PlayStation 3 Exec Bashes Xbox 360

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Fresh jabs were delivered from the Sony camp directed squarely at Microsoft’s jaw. Sony Computer Entertainment chairman Kazuo Hirai did his best Nikita Khrushchev impersonation in a talk to PlayStation Magazine. He expressed his view that PS3 has history on its side and will be around to bury the Xbox 360 after it’s long forgotten. Ironically, he also stated his company’s position that the Wii isn’t even a competitor to PS3. So, if Wii isn’t a video game console what does Hirai propose it is - a sort-of gamey-machine-toy-with-a-stick?

Discuss "PlayStation 3 Exec Bashes Xbox 360" here. Read the article.

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
Wow. I'm a PS3 fan, and even that's just plain wierd.
The only things I have against the 360 were hardware related and coughing up the bucks to pay online; but even with that said, the Live experience is definitely more "on the road" and not as buggy as PSN.
Had it not been for the early hardware trouble, Seth=L owning a PS3, and worried about me paying a measly $50 a year, I would probably have gotten one.
I still think about getting a 360 and a Wii though.

What really scares me is lack of news I've been hearing of new releases. Thwack that in your jaw! :D

F

Fancypants

Audioholic Intern
I didn't read the linked article, so I don't know to what extent the Wii was discredited as a console. However, I would have to agree with what the Sony rep said per this audioholics article. In saying that “It's difficult to talk about Nintendo because we don't look at their console as being competitors. They're a different world...” he is admitting that it IS a console, by saying "their console" I mean, he addresses it AS A CONSOLE in the quote given in the article. I would also agree that the PS3 and the Wii are not direct competitors and that they are "In a different world."

I personally own both a Wii and a PS3, and they serve two COMPLETELY different functions. Yes, I will play my PS3 on a daily basis, and the Wii is not turned on as much, but if I have a half a dozen friends over the Wii wins out hand over fist as the better system for fun, interactive, multiplayer content. Granted, I love the online play on the PS3, but it is hard to play with friends in the same room because most of the multiplayer games don't support it. Furthermore, as more and more of my friends bring significant others along while drinking and having a good time, the Wii fits the bill.

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
Wow. I'm a PS3 fan, and even that's just plain wierd.
Would any of you PS3 fans care to share PSN handles?

On PSN my account name:

Epicondylitis

Friends me. I'm often sniping kids in CoD5 and I am very much looking forward to KillZone2.

Oh... my handle is the name of a repetitive stress injury I suffer on and off from a life of mousing, typing, playing video games and ping-pong. It's also known as Tennis Elbow. If I seem slow... that's my excuse.

About the game console/ Wii issue.

Wii/Xbox360/PS3 are this generation's video game consoles. They each take a different approach and are direct competitors - any way you slice it - period. Any effort to call Wii a non-competitor to the others is pure market leveraging.

Oh... it happens all the time. I used to work for a software company that specialized in "document management", they changed their marketspace by creating a new name for what they did... online content distribution... blah blah blah... it was marketing speak for :

We're only a small fish in the 'document management' market but in the "online content distribution... blah blah blah" we're number one!

F

Fancypants

Audioholic Intern
Would you then consider the new wave of cheaper BluRay players as competition for the higher end Oppo and Dennon players?

Also, I am not trying to argue, I just want your true, outright feelings on the matter.

I just feel as though the Wii and PS3 do offer different enough of an experience to not be considered direct competition. For example, years ago, when they first came out, I bought a Wii and not a PS3. It wasn't as though I chose the Wii over the PS3, it was a matter of me wanting a Wii. If the Wii hadn't existed when the PS3 came out, I still wouldn't have purchased a PS3, I was happy playing games on my PC. I suppose then I am really just recounting my experience. I only came to buy a PS3 when I had an HD TV and also wanted a capable and more affordable BD player (at the time).

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
Would you then consider the new wave of cheaper BluRay players as competition for the higher end Oppo and Dennon players?

Also, I am not trying to argue, I just want your true, outright feelings on the matter.
It's cool Fancy... a bit of a disagreement in a mature conversation is a good thing. I feel I learn a lot from it - right or wrong. This is really just an opinion so I don't think there can be a real right or wrong.

I know what you mean though.

When it comes to real hi-fi gear compared to cheap stuff - no I don't see them as direct market competitors.

The only reason for that is they're not sold in the same stores. Anyplace you buy a PS3 probably has a Wii just over on the next aisle. The same can't be said for a Westinghouse Blu-ray player and its Oppo equivalent.

I can't imagine you'd ever see a Panasonic HTiB sold from by the same retailer that stocks a Conrad Johnson tube amp.

Yeah, I know what you mean about them being very different.

Actually I think I edited a part of the story out where I said something to the effect.... If I ever actually owned a Wii... I probably wouldn't be playing it every day like I could easily play the other two consoles.

Wii would be used when I had friends over and that's about it. But I get really immersed in a game like GTA IV or Call of Duty.

ivseenbetter

ivseenbetter

Senior Audioholic
The Wii is a gaming console. Of course it is competing with the PS3. Heck, old PS2 are competition too. Somebody has to decide what “experience” they want. The PS3 one or the Wii one or the Xbox one. That is competition no matter how you look at it. I have all three…and yes, I like different things about each but as I bought each one I was making a conscious decision to buy them in a certain order based on what I liked. The 360 came first because I love Halo and Xbox Live…then I bought a Wii because I wanted to enjoy gaming with my family…and finally I bought the PS3 because I wanted a good Bluray player. I had different reasons for getting each console but I had to weigh those reasons and decide which I wanted first…to me, that means they are competing.

Heck, to me, the PS3 is really the only one I wouldn’t consider a console. I have never played a game on it. Maybe that is what the guy meant. He was trying to say that he isn’t competing with the Wii because the Wii is a real console while the PS3 is really just a feature-rich Bluray player.

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Audioholic Field Marshall
I would echo the comments that they are both consoles, but they provide totally different experiences. I think it's interesting that most gamers I know who own the PS3 or the 360 have gone out and added a Wii to their collection b/c it's simple to play and provides a lighter gaming experience. I doubt however, that there are many people whose first console was the Wii who went out and then bought a PS3 or 360.

I've actually been playing with my Wii much more lately due to the fact that the wife and I received Mario Galaxy and Shaun White Snowboarding as holiday presents. Mario is totally addicting- I just love trying to do everything possible! I'll definitely be picking up the PS3 hardcore once RE5 comes out.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I have a PS 3. I've never had an Xbox and never really thought of getting one. I briefly thought about getting the 360 when I used to have a TV that only displayed 480/1080, yet most PS 3 games were 720. So on my TV, games would get downscaled to 480! Lame. Supposedly the Xbox would upscale 720 to 1080. But I ended up getting another TV, so I stopped thinking about the 360.

I don't go online that much, so I like that the PSN is free. Screw paying to go online. I already pay my internet provider, why would I want to pay Microsoft too?

My wife's brother has a Wii. The bowling game is kinda fun. But I think it's a silly little toy, and I can't see myself wanting one in a million years. But I don't have kids, so I guess I'm not in the target market for a Wii.

And to the guy that thinks the Wii is great for when friends come over, try having a couple of drinks and firing up Rock Band on a PS 3, now that's a party in a box!!! Too bad you can't get any downloadable content on the Wii.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Wow! Is that what these high payed executives do at Sony? That article really proves the incompetence and the failed approach Sony has taken. This does not help what is already poor marketing on Sony's part for the PS3. Of course the Wii is a gaming console. I know your feeling bitter because you are losing massive market share in the industry to a kiddy console and one that overheats and dies. What does that say about the PS3? The ironic thing about this is even a company that has had to suffer a billion dollar recall is making money. How's that working out for you:D?

I know its an embarrassing situation for you Sony but my advice to you is put your tail inbetween your leg and SHUT UP! BTW Nintendo and Microsoft are not bashing you they`re laughing at you!:D

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I know its an embarrassing situation for you Sony but my advice to you is put your tail inbetween your leg and SHUT UP! BTW Nintendo and Microsoft are not bashing you they`re laughing at you!:D
What else would you expect a Sony exec to say? Does seem pretty stupid though. But Sony does seem to be getting their *** handed to them. Guess they're not so infallible after all. Other than the Playstation, I swore off ALL Sony products a LONG time ago.

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
I'll never own the wii. To me it's a console for little kids and senior citizens. None of the games really interests me. My fav games are on the PS3 or 360. I own both systems. Sony is very arrogant - always has been. The 360 is killing the PS3 in NA sales. I think eventually, the PS3 will catch and beat the 360 worldwide but I doubt it will beat the 360 in NA.

To me it doesn't matter. But usually when a game comes out, I buy it on the 360 for Live.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I agree, the 360 is outselling the PS3 in NA but that is most likely due to the fact that a 360 is about half what a PS3 costs, and now that there is a 3 year warranty against hardware failure, you really can't beat it. And with all the money you will save on the console, you can afford to buy several years worth of live service.

cym_city

cym_city

Junior Audioholic
I've actually been playing with my Wii much more lately due to the fact that the wife and I received Mario Galaxy and Shaun White Snowboarding as holiday presents. Mario is totally addicting- I just love trying to do everything possible!
Mario Galaxy is one of the most enjoyable games I have ever played. When I got it I couldn't get enough of it. Definately one of the more creative games available.

And to the guy that thinks the Wii is great for when friends come over, try having a couple of drinks and firing up Rock Band on a PS 3, now that's a party in a box!!! Too bad you can't get any downloadable content on the Wii.
On World Tour there is downloadable contents. You can get all kinds of new songs, some even for free.

One advantage that I give to the Wii is the ability to purchase and play your old games from previous outdated systems. The first thing that I did when I got my Wii was download the original Metroid and Zelda. I probably would have bought the console for that feature alone. With the PS3 don't you purchase one of the more expensive ones to get compatiblity for the PS2? If I want games with good graphics, I'll play on my PC. That's not saying that I wouldn't want a PS3, but I refuse to pay that much for any gaming console unless it can cook me breakfast in the morning, make my coffee and let me dog.

shenaniganz

shenaniganz

Junior Audioholic
I have owned every unit sony has sold. When it comes to game sytems I'll never own anything but Sony. Just my thing. I have played the big titles on the other incompitent sytems :) and never was all that wow'ed. I did like the first Halo though. But for a exec to talk mad sh** is pretty lame in my book...

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
But for a exec to talk mad sh** is pretty lame in my book...
No kidding! Executives do not care about performance, graphics, gameplay or a consumers enjoyment of the product. Executives go by strictly NUMBERS and MONEY and the success of their product. It seems Sony thinks consumers are fools, guess what Sony you don't fool us with your condescending statements to cover up your own failures.

Stuff like this make me so happy I bought a non-Sony standalone Blu-ray player. :D:)

Last edited:
darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Mario Galaxy is one of the most enjoyable games I have ever played. When I got it I couldn't get enough of it. Definately one of the more creative games available.

One advantage that I give to the Wii is the ability to purchase and play your old games from previous outdated systems. The first thing that I did when I got my Wii was download the original Metroid and Zelda. I probably would have bought the console for that feature alone. With the PS3 don't you purchase one of the more expensive ones to get compatiblity for the PS2? If I want games with good graphics, I'll play on my PC. That's not saying that I wouldn't want a PS3, but I refuse to pay that much for any gaming console unless it can cook me breakfast in the morning, make my coffee and let me dog.
I watched my wife's brother play Mario galaxy and it looked like the dumbest thing I'd ever seen. It was pretty funny watching him swing his little lasso around in the air though.

I originally bought my PS 3 so I'd have backwards compatibility, but I don't think I've ever played a PS 2 game again. If I wanted to play old games, I'd still have my PS 2 hooked up.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
Sony's arrogance is a big reason why they're in third place this generation.

"When people buy PS3, they're buying the Playstation brand" - Jack Tretton.

"I think it's too cheap" Ken Kutaragi (referring to PS3).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis