5 Disc DVD player, good or bad?

B

BobSD

Audioholic
Denon makes a DVD player 5-disc, it is model DVM-2845CI. Because I am short on space I thought it would be a good selection. Has anyone heard or owned this player? I would be playing more CDs then DVDs, but when the time comes I have the DVD aspect. Thanks!

P

PeterWhite

Audioholic
Denon makes a DVD player 5-disc, it is model DVM-2845CI. Because I am short on space I thought it would be a good selection. Has anyone heard or owned this player? I would be playing more CDs then DVDs, but when the time comes I have the DVD aspect. Thanks!
Denon makes no junk. I haven't owned this model but my early Denon DVD player worked very well for ten years. This changer appears to be top quality and reads SACD as well as DVD-Audio discs.

If you're short on space though, keep in mind that changers are big. This one measures 15 1/2" deep. The discs all sit on a rotating platter.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Welcome back, Bob. Here is a list I posted a couple of months ago.

heh, my only music source is cdp. no computer, never owned vinyl, 8 track, or ever dl'd mp3, etc. anyways, here is a list courtesy of OBCT a couple of months ago at AVS. FWIW, Ive never been a fan of disc changers because of reliability issues, but of course I completely understand their appeal to many consumers.

5 Changer SACD w/out video playback
Sony SCD-C2000ES
MSRP: $400
5 Changer SACD w/ video playback
Denon DVM-2845CI
MSRP: $500
Marantz VC6001 --OR-- certified refurb
MSRP: $700
Sony DVP-NC80V
MSRP: $120
Yamaha DVD-C961
MSRP: $450
6 Changer SACD w/ video playback
Onkyo DV-CP802 --OR-- HERE
MSRP: $500
Other multi-disc Changer SACD
Sony DVP-CX995V {400 Disc}
MSRP: $400
Sony DVP-CX777ES {400 Disc}
MSRP: $800
5 Changer SACD + A/V Reciever Combo
Sony AVD-C70ES
MSRP: $1000?

not on the list above are some nice Rotel units.
http://www.rotel.com/NA/products/Pro...25&Tab=1&Pic=1

itschris

itschris

I still use my Adcom 5 disc changer from way back when. It's kinda deep, but not very tall, just about 4 inches or so. I'm happy with how it performs... still even though it's not considered the latest and greatest.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
With the proliferation of the iPod, I think carousels and large changers have more or less lost popularity. I am not a big fan of changers either, though I have had a few that lasted over 10 years (Sony), all of them had problems over time - some that were easy to fix, others that would have cost as much as just getting a new player. Other than multidisc sets, I don't tend to have any use for having more than one disc in the player anyway, and if a movie spans more than one disc, I am usually taking a break about the time it needs to be changed. For music, I do use the carousel for convenience of access to a variety of music without having an iPod attached to that system.

itschris

itschris

With the proliferation of the iPod, I think carousels and large changers have more or less lost popularity. I am not a big fan of changers either, though I have had a few that lasted over 10 years (Sony), all of them had problems over time - some that were easy to fix, others that would have cost as much as just getting a new player. Other than multidisc sets, I don't tend to have any use for having more than one disc in the player anyway, and if a movie spans more than one disc, I am usually taking a break about the time it needs to be changed. For music, I do use the carousel for convenience of access to a variety of music without having an iPod attached to that system.

Good point. And you're right. I'd say most of my music it being played via our network connection to our PC. Unless I'm just planning to sit and listen for a couple of hours, I really don't use the disc player. But there is something about physically opening, holding, and loading discs. There's a tangible quality about it that I just like.

B

BobSD

Audioholic
Thanks for all the interesting replys, probably should have waited, but I ordered the Denon five disc changer and my wife found www.abt.com She found it for under $499, and I like the changer because when I am making supper,(wife is a bad Cook). Bob

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Cool. Congrats, Bob! Always nice to have some new gear on its way.

My question, though, is: Is your wife really a bad cook, or is she just smart enough to act like one in order to get you to do it? ;)

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I bet it's been 6 months since I have played an actual CD. Now, as soon as I buy one, I pop it into the computer, rip it and put it up never to be seen again.

B

BobSD

Audioholic
Just an up date! I got the denon CD player on Friday, and bringing it over to the component stand, as I tilted it I could hear something slightly shifting in it-not good!!! It did play( sound great), but when I stacked four disc it would recognize sometimes three sometimes four, and in the play all mode would sometimes only play two disc and stop. Not sure if it is because something is out of wack, but to get it to play two or more CDs you must turn on the TV and bring up the menu and tell it to play multi disc, but after you turn it off it does not remember that so you must tell it again each time. So it will be going back, and I decided to go with a one disc player that does the job well, I think too many things going on in a multi disc player. But I still like Denon products! Hi Adam, my wife can get away with anything because she had no problem with me getting the Martin Logan speakers and a Amp and Pre-amp. So now I have two systems, and half of her money paid for them.:) All you guys are a great help I really appreciate!!

B

BobSD

Audioholic
Thanks justenmeat, will check it out and thanks for all those other units, looking into them as well!

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Another PM sent. Please note. I just notify you here because you seem to act very quickly!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis