More / Different Marantz SR 7001 Shut Downs

D

DBooger

Audioholic Intern
On June 1, I had a Marantz 7001 installed. It currently sits on industrial wire shelving, completely open to air circulation on all six sides. It powers an 8-ohm Energy 5.1 speaker system (sub is separately powered). Although we’re in the 90’s outside, I keep my house at a constant 78 degrees. I do not play music loudly, much less at insane levels. I use a Furman power conditioner, and I haven’t seen the current drop below 118 or 119.

Last week while dressing for work I was listening to XM radio and my receiver suddenly shut down. When I looked at the front panel, the “Standby” light was flashing. I “Searched” on the Audioholics forums, and read that I should disconnect everything (power, speakers, other components) for 30 minutes or so. Well, I had to go to work so I just unplugged the power (strictly speaking, I unplugged the Furman only).

When I got home that evening, I plugged it back in. At first I was distressed because the “Standby” light was still flashing. However, the AVR powered up when I pressed the power button.

This happened again Friday night. I unplugged the power and only had to wait about 45 minutes to restart the system. I watched DVDs for several hours last night / this morning, and have had XM on again for an hour or so. There haven't been any issues: not today / not yet.

I have two questions: 1) What’s going on? Surely it’s not overheating (?). 2) Should I just go ahead and deal with the hassle of trying to get this replaced by my Custom Installer / Manufacturer while there are no warranty issues?

I’m a responsible forum user. I read the “Furious and Poor” and “Marantz SR 7001 and Protect Mode” threads, which helped me set out some facts in this post. Thanks in advance.

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
I have an SR-8400 that just went in for service via FedEx to ServiceWide today. Mine goes into fault (what I call it) immediately upon turning it on. It rapidly clicks, maybe this is what the older one's do compared to your flashing standby light.

Mine also has been shutting itself off randomly, while under minimal load.

I am not sure if it's the same problem, but thought I'd attempt to share your pain:(

Good luck,

Pat

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'd probably have it replaced or repaired under warranty. It sounds like a bad component inside, possibly a relay that is overheating.

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
I'd probably have it replaced or repaired under warranty. It sounds like a bad component inside, possibly a relay that is overheating.
I personally hope they can't fix mine either, I'd love one of those new SR7001's:D I doubt they can find a new SR8400, and suspect the 7001 would be it's equivalent today. But of course, I'd hope to get one that doesn't do what DBooger's does.

Marantz sure does have beautiful sound. I love my new Yamaha, but think that Marantz is in a different class entirely.

Pat

D

DBooger

Audioholic Intern
My installer came out yesterday. I dropped in Pink Floyd "Pulse" (which is decent), and successfully shut down my system within about 10 minutes. We were running it at approx. -10dB.

He accessed various menus and did some other "black box" diagnostics. After about 30 minutes, he announced that he thought it was the center channel WIRING. You see, my house was pre-wired for 4.1 (??), there was no center channel pre-wired. My CI uses "super-duper, oxygen free" wiring. It WAS the same gauge, but he speculated the center channel was drawing more current, and that was triggering auto-protect. His solution: come back in a week or so and rewire the center channel w/ "rack grade" wire. This wire is in-wall and has to be fished; otherwise I'd do it myself.

He shut down the center channel, put the DVD back in, and ran it at -15 dB while he packed up. It was fine: I was optimistic. He told me to run my receiver hard all weekend. After 30 minutes or so, I shut everything down, and went to work.

I did not run my AVR last night. When I woke up this morning, the standby light was flashing. :( Remember, the AVR had been off for 20 or so hours. I unplugged it at the wall, plugged it in, powered it up, and am running it now.

More details as they develop.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
My installer came out yesterday. I dropped in Pink Floyd "Pulse" (which is decent), and successfully shut down my system within about 10 minutes. We were running it at approx. -10dB.

He accessed various menus and did some other "black box" diagnostics. After about 30 minutes, he announced that he thought it was the center channel WIRING. You see, my house was pre-wired for 4.1 (??), there was no center channel pre-wired. My CI uses "super-duper, oxygen free" wiring. It WAS the same gauge, but he speculated the center channel was drawing more current, and that was triggering auto-protect. His solution: come back in a week or so and rewire the center channel w/ "rack grade" wire. This wire is in-wall and has to be fished; otherwise I'd do it myself.

He shut down the center channel, put the DVD back in, and ran it at -15 dB while he packed up. It was fine: I was optimistic. He told me to run my receiver hard all weekend. After 30 minutes or so, I shut everything down, and went to work.

I did not run my AVR last night. When I woke up this morning, the standby light was flashing. :( Remember, the AVR had been off for 20 or so hours. I unplugged it at the wall, plugged it in, powered it up, and am running it now.

More details as they develop.
He thought it was the center channel wiring? He doesn't know?
Did he use a meter to see if that center wire has a short in it?
Is that center wire now in wall or how is it connected from the receiver to the speaker? You say it is the same gauge but same as what and what gauge is that?
Is that center speaker also 8 ohms?

Do you have an SPL meter to see how loud it is with -10?

What the hell is 'rack grade' wire?

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
What your installer told you is absolute garbage. He is trying to sell you rack grade wiring, whatever the hell that is. I think your receiver will do the same thing regardless of what you wire it with. It needs to be serviced.

I did get my 8400 back from servicewide with a replaced power supply board. It seems to have done the trick, although I've only had it hooked up for a day.

Pat

M

mdrew

Audioholic
Your 7001 is doing exactly what my 8001 was doing. I battled with Marantz tech support for weeks over this. I finally ended up setting the AVR on the kitchen table without speakers connected, turned it on and waited. I waited for ten minutes, then shut it off and waited again. I had to do this a few times, but it eventually shut down. The problem seams to be only when it is first started and for some reason, it acts as if it does not like cold starts. If it is running, it will run indefinitely without shutting down. But once you shut it off and restart later, it will shut down. And it will continue to get worse. After time, mine would not even restart after sitting for an hour. I also got an error message “check pow5”. Do you get that same message?? If you do, it is an internal fault.

I sent mine to Service Wide and they could not duplicate the failure. They changed some connections, sent it back and within ten minutes on my rack, it shut down.

I just recently got a replacement from my dealer after Service Wide told me they could not fix the problem and I needed to work with the dealer to get an RA from Marantz.

I would try running the unit without any speakers connected first. Cycle it on and off a few times and make sure it is not the same problem I had before your installer runs new wire. Marantz tech and I went round and round over this with several different techs. They all concluded it was my wiring, or my speakers before I was able to convince them it was not my speakers or wiring. You should also call Service Wide. The manager I spoke with told me that the 7001 and 8001 had some issues with their first batch of units.

D

DBooger

Audioholic Intern
I'm not ready to throw my installer under the bus, not yet anyway. I heard him order another 7001 to have available for me if he couldn't figure out my issue.

"Rack grade" seems to have been a poor choice of words. I meant that my CI was going to re-fish that center channel with very ordinary speaker wire that's the same gauge as the pre-wired 4.1 connections (or at least the 4.0 part).

As to the speakers themselves, all are Energy RC-6W's, which are 8 ohms. Based on the "Audissey" tones from the Marantz and the "Audio Set Up" from the Pink Floyd DVD, the center speaker seems to be just fine, the calibrating tones / noises from the center channel are indistinguishable to my ear from the other 4 channels. No, I don't have an SPL meter, but a Radio Shack is nearby and I can fix this quickly.

I ran it pretty much all day today, from -25 dB to -10 dB, and was not able to duplicate the shutdown (man, am I tired of that Pink Floyd DVD!). I'll try the "on / off" test protocall recommended by Mdrew.

Thanks for the responses.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I'm not ready to throw my installer under the bus, not yet anyway. I heard him order another 7001 to have available for me if he couldn't figure out my issue.

"Rack grade" seems to have been a poor choice of words. I meant that my CI was going to re-fish that center channel with very ordinary speaker wire that's the same gauge as the pre-wired 4.1 connections (or at least the 4.0 part).

As to the speakers themselves, all are Energy RC-6W's, which are 8 ohms. Based on the "Audissey" tones from the Marantz and the "Audio Set Up" from the Pink Floyd DVD, the center speaker seems to be just fine, the calibrating tones / noises from the center channel are indistinguishable to my ear from the other 4 channels. No, I don't have an SPL meter, but a Radio Shack is nearby and I can fix this quickly.

I ran it pretty much all day today, from -25 dB to -10 dB, and was not able to duplicate the shutdown (man, am I tired of that Pink Floyd DVD!). I'll try the "on / off" test protocall recommended by Mdrew.

Thanks for the responses.

Get the analog SPL meter for level matching your channels with the test tones. Much more accurate than doing it by ear.

Second: You may want to try using that installer's cable hooked up just ion the room without fishing it through and see if that makes a difference, shutting down or not.

3rd: try what the above poster did, let it get cold, then turn it on, disconnect the speakers and see what happens after a while, like some hours. Get it cold again then connect the speakers and test it at -10 or even -9. Wear some ear plugs.
Apparently there may be a design flaw in the units.

D

DBooger

Audioholic Intern
I don't think this news flash will surprise anyone: It ain't the center channel wire.

I wrote of the mysterious overnight shutdown, and then good results all day Saturday. Monday morning found me stumbling around the kitchen, coffee in hand, listening to XM "Smooth Jazz" (hey, at least I'm honest). Suddenly ... nothing. I look at the AVR: yep, it's flashing the Standby light. This has happened a couple more times, and it does seem to happen to a cold unit.

Letter to my CI professional, w/ cc: to Marantz to follow. Stay tuned.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I don't think this news flash will surprise anyone: It ain't the center channel wire.

I wrote of the mysterious overnight shutdown, and then good results all day Saturday. Monday morning found me stumbling around the kitchen, coffee in hand, listening to XM "Smooth Jazz" (hey, at least I'm honest). Suddenly ... nothing. I look at the AVR: yep, it's flashing the Standby light. This has happened a couple more times, and it does seem to happen to a cold unit.

Interesting. Thanks for the update. Keep us informed.

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic

Different unit, same problem. Ask them about checking the power supply board. My 8400 was replaced, and now seems good as gold.

Pat

D

DBooger

Audioholic Intern
HOORAY FOR MARANTZ!

My CI called Marantz, and they shipped out a BRAND NEW 7001. It was installed today, the old one was boxed up and is on its way back. Assuming this one works (am I premature?!?), they may have just cemented a customer for life.

PS - The Marantz rep kinda / sorta acknowledged the 7001 "auto protect" issue. Maybe that's why they were accomodating. But hey - why ask why?

Thanks again for all the help, Audioholics!!

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
Glad to hear it worked out!

My SR-8400 seems to be fixed as well. I have tried to get it to do what it used to do, and can't. I am sure glad Marantz has that great three year warranty, as mine is two years old!

Thanks for the update,

Pat

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Not being a jerk just wondering why someone would use a CI for installing an AVR?

Maybe I "installed" mine wrong. I sat it on the shelf, hooked up all cables/wires, plugged it in, cal'd it, listened to it. Seems like a simple hook up not an install.

D

DBooger

Audioholic Intern
Retrofit "in wall" speakers. Paint to match. Fish speaker wire for center channel. Mount external XM antenna, install through exterior wall to AVR through wall plate. Custom program universal remote control. Oh, and fix my Marantz.

Not trying to be a jerk, but the Emotiva is on its way. With "it", apostrophes are for contractions, not possessives.:D

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
You had me at "exterior wall"...

Retrofit "in wall" speakers. Paint to match. Fish speaker wire for center channel. Mount external XM antenna, install through exterior wall to AVR through wall plate. Custom program universal remote control. Oh, and fix my Marantz.

Not trying to be a jerk, but the Emotiva is on its way. With "it", apostrophes are for contractions, not possessives.:D

hemiram

hemiram

Full Audioholic
My friend had a huge old Marantz receiver that he bought while he was in the Air Force, just before he got out. I don't remember the model number, but it was either the top of the line, or the one under it.

Almost from day one, it had problems. It would hum on the back channels intermittantly. He took it to the local warranty place here, and they found "no problem". It hummed as soon as he turned it on when he got it home. Another try, and this time, they fixed it.

Then, it started doing some weird "feedback" thing where it would suddenly start rumbling at a low level, then it would get louder and louder, to the point it would shut down. It was kind of like the movie "Earthquake" with Sensurround, or whatever they called it. The rumble was coming out of both the sub and front/surround pre outs. The power amps were fine, my receiver had no problems running them.

The volume had no effect, and once it started it didn't stop. Went to the local place again, and they did something, and it didn't affect it at all. Went back a couple more times, no good. At this point, Marantz was contacted, and it was sent someplace to get looked at. It came back about a month later, scratched up (It looked brand new when he sent it!) and it still did it. Obviously, they did open it up, since the screws were marred up on several PC boards inside and on the screws outside too. He complained to Marantz, and they said to send it back.

So he did, and it came back with a new faceplate, but it still had the rumble.
He called them again, and some guy came out to look at it, he just shook his head and laughed, and said, "I've never heard anything like that before". He sent it back again, and after two months, it came back, and still rumbled. He called them one last time, and just told them he wanted a replacement, he had been more than patient, so he was shocked when they refused, saying "Well, the unit is 18 months old now, and well out of warranty, perhaps you can get the dealer to help you!"

He tried to reason with them, but they just told him to check with the dealer.
Well, the dealer WAS in Hawaii, and they had gone out of business anyway. He sent letters to Marantz, and got nothing but a form letter saying "Have a nice day!'

He came over that afternoon, and plopped it on my porch, and said, "It's yours! If you can fix it, great, if not, it's parts!" He replaced it with an Onkyo that was recently just retired and moved to his kid's bedroom, replaced with a new Onkyo. I messed with it for a long time, with no luck. I did manage to isolate it to one PC board. I tried to find a replacement, but it cost an amazing amount, so I passed. I even tried replacing almost every component I could on that board, and accomplished nothing. Of course, I couldn't replace the likely culprit, a couple of big IC's with about a hundred leads each.

I've been very leery of buying anything made by Marantz since this happened.

I got a whole lot of good parts out of it though!:D The heat sinks were sold to a friend of mine who used them on a 2-Meter ham linear amp. The amp boards were sold to another friend, who replaced the smoked power amp section of his home built integrated amp with them. Worked great. The rest of it, less chassis and faceplate is in my closet in boxes.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis