Official Yamaha RX-Z7 Receiver Review Thread

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
All;

I am receiving an RX-Z7 sample at the end of this week for review. Please feel free to post your requests on stuff for me to check during my review process and I will do my best to do so. This is going to be a cool review as I have two other receivers in house to compare against: Pioneer Elite SC-07 and Yamaha RX-V2700.

sticknstones

sticknstones

Enthusiast
Wittling down the AVR Options

All;

I am receiving an RX-Z7 sample at the end of this week for review. Please feel free to post your requests on stuff for me to check during my review process and I will do my best to do so. This is going to be a cool review as I have two other receivers in house to compare against: Pioneer Elite SC-07 and Yamaha RX-V2700.
Hello all and Gene thanks for the kind offer to test the Z7 if we had any requests. I read the HDMI Cable tests from your site and was fascinated by the results as the hype is all over the place.

Okay, Here is my situation or summary of equipment.

- Denon 3803 that I use for Audio only for the last two years given the HDMI Launch. Used in 5.1 today and tomorrow.
- DVDO VP20 (Anchor Bay) purchased to replace video processing by Denon and upconvert my old SD CRT plus handle the HDMI for cheapo Std DVD and Satellite since Denon did not
- Huges HD HR20-700 Satellite plus DVR
- Sony Cheapo Std DVD with upconversion
- NHT MA-1A 80W amp for Sub - External mounts in Cabinett with other AV. Probably 10 years old but works perfect!
- NHT SW2P 10" Cone for Sub
- Samsung 56 DLP thin 1080p with HDMI v 1.2
- Monster HTS 3600 power cleaner
- B&W N804 L/R with Cambridge in other areas (will upgrade the Cambridge later)

Interest:

I would like to either upgrade the amp to a newer AVR and am shortlisted to the NAD T785, Integra 9.9, or Yamaha Z7 with the Denon 5308/4308 trailing due to cost and the Marantz due to functionality.

I am also ready to go with the Blu-Ray now that the format wars are over and the unit prices are falling!

I have been reading all these forums with untold fascination and geez louize the choices can be overwhelming!

My Interest in the Integra and the Yamaha is that I can map two of the amps from the surround to my L/R which is desirable as I can bi-amp my B&W's that could use a little more love. So the Bi-amp optimize a 7.1 to other uses was big on my list.

1) COULD YOU TEST THIS AND REPORT?

I am also interested that Yamaha is in the minority of using a Parametric approach to optimizing all the speakers with proprietary technology versus everyone else using Audyssey graphical EQ!

2) CAN YOU COMPARE THE TWO? What is the real difference between the two approaches and it seems that many opinions on the Audyssey are out there as good and otherwise!

Third request is with the options on OEM for the Video Scaling where the big 3 seem to be: Faroudja, Silicon Optix Realta, and Anchor Bay.

3) How do they compare? What functions are included in the OEM version versus native boxes like the VP50 ( I know your eyes might be rolling as there is so much functionality in the DVDO sets but I am looking to learn and asking is free)

4) The AVR Hype is overwhelming! Torroidal Transformer versus not, multiple power supplys to support avr switching, heat sinks size in AVR's limited due to space and because of space AVR's limited to less than 150 Watt Amps. Boutique separates behind mass market AVR's. Okay please know I understand that in your role you need to keep solid bridges with all manufacturers but trying to ferret out all the angles is a tough match for us in the end-consumer trenches.

Can you Summarize the feature functions in a way that we can decipher what is really important for say a purchase that needs to have a 5 year run?

5) Lots of folks with interest in the DACs Burr Brown. I saw a post that had the 1791 DAC costing roughly $3 bucks and the 1796 at $12 bucks. Why would these AVR manufacturers be splitting hairs on a price delta that is this nominal? What is the performance difference and why the fuss anyway?

I may have mis-interpreted what I read and will humbly bow to anyone that loves to take flesh bites out of erroneous quoting but I sensed that the Yamaha only did 1080P at 24FS? Does it support faster rates?

I think the other guys and dolls had nice ideas but these are mine so I will thank you in advance!!!!

I sent an email to Aaron at Anchor Bay as I was thinking of upgrading to the VP50 pro and using separates but cannot seem to assemble a system that would come even close to what you could purchase with the all in one's.

thank ya sir!

J

Jeepers

Full Audioholic
All;

Gene, can you please compare the audio part of the Z7 with the Z11 ?
I know you don't have the Z11 in house but is the Z7 an upgraded 3900 or not or a downgraded Z11 ? I am not referring to the 4.1 difference but to the parts.

Furthermore I assume that the video part of the Z7 is better than the Z11's.
Thanks.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Thanks Gene
Could you post some results of the applied video processing? Also if you could tell is a little about the audio paramters setup, compared other to mid level avrs.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I would like to know how the Anchor Bay processing compares to Realta. I purchased the RX-Z7, and I also have the Marantz BD8002. What to do?:eek:

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I would like to know how the Anchor Bay processing compares to Realta. I purchased the RX-Z7, and I also have the Marantz BD8002. What to do?:eek:
Please try both and let us know if you see any difference and if you do which one is better. My guess is that unless you can do a side by side comparison it will be hard to tell. Too bad you can't do a blind test on the video side.:D

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I would also like to know if the RX-Z option of shutting the amp off makes it perform as a better pre-pro compared to the other two.

If nothing else, I am thinking the unit would draw less voltage. Can you check that too?:confused: Please, can ya?:p

P

Paul Clark

Audiophyte
Thank you, Gene!

A reveiw of the audio using Super Audio CD's (preferably recorded in DSD - Direct Stream Digital), played back in Multi-Channel 5.1 Surround, fed over HDMI to the Z7 while it is in Pure Direct mode.

A comparison of the Z7 with V3900 audio using the above criteria would be ideal.

Thanks again.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I am sure you will check 4ohm performance, but how about how the Z7 will do powering a complete 4ohm 5/7 speaker system?:eek:

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
great suggestions guys. I just got in my test unit and running it through my performance tests before sitting down to do any listening. I will also directly compare 2CH audio of the Z7 to the SC-07 and RX-V2700 if time allows.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
All;

I snapped a few pics of the guts of the new Yamaha RX-Z7 and Pioneer SC-07 receivers.

A few interesting things to note:
  • Both receivers are rated for 140wpc yet the RX-Z7s xformer appears to be about 20-25% larger than the Pioneers. The RX-Z7 has 2 x 18,000uF 71V caps while the SC-07 uses only 2 x 10,000uF 80V caps.
  • both units have comparible HDMI and Digital I/O's while the SC-07 has Component video switching for Zone 2 and the RX-Z7 doesn't.
  • the RX-Z7 has a detachable power chord and 2 switched outlets while the SC-07 doesn't
  • the SC-07 uses Faroudja processing while the RX-Z7 uses Anchor Bay's

Stay tuned for more...

Attachments

sticknstones

sticknstones

Enthusiast
All;

I snapped a few pics of the guts of the new Yamaha RX-Z7 and Pioneer SC-07 receivers.

A few interesting things to note:
  • Both receivers are rated for 140wpc yet the RX-Z7s xformer appears to be about 20-25% larger than the Pioneers. The RX-Z7 has 2 x 18,000uF 71V caps while the SC-07 uses only 2 x 10,000uF 80V caps.
  • both units have comparible HDMI and Digital I/O's while the SC-07 has Component video switching for Zone 2 and the RX-Z7 doesn't.
  • the RX-Z7 has a detachable power chord and 2 switched outlets while the SC-07 doesn't
  • the SC-07 uses Faroudja processing while the RX-Z7 uses Anchor Bay's

Stay tuned for more...
This is really cool! Don't forget your popcorn!

Gene, What type of transformers are they? Laminate, Toroidal , other?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
This is really cool! Don't forget your popcorn!

Gene, What type of transformers are they? Laminate, Toroidal , other?
Standard E-Core.

I also notice the parts in the Z7 are higher quality than in my RX-V2700 such as the PS capacitors, xformer and other key parts.

P

Paul Clark

Audiophyte
The RX-Z7 has 2 x 18,000uF 71V caps
For further comparison The RX-Z11 uses "custom-made 27,000μF block capacitors". The RX-Z7 power transformer looks to be of similiar design as the RX-Z11 which is described as an "Extra-large 10kg power transformer" and is pictured in the Z11 product brochure.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
A reveiw of the audio using Super Audio CD's (preferably recorded in DSD - Direct Stream Digital), played back in Multi-Channel 5.1 Surround, fed over HDMI to the Z7 while it is in Pure Direct mode.

A comparison of the Z7 with V3900 audio using the above criteria would be ideal.
The issue here is once you use bass management in the receiver, the DSD is converted to PCM which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I've read nothing that indicates converting DSD to PCM results in loss of fidelity.

P

Paul Clark

Audiophyte
The issue here is once you use bass management in the receiver, the DSD is converted to PCM which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I've read nothing that indicates converting DSD to PCM results in loss of fidelity.
Background - My discussion pertains only to Super Audio CDs (SA-CD) which, as far as I am aware, is the only consumer medium that provides a Direct Stream Digital (DSD) stream. Ordinary Red Book CDs are Pulse Code Modulation (PCM) only. Furthermore, the raw DSD stream is only output by a SA-CD player over the HDMI interface for copy protection reasons.

There are two types of "Pure Direct" modes out there. In lower priced AV models, such as the Yamaha RX-V661 (which I own) and other brands, in "Pure Direct" mode DSD does not bypass the Processor/Decoder. Whereas in the V3900 and Z7 DSD does indeed bypass. Which makes your point about bass management moot. This true "Pure Direct" avoids any conversion of DSD to PCM and instead the DSD is sent directly to the DAC's.

Converting DSD to PCM is arguably a big no no for many SA-Cd enthusiasts and is subject for lively debate which is not my intent here. The truth is that AV receivers that have true "Pure Direct" are sought after in the SA-Cd audiophile realm.

Please see: SA-CD.net/faq#audio3

The fact that engineers design true "Pure Direct" (no processing) in higher end models to circumvent PCM decimation in itself lends credance that the DSD stream should not be converted to PCM for the best SA-Cd experience.

I hope this was helpful and I welcome corrections and comments.

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
There are two types of "Pure Direct" modes out here. In lower priced AV models, such as the Yamaha RX-V661 (which I own) and other brands, in "Pure Direct" mode DSD does not bypass the Processor/Decoder. Whereas in the V3900 and Z7 it does indeed bypass. Which makes your point about bass management moot. This true "Pure Direct" avoids any conversion of DSD to PCM and instead the DSD is sent directly to the DAC's.

Converting DSD to PCM is arguably a big no no for many SA-Cd enthusiasts and is subject for lively debate which is not my intent here. The truth is that AV receivers that have true "Pure Direct" are sought after in the SA-Cd audiophile realm.

Please see: SA-CD.net/faq#audio3

The fact that engineers design true "Pure Direct" (no processing) in higher end models to circumvent PCM decimation in itself lends credance that the DSD stream should not be converted to PCM for the best SA-Cd experience.

I hope this was helpful and I welcome corrections and comments.
Using Pure Direct will bypass your system bass management. So unless you are running all full range speakers, sitting equadistant from all speakers, and have perfect bass convergence for your listening area doing so (highly unlikely), then you should NOT run pure direct and instead use the receivers bass management and time alignment to better optimize the sound.

Pure Direct is mostly a marketing gimmick to give consumers a warm and fuzzy feeling about their audio equipment. It sometimes reveals a slight measurable difference but its almost never audible unless the product was poorly designed in the first place.

As for DSD coversion to PCM, again, I haven't seen any credible argument that it will degrade sound quality. Just a lot of speculation but no real proof...

I will however attempt to test 2CH SACD in Pure Direct to see if I can hear a difference.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis