newbie's dilemma: high end hi-fi setup for low $$$

K

kedzior

Audiophyte
Hi to everone,

Let me try to be as brief as possible, i've got 3-3.5k for new audio system, strictly for music - digital for a start, but planning to add turntable later on.
I need your expertise & advice on "best bang for the buck" setup, speakers, receiver, tuner, cd and/or dac, amp etc. the room is about 14'X12' with some furnitures in it. I would prefer all components to be same brand, except the speakers of course. i was thinking about Marantz, but is it the best "best bang for the buck" nowadays?

Thanks in advance

A

alexwakelin

Full Audioholic
For receivers, good bang for buck can be found from brands like Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha, Harmon Kardon, and Marantz. I might be stating something you already know, but if you are going to connect a digital source, you will want your recordings to be lossless. Mp3s will not cut it with high end speakers, all the flaws of that format will be glaringly obvious on a high end system. I will let someone more knowledgeable recommend brands for speakers.

AJinFLA

AJinFLA

Banned
What type of music do you listen to and can you post a diagram of the room layout, as to where the speakers can be placed relative to the furnishings/seating position?

cheers,

AJ

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
You will also want to take a look at places like Audiogon.com which could set you up with some nice components which people are selling used. While it isn't 'new' - you might save 50% or more off the new price for something which someone has upgraded from or just needs to sell.

I would not personally recommend Marantz as it seems like anything that Denon spends money on which turns out to not work very well ends up with the Marantz badge on it instead of the Denon badge. Just my opinion after seeing their product for years not hold up to the quality level which Denon puts out.

I would NOT think for half a second about looking at the same brand for things. Buy what is best for your money regardless of brand. A good receiver, with a good digital deck, and good speakers. Go from there.

J

John Bailey

Audioholic
You've got a good budget for music only. I'd spend it this way.

NAD C370 Integrated Amp - $800
NAD C425 Tuner 300
NAD C542 CD Player 500
Total for Elect. $1,600

I'd go listen to all kinds of speakers because they are very personal. That being said, my favourites are:

Axiom M60/M80 $1,000/1,500
Monitor Audio SR6/8 1,100/1,600
PBS Imagine T 1,000
Magnepan 1.6QR 1,800

John

Last edited by a moderator:
WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
If you want to have the best bang for the buck, you need to of course forget about full range towers. They are too expensive in relation to performance you can get. You need to focus on the best possible bookshelf speakers possible and combine them with stereo subwoofers to effect a full range speaker system. As such, you need to use a powerful DSP xover such as the Behringer DCX2496 to enable seamless integration of bookshelf speakers and subwoofers. In addition, the DCX has powerful filters that will allow you to achieve a wide variety of tonal signatures so that you can adjust the sound to your preference(s). I won't even bother with the consumer amplifiers mentioned so far. A Yamaha P2500S is a superb quality amplifier that is relatively low cost for it's high power performance and will also connect to the DCX device easily(XLR). Trying to keep everything the same brand is pointless if you want the highest performance for the dollar. I don't know how you would find a device like the DCX2496 in the same brand as your other gear. Do you seriously want to give up performance just so that all of the name badges match?

-Chris

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
If you want to have the best bang for the buck, you need to of course forget about full range towers. They are too expensive in relation to performance you can get. You need to focus on the best possible bookshelf speakers possible and combine them with stereo subwoofers to effect a full range speaker system. As such, you need to use a powerful DSP xover such as the Behringer DCX2496 to enable seamless integration of bookshelf speakers and subwoofers. In addition, the DCX has powerful filters that will allow you to achieve a wide variety of tonal signatures so that you can adjust the sound to your preference(s). I won't even bother with the consumer amplifiers mentioned so far. A Yamaha P2500S is a superb quality amplifier that is relatively low cost for it's high power performance and will also connect to the DCX device easily(XLR). Trying to keep everything the same brand is pointless if you want the highest performance for the dollar. I don't know how you would find a device like the DCX2496 in the same brand as your other gear. Do you seriously want to give up performance just so that all of the name badges match?

-Chris
Chris, would a Behringer ep2500 also fill the bill. Even on the mains.
The OP could pick up 2 of them 1 to drive the subs and 1 to drive the bookshelves. I know the power requirements of the bookshelves would be much lower than the ep2500 could provide,but as long as you watch the gain the OP would be ok?

Then build a couple of Perfect subs Pair them with a very good DiY bookshelf and he would have a very sick system IMO.

Thirsty93

Thirsty93

Audioholic
You will also want to take a look at places like Audiogon.com which could set you up with some nice components which people are selling used. While it isn't 'new' - you might save 50% or more off the new price for something which someone has upgraded from or just needs to sell.

I would not personally recommend Marantz as it seems like anything that Denon spends money on which turns out to not work very well ends up with the Marantz badge on it instead of the Denon badge. Just my opinion after seeing their product for years not hold up to the quality level which Denon puts out.

I would NOT think for half a second about looking at the same brand for things. Buy what is best for your money regardless of brand. A good receiver, with a good digital deck, and good speakers. Go from there.
+1
You can find some very good stuff on audiogon,ebay.Just make sure you do your homework and asked a bunch of questions.I got all of my new upgrades of of the internet.

K

kedzior

Audiophyte
Thanks a lot for everone's input, here are the answers: i listen to all kinds of music, except cllassical & i will post the room layout as soon as i can post pictures here. Btw, how long does it take? i'm opting for 2 channel & sub(s) - if there is any $ left for it. i am willing to sacrifice the same brand thing - not a big deal. I've been watching audiogon auctions/sales for while, however the spectrum of the brands & equipment offered there knocks my socks off

Hipnotic4

Hipnotic4

Full Audioholic
Not sure if it was mentioned, but check places like Audiogon for some used gear at decent prices. They also have lots of "high-end" stuff...

3-3.5 price point will get you more than a "bang for your buck" system. Shop around, deals are everywhere..

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
WmAx

Would you kindly oblige to answer a question or two I might have? Of course, I am familiar with your recommendation, but could you please outline what kind of compromises would be incurred if one was to use a single subwoofer, playing mono, with a pair of bookshelves?

You mentioned once . . . as long as the sub was within a quarter wavelength of the xover point . . . or something like that? Perhaps this implies that with a smaller room, or smaller distance between the speakers could one more easily more compromise with one subwoofer? Any other tweaks to make this compromise more feasible? I suppose lower xover point, but I fear that cannot be low enough in most cases. . .

I'm sure you've already answered this, but you would be kind to humor me. :)

Thanks.

kedzior, I think the first thing is that you ought to select the speakers first. I also use an integrated, which saves considerable money, but I now wish I had separates so I could easily implement EQ/room correction. Now, I can still use my integrated as either a dedicated 2ch pre/pro, or 2ch amp . . . but still.

Last edited:
K

kedzior

Audiophyte
could someone look at audiogon speaker offers and tell if there is anything worth my attention at the moment? Maybe that's too much to ask. It's all so confusing, every item posted there is by different manufacturer, everything has different specs, prices and so on. Which one is a good deal? I'm lost. What feautres should i look at? i have to somehow narrow the serach or just educate myself more in that area. Any good books/web site recommendations about speakers:confused:

K

kedzior

Audiophyte
i'll try to come up with the room plan tomorrow, i'm having a second thought on that and the system will end up in my living room, thx.

Thirsty93

Thirsty93

Audioholic
Do you have any "High end" audio places by you?If you do go in and get to know the people in the store.You can act like your going to buy and get alot of info and listen to some systems.

C

ChristopherN

Enthusiast
Why hasn't anyone mention Pioneer or Kenwood?

Sorry for my ignornance, I'm not very knowledgeable in the +$800 market.

K

kedzior

Audiophyte
what do you think about these speakers: B&W 705 for $900, and Usher BE-718 for $1925 (Audiogon class.), also please see next post for my living room layout, i should be able to post a link already

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi to everone,

Let me try to be as brief as possible, i've got 3-3.5k for new audio system, strictly for music - digital for a start, but planning to add turntable later on.
I need your expertise & advice on "best bang for the buck" setup, speakers, receiver, tuner, cd and/or dac, amp etc. the room is about 14'X12' with some furnitures in it. I would prefer all components to be same brand, except the speakers of course. i was thinking about Marantz, but is it the best "best bang for the buck" nowadays?

Thanks in advance
Honestly, $3000-$3500 isn't really low dollars and you should be able to get a very good sounding system for that price. Used will obviously get more bang for the bucks.

DO NOT worry about whether the equipment is all one brand. It may look nice but you will sacrifice sound quality by not picking each piece based on it's own merits. The name really means little and is only for identification. Many established companies have made equipment that didn't make the grade. Listen to each piece and if it sounds good, buy it if it's in the budget.

Get the best price you can but if you pick each piece separately, you'll have a better system.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis