Thoughts on this System...

C

csm_274

Audioholic Intern
Just wondering what people think about the following system for a family room (not a dedicated home theater room) with dimensions of 18' x 17' with 10' ceilings:

Pioneer Elite Pro-141FD (60" monitor)
Pioneer Elite BDP-23FD Blu-ray DVD player
Integra 8.9 A/V
Aerial Acoustic 5B bookshelf speakers (left/right/center)
B&W CCM65 in-ceiling 2 ways (rears)
JL Audio F110 10" Fathom Sub (may add second sub later on)
High-end surge protection
High-end cables, etc.

All total, including installation and miscellaneous materials, I'm looking at 19-20K. Reasonable?

C

csm_274

Audioholic Intern
More specifically...I'd appreciate input on the amount being spent on surge protection and cables. I'm confident the components are priced appropriately (all total, they come out to ~13K). The surge protection and line conditioner will run about 1700, and the cables will run about 1500. The rest of the 19-20K includes labor, misc materials, brackets for monitor and speakers, etc.

Just trying to get a better feel for whether the 3200 for surge protection, line conditioner and cables is appropriate for this level of components. The quote was generously overdone so I'm not surprised in the end, but I believe it will require less labor and materials than quoted.

john72953

john72953

Full Audioholic
There seems to be a general consensus that 10%-15% of your audio budget should be rendered for your cabling needs. I suppose that adding line/power conditioners into that equation would up that figure to 15%-20%. On a 20K budget that would mean anywhere from $2,000 - $4,000. Seems like a lot of money, eh? I suppose it is, but I think the benifits are well worth it in the end.

John

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
More specifically...I'd appreciate input on the amount being spent on surge protection and cables. I'm confident the components are priced appropriately (all total, they come out to ~13K). The surge protection and line conditioner will run about 1700, and the cables will run about 1500. The rest of the 19-20K includes labor, misc materials, brackets for monitor and speakers, etc.

Just trying to get a better feel for whether the 3200 for surge protection, line conditioner and cables is appropriate for this level of components. The quote was generously overdone so I'm not surprised in the end, but I believe it will require less labor and materials than quoted.
Blue Jeans Cable for locking banana plugs, speaker wires, HDMI cables.

Monprice - Surge Protectors. If buying Monoprice speaker wires, buy the more expensive ones.:D

Don't buy anything from Monster Cable or expensive "Power Conditioners".:D

R

Robof83

Audioholic
15% is way too high of a percentage to spend on a system that cost $13,000. I spent a total of $50 on my cables and i'm 99.9% sure they would be indistinguishable from cables costing $20,000.

After about 16 cents/foot all cables sound virtually identically no matter the price, assuming the correct gauge.

Here is a good read for anyone wishing to learn more about budgeting for speaker cables/interconnects in the future

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/cables/speaker-cable-reviews-faceoff-2/speaker-cable-reviews-faceoff-2-page-7

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
There seems to be a general consensus that 10%-15% of your audio budget should be rendered for your cabling needs. I suppose that adding line/power conditioners into that equation would up that figure to 15%-20%. On a 20K budget that would mean anywhere from $2,000 - $4,000. Seems like a lot of money, eh? I suppose it is, but I think the benifits are well worth it in the end.

John
Please explain the benefits? 2,000 on power products is just stupid. 4,000 should get a person commited.

for a truly high end system you don't want to plug into a power strip or conditioner. Power strips usually only handle 15amps. Some amps want more.

If you want to use a power strip to consolodate I suggest you at least limit yourself to 30 bucks. I got my Power Conditioner for that and it's an APC.

For your speaker wire determine the distance of your runs before selecting a wire.

Don't buy monster whatever you do. They put cheap plastic in the middle of their wire to cut costs and stick it to people even more. This makes working with the cable a pain in the but. Plus their cables rarely holds to standards for gauge.

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

for most speakers 16 awg is more than enough.

8 ohm load/48 feet

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Just wondering what people think about the following system for a family room (not a dedicated home theater room) with dimensions of 18' x 17' with 10' ceilings:

Pioneer Elite Pro-141FD (60" monitor)
Pioneer Elite BDP-23FD Blu-ray DVD player
Integra 8.9 A/V
Aerial Acoustic 5B bookshelf speakers (left/right/center)
B&W CCM65 in-ceiling 2 ways (rears)
JL Audio F110 10" Fathom Sub (may add second sub later on)
High-end surge protection
High-end cables, etc.

All total, including installation and miscellaneous materials, I'm looking at 19-20K. Reasonable?
$20k is a killer budget. Are you sure you don't want a projector? You can afford BOTH projector and flat panel behind the screen if you wanted.

On one hand, you could save a lot by installing yourself, but OTOH they might take away some discounts as a result. I don't know just how much they are doing for you. But, maybe just having a handyman install the in-ceilings and run some wire for you could save a lot.

The high end protection and cables are a complete screw you. It is whipped cream and cherry on the installers paycheck. A lot of it, obviously, in this case like a 15% bonus!

Also, your budget can handle separates as opposed to receiver. Not that you'll really it, but you could. I don't know how tough those Aerials are.

If you want to be very nice to your electronics, you could hook up TV, bluray, other sources to a UPS for a couple/few hundred dollars. That's already more than what 90% of us do here, and even many think that it's not necessary. To hook up the receiver, you'd need a very beefy one, but then again it's not like you couldn't afford that either.

Dual subs beats single sub, sure. Room treatments are the next important purchase after speakers, but of course I understand how people don't like the looks. But that is indeed my opinion on the matter.

I have two systems, one of which is dedicated. The gear cost me considerably less than your budget, but I cherry picked demo's, open box, refurbed, used, bstock, etc, items. This budget got me separates, hundreds of lbs of treatments, 8 leather HT seats, separate electronics, JVC projector, 75 sq ft screen, JL F113, etc, 7.1 system, ceiling mounts, what have you. UPS, which I've since given to my brother (won't explain why here, it worked perfectly fine), everything.

oh yeah, my budget also included a great assortment of cabling. I've even used 15 ft, 25 ft, and 35 ft HDMI cables on the PJ. Total cost of those three cables might have been less than $100.

But, obviously I wasted a lot of time hunting and building. Services are a paid thing for a reason.

C

csm_274

Audioholic Intern
I keep hearing about the 10-15% of your system should be dedicated to cables. Does that include surge protection and line conditioning? Just trying to get a good handle before pulling the trigger. Basically, I feel comfortable with my choices in components (given my needs and the wife's preferences...). I'm totally in the dark with respect to the cables, surge protection and line conditioning.

Thanks for all the feedback. It's very helpful.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I keep hearing about the 10-15% of your system should be dedicated to cables.
And obviously we are here to tell you that is baloney. There are a decent number of pro installers here. You'll see THEM saying the same thing. They could calibrate your display, calibrate your bass management, print some room response graphs for you, automate your entire system, and they would probably tell you to get Monoprice cabling. ;)

Does that include surge protection and line conditioning? Just trying to get a good handle before pulling the trigger. Basically, I feel comfortable with my choices in components (given my needs and the wife's preferences...). I'm totally in the dark with respect to the cables, surge protection and line conditioning.
IMO, the most important thing that comes with a surge protector is the extra outlets! :) However, YMMV, and if you live in lightning happy zone, it's not a bad idea I suppose.

Thanks for all the feedback. It's very helpful.
Yep.

C

csm_274

Audioholic Intern
Feeling more informed about my future decision(s). Again, I'm not familiar with cables, etc. What is the general consensus on Transparent's equipment (the choice for my installer)? Is this a company worth the price or is it a case of paying more for name than quality? I believe they also offer UltraLink Cables. Thoughts on these?

R

Robof83

Audioholic
I'm not quite sure where that 10 - 15% figure came from. In my opinion, 10 - 15% is only justified when the system cost less than $500. In the case of a 20k budget, something like .005% or .01% would be a much better option.

Why spend $2,000 - $3,000 on cables when you can get the EXACT same sound quality and only spend $100 - $200. Sure you may get a "prettier" cable, but you have to ask yourself if looks alone are really worth that much.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Feeling more informed about my future decision(s). Again, I'm not familiar with cables, etc. What is the general consensus on Transparent's equipment (the choice for my installer)? Is this a company worth the price or is it a case of paying more for name than quality? I believe they also offer UltraLink Cables. Thoughts on these?
No opinion, but whatever. It's all about the name, generally speaking. Now, you COULD find some crappy cables, but for a mere couple of dollars more do you get all you need.

Check out this Audioholics HDMI Cable shootout. Please note that the last/5th test doesn't apply to today's technology yet. Just as a future proof thing. Yet, you will see the $9.52 Mono cable pass all tests, but a Monster 100HD cable for $399.95 NOT passing all tests. Granted, the latter is a longer cable... but the point is simple: IT'S SUPER EASY TO WASTE YOUR MONEY ON CABLES.

http://www.audioholics.com/education/cables/long-hdmi-cable-bench-tests/hdmi-cable-testing-results

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Inventory list

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023903&p_id=2794&seq=1&format=2

It's plenty usually. If you need to go in wall then use this

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023901&p_id=3844&seq=1&format=2

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10243

pick the length you need.

For banana plugs I suggest you look around on this forum. Somone had a great thread on them. I'll see if I can find it later. These are for convienence purely.

Sadly the Silver power conditioner sell off is over for APC. So if you want a power conditioner you're looking at paying too much.

If you have a local fry's they may still have some.

That should cover you.
FYI most amps are just fine directly on your power grid.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis