Magnolia Suprise...

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
Excellent price!
Follow the earlier recommendations and get an experienced calibrator out there to tweak it to it's full potential, you will not be sorry!
Some think because Kuros are top of the line, they really don't need to be calibrated.
Ironically, it is the control set that makes them a dream to tweak! Great performance out of the box, with even more to come!

I can not say enough good things about having a professional cal done.

You are in TX..this guy will take very good care of you!

http://www.accucal.org/

Personally, I would take experience and a nice list of referrals any day over a pod squad ;)

Chopin_Guy

Chopin_Guy

Senior Audioholic
Having a calibration performed is on my list for sure...I know very little in this arena and would love to see what this display could deliver when properly calibrated. For the moment, the best the pictures looks to me is when the set is in 'Optimum' mode and it uses the lights/data analyzer dictate picture settings. 'Pure" mode is supposed to be quite good as well but that looked dull to my eyes...

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
You are in TX..this guy will take very good care of you!

http://www.accucal.org/

Personally, I would take experience and a nice list of referrals any day over a pod squad ;)
Well said, Dale. Chopin, that guy is a regular at AVS I'm pretty sure. (talking about accucal).

Having a calibration performed is on my list for sure...I know very little in this arena and would love to see what this display could deliver when properly calibrated. For the moment, the best the pictures looks to me is when the set is in 'Optimum' mode and it uses the lights/data analyzer dictate picture settings. 'Pure" mode is supposed to be quite good as well but that looked dull to my eyes...
Well, when you say "properly", that is pro by nature. Otherwise, you can try calibration discs to get half way there, roughly, ball-park-speculating.

With the pro cal, you ought to be able to have calibration for every single source you own, and for each, day and night calibrations. That's a lot of calibrations! of course, something like that costs, but you'd be assured that you pretty much have the finest pic available for anything that you are watching, at any time of the day.

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
My favorite analogy is a 300 hp rated sports car..that only puts out 270. And you are required to take it in to the dealer for an additional $300 tweak if you want that extra boost.
Some will do it, some wont. With my leadfoot, there is only one option! LOL

M

mudrummer99

Senior Audioholic
Just to put you at ease, every BB calibration tech should be ISF certified. They also use a Sencore calibration system to do the job with. All the calibrations done by my local guy always look great, especially the Pio Elites. Go with any ISF certified tech and I'm sure you will be very plesed with the results.

Mike

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
Just to put you at ease, every BB calibration tech should be ISF certified. They also use a Sencore calibration system to do the job with. All the calibrations done by my local guy always look great, especially the Pio Elites. Go with any ISF certified tech and I'm sure you will be very plesed with the results.

Mike
I don't think the credentials are at question, or even the training. And if you check into ISF training, it's only several hours.

Experience is everything in my book. Not to say there are not very competent BB techs out there...but how would you know?

With someone very experienced and a list of referrals, most all doubt is lifted. I am all for giving the other guy a chance, but when it comes to spending money especially in these times, I think it pays to be more discriminating.

Just my 2c...<probably worth less due to the recession...)

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan

Mike
Again, what Dale said. From my readings at other forums, it's not about whether someone is simply "certified" or not, it's about how good they are. So, word of mouth is key I think, and if that accucal guy has a reasonable rate, I would do that route over BB.

Some bonus links for whoever:
Display Calibration Subforum

ISF Calibrators, where are you located? Please post here!

Display Calibration: Root Fundamentals

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
Again, what Dale said. From my readings at other forums, it's not about whether someone is simply "certified" or not, it's about how good they are. So, word of mouth is key I think, and if that accucal guy has a reasonable rate, I would do that route over BB.

Some bonus links for whoever:
Display Calibration Subforum

ISF Calibrators, where are you located? Please post here!

Display Calibration: Root Fundamentals
There are many fine calibrators out there, "Jeff", the one I recommended worked on my display took out a small handheld audio spectrum analyzer..and showed me my sub had very little output below 30Hz. He recommended a few I might try out.
He is into audio big time, from HT to auditoriums.
He uses very expensive equipment, but more importantly, he understands how to use them to their full potential.
You can read the testimonials on his website but also at avsforum, in the flat display threads. Along with many other fine professionals. If you are going to do it, do it right, you will not be sorry.

V

valvesnvinylfan

Audioholic
Thanks man...I could not be happier with both the display and the GF as well...Still some super deals to be had on plasmas as the new models move in. I was in my local high-end store listening to speakers and when I told the salesman about the Pioneer he said that the last one Pioneer they were able to get was about 6 months ago...
Yeah, I think I waited too long to look for one; now that I'm ready to buy one, Kuro pickings seem slim around these parts :(

V

valvesnvinylfan

Audioholic
Definitely, I used to see the differences between calibrated and non everyday when I worked A/V retail, and we got our set here calibrated. We got it pretty good with the cal discs and such; but those last few improvements with a pro calibration and proper equipment made all the difference.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis