Denon AVP-A1HDCI / POA-A1HDCI Review Support Thread

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
Comparing the Denon AVP-A1HDC1 to the Anthem Statement D2 for instance proves the denon to be a good deal. The Anthem is about $500.00 less but probably can't touch this Denon. The Denon is well worth the cost, if the best matters to you!:)
I'd buy it but I'm scared of my wife of 31 years.:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Comparing the Denon AVP-A1HDC1 to the Anthem Statement D2 for instance proves the denon to be a good deal. The Anthem is about $500.00 less but probably can't touch this Denon. The Denon is well worth the cost, if the best matters to you!:)
I'd buy it but I'm scared of my wife of 31 years.:D
In terms of Audio & Vidoe Specs, I can't remember any Pre-Pros that come even close to the AVP-A1HDCI regardless of price!

The only things I recall that can surpass the AVP-A1HDCI in terms of Audio Specs (THD, SNR, Crosstalk) are the ULTRA-expensive stereo preamps from Mark Levinson, Krell, etc.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Comparing the Denon AVP-A1HDC1 to the Anthem Statement D2 for instance proves the denon to be a good deal. The Anthem is about $500.00 less but probably can't touch this Denon. The Denon is well worth the cost, if the best matters to you!
I'd buy it but I'm scared of my wife of 31 years.
This is one comparison I'd love to make but I am tired now :confused: I don't want to deal with all the cables :D

the Anthem D2 has really evolved over the years and I am confident its a solid product. Their top of the line amplifiers appear to be among the best in the industry. I am tempted to line up a review of these pieces.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
This is one comparison I'd love to make but I am tired now :confused: I don't want to deal with all the cables :D

the Anthem D2 has really evolved over the years and I am confident its a solid product. Their top of the line amplifiers appear to be among the best in the industry. I am tempted to line up a review of these pieces.
But the Anthem doesn't even have TrueHD or DTS-MA, does it?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
But the Anthem doesn't even have TrueHD or DTS-MA, does it?
I don't believe so, but it may be upgradeable. Lets keep this thread on topic but feel free to start an Anthem thread and we can research the product there. thanks.

W

W4ZOO

Audioholic Intern
I measured the 5308CI for Clint which he will be writing up the review of shortly.
Great review Gene, I have the 5308ci for a couple of weeks, with no reviews out yet, yours was a lot of help in understanding the setup and the way Denon thinks.

Is this a full review comming from Clint? and of course when does clint think it's going be posted?

Thanks

A

AVTguy

Audioholic Intern
Like everybody else said, "GREAT REVIEW GENE."

Been waiting for this one since September when I first stumbled onto the press release from Denon about the AVP/POA combo.

This monster device is definitely worthy of the title Reference Grade, and High End. I don't believe there is another Pre/Pro currently available that includes the Silicon Optix Realta HQV processor, the Audyssey MultEQ XT, and the HD audio codecs. I LOVE THIS THING.

I recently attended a Denon CI networking training seminar in Phoenix, AZ and our trainer stated that a very large difference between the AVP and 5308 is that the AVP has FOUR burr brown DACs/channel (not the two stated in the review), and 9 power supplies. This is compared to the 2 Burr Brown DACs/channel and the 5 power supplies in the 5308.

Very interesting notes about the Audyssey system. You've given me some more work to do in the setup now.

Thanks for a fantastic review Gene. Now I want to see the side by side comparison of the AVP versus the comparative Anthem, Classe, Krell, Lexicon, Meridian, and Mark Levinson products just to prove the Bang for the Buck (relatively) of this MONSTER.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I recently attended a Denon CI networking training seminar in Phoenix, AZ and our trainer stated that a very large difference between the AVP and 5308 is that the AVP has FOUR burr brown DACs/channel (not the two stated in the review), and 9 power supplies. This is compared to the 2 Burr Brown DACs/channel and the 5 power supplies in the 5308
I know what Denon claims with the 4 dac's but its kinda bogus the way they claim that. I believe they count the + and - of each DAC as a separate DAC. In reality they are ganging a pair of DAC's (actually the best ones in the industry) to improve SNR, distortion and linearity. Few manufacturers do this and Denon has been doing it on their flagship products now for years - starting with the AVR-5803.

Thanks for the comments and I am curious if you found my setup page useful and similar to what Denon recommends in their training. I haven't taken that course but would like to when they offer it in my area.

T

Tazmo

Audiophyte
Thanks, Gene, for a most exhaustive review of this incredible behemoth.

But I must say, your discovery of the volume scaling issue comes as quite a surprise. At this price point, and due to it's flagship status level, I'm amazed that Denon didn't address this before releasing it.

I'm also amazed that most folks in the various forums where your review is being discussed, are glossing right past a not-so-small shortcoming. To incorporate the previous automobile analogy, this is like buying an automaker's top of the line sports car only to find out it can only do 55mph before it runs out of horse power!

I realize it does so much other right, but lack of headroom is a major issue. Being able to recreate the live music event at live levels is the whole point...a point that, sadly, seems to be lost with this unit.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Thanks, Gene, for a most exhaustive review of this incredible behemoth.

But I must say, your discovery of the volume scaling issue comes as quite a surprise. At this price point, and due to it's flagship status level, I'm amazed that Denon didn't address this before releasing it.

I'm also amazed that most folks in the various forums where your review is being discussed, are glossing right past a not-so-small shortcoming. To incorporate the previous automobile analogy, this is like buying an automaker's top of the line sports car only to find out it can only do 55mph before it runs out of horse power!

I realize it does so much other right, but lack of headroom is a major issue. Being able to recreate the live music event at live levels is the whole point...a point that, sadly, seems to be lost with this unit.
Apparantly I am one of the few people it affects due to a number of factors including:

configuration - using 2 of the Denon amps to power 2 of my subs and have to add 2-3dB of gain as a result
room size- over 6,000ft^3 acoustically treated room
program material - most notable on low compression sources especially when using my Toshiba HD dvd player

Speaker sensitivity isn't that big of an issue since I am running speakers with about 93dB sensitivity.

The preamp certainly has enough output voltage (14Vrms via balanced, about half that unbalanced) provided you give it enough signal drive and don't engage Audyssey in PLIIx modes in my scenario at least.

Don't forget this isn't just a Denon issue. Most of the newer AVR's are running into the same thing from what I hear (Onkyo being one example).

In most cases I can work around this issue and I'm gonna try external amplification for my 2 front subs and bridging the 3 main speakers to see if I can gain back some headroom on the volume control.

I did make Denon aware of this and hope they can come up with some suggestions/fixes in the future.

As for the automobile analogy, I see it more like having a 300HP sports car but it having an annoying governor on it that limits it to 75mph :confused:

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Great review! If I had my next planned home/theater built, this beast would go in the rack. Gene, maybe you could also put a bug in Denon’s ear about a mid-level pre/pro, for those of us who don't need this beast or want to resort to a receiver, to compete with Integra/Onkyo pro’s gear and since Marantz’s new pre/pro seems to be coming up a little feature shy.

A

AVTguy

Audioholic Intern
Dual monitor usage with the HDMI out ports?

Has anyone (Gene or Seth, and maybe someone else who has this thing) tried using the 2 HDMI monitor out ports and successfully displayed two images?

I worked at it for a solid hour and a half tonight:mad: with absolutely no luck, and an eventual Blue Screen of Death:eek:. Any help would be wonderful. Please message me privately so as to not bog down the thread with this stuff (unless of course you find it imperative to do so).

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Has anyone (Gene or Seth, and maybe someone else who has this thing) tried using the 2 HDMI monitor out ports and successfully displayed two images?

I worked at it for a solid hour and a half tonight with absolutely no luck, and an eventual Blue Screen of Death. Any help would be wonderful. Please message me privately so as to not bog down the thread with this stuff (unless of course you find it imperative to do so).
I wasn't able to test this in my review but Denon told me simultaneous output would be supported and would output the same resolution to both monitors. Thus if you had a 720p and 1080p monitor, both would receive 720p.

I pinged Denon about your issue to see what they say.

G

gthomas

Audiophyte
Good review Gene. I have the AVP/POA combo and they sound excellent. I sold my Anthem D1 to buy the Denon. I don't regret my decision. I owned the Krell S1000 for a short time, but sent it back. No comparison to the Denon. I haven't had any problems with the head room that you did.

Gene thomas

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Good review Gene. I have the AVP/POA combo and they sound excellent. I sold my Anthem D1 to buy the Denon. I don't regret my decision. I owned the Krell S1000 for a short time, but sent it back. No comparison to the Denon. I haven't had any problems with the head room that you did.

Gene thomas
On behalf of everyone else on this forum, I HATE YOU!!!:D:D:D

Say, you didn't buy that $500 Denon-Link cable, did you?:D

G

gthomas

Audiophyte
Thanks for the love:D Nah, I passed on the Denon cable!!

Gene

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Friends;

I am hanging onto the Denon Separates to do followups on updates to the products. I have made the Pre/Pro thread a sticky on our forums to support and tech questions you may have. I will also email your questions to Denon tech if I or others on here cannot answer them.

Please use this thread for related AVP and POA questions.

Right now I am integrating these bad boys into my rack which is no small task.

In the meantime, I encourage fellow AVP owners to check for the firmware update via ethernet connection. I will post details shortly on what it does.

G

gthomas

Audiophyte
Gene, what did you mean by the Pro installer being available soon? It's already there you just need to have an installer get the liscense key to activate it. I have the installer kit and did the pro install myself and it is truly magnificent sounding.

Gene thomas

Seth V

Seth V

Audioholic
Friends;

I am hanging onto the Denon Separates to do followups on updates to the products. I have made the Pre/Pro thread a sticky on our forums to support and tech questions you may have. I will also email your questions to Denon tech if I or others on here cannot answer them.

Please use this thread for related AVP and POA questions.

Right now I am integrating these bad boys into my rack which is no small task.

In the meantime, I encourage fellow AVP owners to check for the firmware update via ethernet connection. I will post details shortly on what it does.
That is too cool that you're hanging on to the Denon separates for follow ups on updates to the products.

As an AVP owner I want to say thank you for making the Pre/Pro thread a sticky.:) This will be an invaluable resource for owners and soon to be owners.

I'm really looking forward to your findings on the firmware update and what it does.

Thanks again!

Seth

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis