Christmas brings all the speaker scammers to the yard!

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
No, their speakers are not better than yours. Beware of the following speaker companies when you are out Christmas shopping. Basically stay away from people selling speakers out of the back of a van.

* Audiofile
* Acoustic Lab Technology
* Acoustic Monitor
* Acoustic Response (not to be confused with the company Acoustic Research, which involved the famous and respected Henry Kloss, who went on to found KLH and Cambridge Soundworks), Acoustic Image, Acoustic Lab Technology
* Blue Ridge Sound Engineering
* Canyon Audio (not to confused with Canary, these are basically the same as Theater Research)
* Denmark (not to be confused with Denon)
* Dogg Digital, Digital Dogg Audio (reportedly very popular on eBay)
* DCS Digital Audio (Logo looks similar the the DTS logo)
* Dahlton
* Dynalab (not to be confused with Dynamat)
* Divinci
* Divinci Audio
* Elite Audio (another name Theater Research uses, kind of rare though)
* Epiphany (there are two different Epiphany brands, one is extremely high end, and the other is a scam. The high end one can be easily identified by its array of drivers, they are very large speakers)
* Fluance (not the worst offender)
* Grafdale
* Digital Pro Audio, Pro Audio, Digital Audio, Digital Audio Professional Speaker Systems, Digital Audio Skyline Digital Research
* Epiphany Audio
* Kirsch (not to be confused with Klipsch)
* Omni Audio
* Protecsound
* Pro Dynamics
* Paradyme (not to be confused with Paradigm)
* PCS
* PSD (jokingly referred to as Paid Scam Drivers). Not to be confused with PSB.
* Theater Research or TR (has many other names)
* Samaurai
* SDAT(Super Dumb Audio Theme)
* Streem

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Where did you get all these names:D Did you get bitten by them? Made them up? LOL :D

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Where did you get all these names:D Did you get bitten by them? Made them up? LOL :D
Pulled it from an old thread. I didn't want to bump that thread and force new readers to go through the old thread. This one should be easier to find when someone is searching for knock-off brands online. They will likely hit 2-3 pages full of anti-scam speaker links on Google anyway though.:cool:

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Pulled it from an old thread. I didn't want to bump that thread and force new readers to go through the old thread. This one should be easier to find when someone is searching for knock-off brands online. They will likely hit 2-3 pages full of anti-scam speaker links on Google anyway though.:cool:
Well, what is next to go after my memory:D
No, it was interesting to see all those names. Now to make that into a credit card size and carry it in the wallet:D We could have fun:D

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Some of my favorite white van "brands" not on that list include:

Tryad
NTH
Slyvania
Liquid Cool (LOL)

:eek:

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Very good thread for guys like me who are out there looking for speakers and trying to save a buck or two in the process. Many of us (or at least myself) don't know every single good brand there is, let alone the knock-offs and junk brands that seem to be flooding the market.

It gives us some well-needed "armor" to fend off these low-lifes. Thanks again! :cool:

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Very good thread for guys like me who are out there looking for speakers and trying to save a buck or two in the process. Many of us (or at least myself) don't know every single good brand there is, let alone the knock-offs and junk brands that seem to be flooding the market.

It gives us some well-needed "armor" to fend off these low-lifes. Thanks again! :cool:
The main thing to remember though; is if it looks shady, it is. Just don't buy speakers from a couple of guys in a van or SUV.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Well, in my opinion that's a no brainer - I've been doing a lot of ebay browsing lately though, which is where this information really comes in handy. Good advice though for anyone within earshot, to stay away from anyone selling stuff out of the back of a van/truck/wagon/shopping cart, etc.

A friend of mine bought a hammer drill from a guy out of the back of his van once; the thing burned up in his hand after two uses and caused second degree burns. The old adage prevails... "If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is." The $30 he spent on the drill ended up costing him a couple grand in medical bills.

Ebay however, so far has been proving to be a valuable tool - as long as one can recognize the fraudulent brands that are out there and make wise purchases on something they have already researched, and hopefully have had the chance to audition somewhere (when it comes to speakers).

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
A friend of mine bought a hammer drill from a guy out of the back of his van once; the thing burned up in his hand after two uses and caused second degree burns. The old adage prevails... "If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is." The $30 he spent on the drill ended up costing him a couple grand in medical bills.
The white van drill scammers get 20% of the medical bills paid. Sometimes the scammers are really dressed down doctors and medical interns.:D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I tell ya, I have GOT to get me a white van. I don't have any knock-off junk, but I figure that if people are so willing to buy from someone with a white van, then I could just sell my old stuff that way. Heck, I live three blocks from a grocery store with a huge parking lot. Prime pickings from what I've read.

Of course, with my luck, it wouldn't work. I'd try to sell my real NHT speakers and get beat up by some large dude who didn't believe me.

"Hey, those aren't NTH speakers...you're trying to rip me off!!!" *POW*

Silver lining: there's a medical center about a quarter mile down the road.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
I tell ya, I have GOT to get me a white van.
Tell you what - I've got a new top of the line digital FORD Econoline... shhhh, don't tell anyone, this is a market secret the big stores don't you to know about. I've got a few of them, and I can give you a good price!

Hmmm.. is it possible to sell a white van out of the back of a white van?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Tell you what - I've got a new top of the line digital FORD Econoline... shhhh, don't tell anyone, this is a market secret the big stores don't you to know about. I've got a few of them, and I can give you a good price!
That's hilarious! You've taken white van scams to the next level. Ingenious.

BTW, wouldn't that be a Fjord Econolyne or something? Although it's getting there, Ford isn't a knock-off company, yet. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis