are into a system that impresses before you even turn it on, these speakers will not deliver.

Dman4383, if you can go the $750, you might consider losing your worst pair of speakers and shuffling them all around to make room for these.

Sorry for the "hard sell". I have no ties to EMP. If these speakers weren't so phenomenally good, I wouldn't bother. As is, I want to share!

D

dman4383

Enthusiast
Wow, great input. Thanks guys.

I'm not sure I don't think I need my computer to be better than my Home Theater setup. (I'm running 4 Gallo Diva Ti's and a Strada Center, plus the sub there) I'd just like a little something a little decent for the office without sub.

Have any of you looked at the cheaper EMP package?
http://www.emptek.com/cs100_tubespecial.php

Are those speakers any good. (I was planning on just using the my old Boston Hd5's) maybe with a AMP like that, or with a T-Amp.

D

M

magic12kenneth

Audiophyte
Kew,

Thanks for writing the review. I have listen to Salk Songtower and I love them. But I need a small monitor for my bedroom listening now. This would be a perfect match. How is the sweet spot comparing to Songtower?

Ken

M

magic12kenneth

Audiophyte
Thanks for the link. I find it after I post it.

Ken

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis