TheFactor

TheFactor

Audioholic Field Marshall
You're welcome. I probably shoulda just kept my mouth shut, and just let you look at the graph. x-axis for size, y-axis for distance. Where they cross is the rez you can discern.

Anyways, yes, you pretty much want the biggest you can get. Of all the things that bluray gives us, I personally think the visual resolution has the greatest impact. It's what lets us go big to begin with. Remember, 1080 has about 6x the resolution of 480. There is a greater percentage difference in horizontal lines of resolution between bluray and dvd, then there is dvd and VHS!

IOW, even the Panasonic 103" plasma is not too big for you, but more likely perfect. Yeah, I know, sports car price tag.

S1 vs V10. The more you watch HDTV, the less you will care about 3:2. The more you watch BD/DVD, the more you will care about it. IOW, if you watch 60% TV, 20% gaming, and 20% movies, I'd save the money for sure.

However, it's with someone like me who uses the display for 100% movies that would be in a tough bind there. What I would personally then do is simply wait for the right display at the right price. You may not be as willing to do that, so I can only wish you good luck.

There is no doubt that the S1 is a better value, IMO. However, I just would do my best to avoid 3:2.

You can possibly look at last generation's tv's, like the 800u and 850u, but depending on the exact price, it may not be worth it. The current gen is supposed to be a notch better, and even if these models bypass 3:2 with 48hz, that refresh rate induces flicker for some people. OTOH, some would say the flicker is just more similar to the cinematic experience in a theater.

The V10 does it at 72 hz, so no flicker to our eyes.

48 = 24 (film) x 2.

72 = 24 x 3.

You see, if fits neatly, no "3:2".

Don't read the following: 120hz that you see a lot is accommodating because both 24 and 60 (video) fit perfectly as fractions. (However, lots of 120hz TVs are sorta BS, because they turn film/24 into 60 first by USING 3:2, and then simply doubling or 2:2 as they say). I mention all that just in case you didn't know.
I totally understand what your saying it makes a lot of sense to me now. Also my % of normal tv vs blu-ray is probably 70 vs 30 but its still going to be hard to decide but again your in depth description of the differences really helped and is much appreciated :) It will be interesting what I decide when its time to dig in my pockets :D But at least I know thanks to you and other friends here it will be a well educated decision :)

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Sorry this reply was suppose to be to your post and I replyed to BruZZi's post instead lol :eek: Anyway ....You know was thinking about the 65s1 but not only for the price but theres a few more around localy. Your wright theres about almost a 1800 price difference between the s and the v in a 65" . I wonder if i'll really be able to se the difference Im probably a weekend or two away from pulling the trigger so I better decide lol . But Atleast you guys like I said are keeping me on the Plasma path when I start wander a little off the path . Thanks for that link to i'll keep a eye on it for sure :)
Viewing the same HD content in the store I couldn't discern the difference between the s,g or v.....fwiw.:eek:

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
It's actually 96Hz. :)

Thanks. I was hoping my fishy memory was serving me correctly, but oops. (I've never owned a flat panel ever!) In fact, I am not even sure that the 850u is at 48hz, but pretty sure the 800u is.

I totally understand what your saying it makes a lot of sense to me now. Also my % of normal tv vs blu-ray is probably 70 vs 30 but its still going to be hard to decide but again your in depth description of the differences really helped and is much appreciated :) It will be interesting what I decide when its time to dig in my pockets :D But at least I know thanks to you and other friends here it will be a well educated decision :)
It's much more enjoyable to help you, because you are appreciative. First post in this thread says it all. ;) So, here's some more to chew on:

65 vs 60 vs 58 vs 50, side by side

65" is 17.4% larger than 60"

60" is 7% larger than 58".

58" is 34.6% larger than 50"

65" is a whopping 69% larger than 50".

What I then like to do is compare those exact % differences with the % differences in price. (To see if for every dollar spent, you get just as much display, proportionately). However, bear in mind that the largest sizes like 65", or even 60" for that matter, are sometimes considered as luxury items, and therefore have greater price hikes. Only sometimes though.

BruZZi

BruZZi

Full Audioholic
Thanks. I was hoping my fishy memory was serving me correctly, but oops. (I've never owned a flat panel ever!) In fact, I am not even sure that the 850u is at 48hz, but pretty sure the 800u is.

The PZ850 Models also refresh at 48Hz. :)

TheFactor

TheFactor

It's much more enjoyable to help you, because you are appreciative. First post in this thread says it all. ;) So, here's some more to chew on:

65 vs 60 vs 58 vs 50, side by side

65" is 17.4% larger than 60"

60" is 7% larger than 58".

58" is 34.6% larger than 50"

65" is a whopping 69% larger than 50".

What I then like to do is compare those exact % differences with the % differences in price. (To see if for every dollar spent, you get just as much display, proportionately). However, bear in mind that the largest sizes like 65", or even 60" for that matter, are sometimes considered as luxury items, and therefore have greater price hikes. Only sometimes though.

B

BirdHowdy

Enthusiast
Bestbuy has got the TC-P65S1 for $2299.00 with free shipping and 5% off with bing puts that tv at $2184.00 Thats pretty tough to beat in mho.:)

TheFactor

TheFactor

Bottom line on what it means is, buy the biggest screen you can!!!!
LOL I think I might do that :D

Bestbuy has got the TC-P65S1 for $2299.00 with free shipping and 5% off with bing puts that tv at $2184.00 Thats pretty tough to beat in mho.:)
Thats a sweet deal I might have to check that out , Thank you !! :)

TheFactor

TheFactor

Ok guys I decided to go with the V10 66" thanks to all your help and after some careful consideration but mostly because of all your help :) hopefully i'll get it by next weekend or the following week :D I did pickup a new stand today since my stand I have now is holding around IM guessing 80 or 90 pound center channel and 100 pound display and the 65" will be around 145 pounds:eek: my current stand is showing the stress of all the weight and didnt want to take the chance with my new Plasma . So figured I'd get a new one that way one last worry and could put it together now so when its delivered they can put it on the stand for me . Anyway I had a heck of a time finding a stand that had a shelf that would hold and big enough to fit the center because its around 37 " in length 10" high and around 15"in depth. I found that looking online they didnt show shelve dimensions so had to pick a handful just on looks and weight capacity then go there and measure . Well only one of my choices fit the bill out of 5 that I picked I really wanted black and or black lacquer but no such luck and I ended up going with one thats got smoked black glass top and shelved with steel braces under and dark cherry legs . It looks pretty decent though and if I finish putting it together tonight i'll shoot some pics for you guys in the morning hopefully with my center channel on it along with my old display. One things thats nice is its a taller stand then my old one by about 81/2" so the display will sit higher and my center channel . Ok well wanted send a special thanks to Jostenmeat :) and everyone who replied with all the thoughtful recommendations and taking the time to help me out and it was very much appreciated THANK YOU !!!! :)

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Ok guys I decided to go with the V10 66" thanks to all your help and after some careful consideration but mostly because of all your help :) hopefully i'll get it by next weekend or the following week :D I did pickup a new stand today since my stand I have now is holding around IM guessing 80 or 90 pound center channel and 100 pound display and the 65" will be around 145 pounds:eek: my current stand is showing the stress of all the weight and didnt want to take the chance with my new Plasma . So figured I'd get a new one that way one last worry and could put it together now so when its delivered they can put it on the stand for me . Anyway I had a heck of a time finding a stand that had a shelf that would hold and big enough to fit the center because its around 37 " in length 10" high and around 15"in depth. I found that looking online they didnt show shelve dimensions so had to pick a handful just on looks and weight capacity then go there and measure . Well only one of my choices fit the bill out of 5 that I picked I really wanted black and or black lacquer but no such luck and I ended up going with one thats got smoked black glass top and shelved with steel braces under and dark cherry legs . It looks pretty decent though and if I finish putting it together tonight i'll shoot some pics for you guys in the morning hopefully with my center channel on it along with my old display. One things thats nice is its a taller stand then my old one by about 81/2" so the display will sit higher and my center channel . Ok well wanted send a special thanks to Jostenmeat :) and everyone who replied with all the thoughtful recommendations and taking the time to help me out and it was very much appreciated THANK YOU !!!! :)
I just returned from helping my brother with his tv so I'm still awake:(. One thing for certain, now, you won't suffer from any buyers remorse....:D
Congrats!:)

BruZZi

BruZZi

Full Audioholic
Ok guys I decided to go with the V10 65" thanks to all your help and after some careful consideration but mostly because of all your help :) hopefully i'll get it by next weekend or the following week :D
Congrats !!!

The 65V10 is a great Plasma. :)

I did pickup a new stand today since my stand I have now is holding around IM guessing 80 or 90 pound center channel and 100 pound display and the 65" will be around 145 pounds:eek: my current stand is showing the stress of all the weight and didnt want to take the chance with my new Plasma . So figured I'd get a new one that way one last worry and could put it together now so when its delivered they can put it on the stand for me . Anyway I had a heck of a time finding a stand that had a shelf that would hold and big enough to fit the center because its around 37 " in length 10" high and around 15"in depth. I found that looking online they didnt show shelve dimensions so had to pick a handful just on looks and weight capacity then go there and measure . Well only one of my choices fit the bill out of 5 that I picked I really wanted black and or black lacquer but no such luck and I ended up going with one thats got smoked black glass top and shelved with steel braces under and dark cherry legs . It looks pretty decent though and if I finish putting it together tonight i'll shoot some pics for you guys in the morning hopefully with my center channel on it along with my old display. One things thats nice is its a taller stand then my old one by about 81/2" so the display will sit higher and my center channel .
I also had a heck of a time trying to find the "perfect" stand for my setup. After months searching without luck I gave up, decided to keep my IKEA TV stand and build a DIY Adjustable Pedestal Stand. :D

Last edited:
TheFactor

TheFactor

Congrats !!!

The 65V10 is a great Plasma. :)

I also had a heck of a time trying to find the "perfect" stand for my setup. After months searching without luck I gave up, decided to keep my IKEA TV stand and build a DIY Adjustable Pedestal Stand. :D
Thanks for 66 to 65 edit for me :eek: lol But yes it was tough but I think this ones going to work good .

TheFactor

TheFactor

Enjoy the V10 it is really great!
Thanks I was really torn between the S, G AND V but ... I learned my lesson everytime I get audio equipment I end up upgrading if I dont get the best I can at the time lol
I just returned from helping my brother with his tv so I'm still awake:(. One thing for certain, now, you won't suffer from any buyers remorse....:D
Congrats!:)
I sure hope not , thanks :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis