Advice on new home set-up

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
For mid century British, what about Harbeth? Style wise it seems like a plausible choice. I have no experience with the brand, but it seems to follow that type of theme you are aiming at?

J

jbo

Audioholic Intern
For mid century British, what about Harbeth? Style wise it seems like a plausible choice. I have no experience with the brand, but it seems to follow that type of theme you are aiming at?
those look amazing but way over my budget!

for now i just want to get the Dynaudio and try to figure out whether to get an AV receiver or a stereo amp - and of course which one!

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
those look amazing but way over my budget!

for now i just want to get the Dynaudio and try to figure out whether to get an AV receiver or a stereo amp - and of course which one!
Well, if you're thinking futuristically with a move to the U.S., isn't there a possible power compatibility issue with the amp, at least?

J

jbo

Audioholic Intern
Well, if you're thinking futuristically with a move to the U.S., isn't there a possible power compatibility issue with the amp, at least?
at this point i just want a decent set-up for now. if i need to sell it i can sell it, assuming its not broken by then. most the electronics i buy of late seem to die within 2 years anyways - no matter how much i spend

are there many in the forum purchasing £10k harbeth speakers out of curiosity for a beginners set-up?

Last edited:
agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Stereo receivers and integrated amps don't sell nearly in the numbers of AV receivers. Consequently, one ends up paying much more for much less. I don't see their allure except for niche situations like a purely analog setup.

Denon for movies and Marantz for music is 100% poppycock. In the £500 price bracket, they are nearly identical. The minor difference in amp power will be inconsequential. Pick whichever gives you the features you need or hits price point you desire.

For streaming functions, probably best to get a Chromecast or Amazon fire stick or Roku.

Since your equipment chain is short, lip sync should not be an issue. That said, or doesn't hurt to have the feature.

Last but not the least, your speakers will last for decades. The electronics, not so much. When moving too this side of the pond, you could keep the former and ditch the latter. Spend accordingly.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
most the electronics i buy of late seem to die within 2 years anyways - no matter how much i spend
That shouldn't be the case with the names suggested on this forum.

are there many in the forum purchasing £10k harbeth speakers out of curiosity for a beginners set-up?
I didn't notice the price. I forget that there is such ridiculous prices on gear and I certainly wouldn't pay that for any speaker, especially a bookshelf sized.

If I was looking to work with a budget, which is a concept I have difficulty with, I would buy used unless it was some special new features I could not live without. I am using an old Denon 3805 AVR which was one of their better ones back when it was born and likely sounds better than a current budget model. The first one was given to me when friends found out I was getting interested in audio again. It works so well, that when another came up for sale for $75, I bought it. It ends up having features that some of the newer ones don't, such as, still being able to use the subwoofer out in Pure Direct mode, which happens to fit my music listening style better.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
at this point i just want a decent set-up for now. if i need to sell it i can sell it, assuming its not broken by then. most the electronics i buy of late seem to die within 2 years anyways - no matter how much i spend

Sorry to hear that. May be cursed.;)
Even my Onkyo receivers are going strong beyond 2 years. One being over 17.

Oh, wait you mean I have to turn it on for a good many times? ;):D

J

jbo

Audioholic Intern
Stereo receivers and integrated amps don't sell nearly in the numbers of AV receivers. Consequently, one ends up paying much more for much less. I don't see their allure except for niche situations like a purely analog setup.

Denon for movies and Marantz for music is 100% poppycock. In the £500 price bracket, they are nearly identical. The minor difference in amp power will be inconsequential. Pick whichever gives you the features you need or hits price point you desire.

For streaming functions, probably best to get a Chromecast or Amazon fire stick or Roku.

Since your equipment chain is short, lip sync should not be an issue. That said, or doesn't hurt to have the feature.

Last but not the least, your speakers will last for decades. The electronics, not so much. When moving too this side of the pond, you could keep the former and ditch the latter. Spend accordingly.
thank you agarwalro - i'm thinking to just get an AV reciever, as i do watch a lot of movies (i use an amazon fire tv, would that be OK or is the fire stick easier to use with this type system?).

my final decision is whether to pay more for an AV reciever with a pre-out (e.g. Denon AVR-X3300W or Yamaha RX-A860) so could hook up a stereo amp longer term (but a lot in forums seem people dont generally seem to find this practical day to day). also some debate as to whether pre-out can handle stereo amp properly

leaning towards an AV receiver (with no pre-out as i can unhook speakers to stereo amp if i really wanted to longer term). Some options (with Dynaudio Emit m20):
- Denon AVR-X2400H
- Denon AVR-X3300W
- Sony STR-DN1080
- Denon AVR-X2300W
- Sony STR-DN1080

since i have a Sony Bravia (although its 9 years old) - tempted to try the Sony STR-DN1080, although i have amazon alexa at home so Denon alexa integration interesting too. am i going to notice much difference from the higher priced above (e.g. Denon AVR-X3300W) versus lower priced (e.g. Denon AVR-X2300W) - difference is a couple hundred £'s

great advice on the speakers vs. electronics - thank you!

EDIT: just noticed both of the below have tidal (heos with denon) built in which makes life easier 0 but no phono input for a turntable
Sony STR-DN1080
Denon AVR-X2400H

Last edited:
J

jbo

Audioholic Intern
That shouldn't be the case with the names suggested on this forum.

I didn't notice the price. I forget that there is such ridiculous prices on gear and I certainly wouldn't pay that for any speaker, especially a bookshelf sized.

If I was looking to work with a budget, which is a concept I have difficulty with, I would buy used unless it was some special new features I could not live without. I am using an old Denon 3805 AVR which was one of their better ones back when it was born and likely sounds better than a current budget model. The first one was given to me when friends found out I was getting interested in audio again. It works so well, that when another came up for sale for $75, I bought it. It ends up having features that some of the newer ones don't, such as, still being able to use the subwoofer out in Pure Direct mode, which happens to fit my music listening style better.
i have no problem buying used and do so for most home purchases. with electronics i get a little more intimidated but for $75 you really cant go wrong. yes i wont be spending that on speakers any time soon, but they are the look i was hoping to achieve.j

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
i have no problem buying used and do so for most home purchases. with electronics i get a little more intimidated but for $75 you really cant go wrong. yes i wont be spending that on speakers any time soon, but they are the look i was hoping to achieve.j
I like that look as well. So much so, I ended up building a pair of kit speakers that are designed in essence of the BBC monitors that Harbeth also follows with their P3ESR Monitor.
upload_2017-9-24_5-2-29.png

This kit was around $350ish. Excuse the pre-finish appearance as they have been veneered since, but I would not sell these speakers below an otherwise life changing amount of $.

J

jbo

Audioholic Intern
MrBoat - those look simply beautiful - imagine even more so once veneered. wish i had such skills

J

jbo

Audioholic Intern
Only you can decide which speakers will sound better to your ears. Go out and listen to as many as you can, there should be lots of opportunities in London.

If the Marantz 1607 has all the features you require, no sense in getting the 1608.

As for subs, in the UK, for your aesthetic criteria, I would be looking at the SVS SB-2000.

Your new seating arrangement should make for a much better sounding system then previous, at least for that one seat.
thank you for the suggestion on the sub, Shady. just checked out the SVS SB-2000 (online only) - sounds amazing and i'm going more the home cinema route so this could be a great addition!

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
thank you agarwalro - i'm thinking to just get an AV reciever, as i do watch a lot of movies (i use an amazon fire tv, would that be OK or is the fire stick easier to use with this type system?).

my final decision is whether to pay more for an AV reciever with a pre-out (e.g. Denon AVR-X3300W or Yamaha RX-A860) so could hook up a stereo amp longer term (but a lot in forums seem people dont generally seem to find this practical day to day). also some debate as to whether pre-out can handle stereo amp properly

leaning towards an AV receiver (with no pre-out as i can unhook speakers to stereo amp if i really wanted to longer term). Some options (with Dynaudio Emit m20):
- Denon AVR-X2400H
- Denon AVR-X3300W
- Sony STR-DN1080
- Denon AVR-X2300W
- Sony STR-DN1080

since i have a Sony Bravia (although its 9 years old) - tempted to try the Sony STR-DN1080, although i have amazon alexa at home so Denon alexa integration interesting too. am i going to notice much difference from the higher priced above (e.g. Denon AVR-X3300W) versus lower priced (e.g. Denon AVR-X2300W) - difference is a couple hundred £'s

great advice on the speakers vs. electronics - thank you!

EDIT: just noticed both of the below have tidal (heos with denon) built in which makes life easier 0 but no phono input for a turntable
Sony STR-DN1080
Denon AVR-X2400H
I think you'll be just fine with an AV receiver. The Amazon Fire TV is great and if it meets your needs, there's no need to change it.

If you're planning to stay 2.0 or 2.1 in the foreseeable future, I don't see the value in spending extra for pre-outs. I don't follow when you say 'debate about pre-outs handling stereo amp properly'. I can't imagine why not. What's the debate?

There's no need to brand match electronics. In the US, Sony receivers are not popular among the AV geeks. I've never heard one and can't comment on them.

I'd pick the the 3300 over the 2300. It has the much better Audyssey XT32, pre-outs, better HDMI spec and WiFi. A reasonable step up for a couple hundred. It doesn't have a phono input (for that you'll need to get the 4200W). Make sure you get a turn table with a built in pre-amp. Don't let this give you the impression that the 2300 is inadequate. I'm just listing what you get for the up change.

See if you can price a 4300H. They are at blow out prices here (almost matching 3300W at times!). That would be a no brainier situation.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
thank you for the suggestion on the sub, Shady. just checked out the SVS SB-2000 (online only) - sounds amazing and i'm going more the home cinema route so this could be a great addition!
Don't overlook their bargains in the "Subwoofer Outlet" if you don't mind a little ding or scratch. I have one of those SB2000's and may add another. I like the compact size at a hair over 14" wide & high. It's a little deeper than that with the black perforated steel grill, but I love having that as defense against my wife's urban assault vacuum cleaner...and cats.

J

jbo

Audioholic Intern
I think you'll be just fine with an AV receiver. The Amazon Fire TV is great and if it meets your needs, there's no need to change it.

If you're planning to stay 2.0 or 2.1 in the foreseeable future, I don't see the value in spending extra for pre-outs. I don't follow when you say 'debate about pre-outs handling stereo amp properly'. I can't imagine why not. What's the debate?

There's no need to brand match electronics. In the US, Sony receivers are not popular among the AV geeks. I've never heard one and can't comment on them.

I'd pick the the 3300 over the 2300. It has the much better Audyssey XT32, pre-outs, better HDMI spec and WiFi. A reasonable step up for a couple hundred. It doesn't have a phono input (for that you'll need to get the 4200W). Make sure you get a turn table with a built in pre-amp. Don't let this give you the impression that the 2300 is inadequate. I'm just listing what you get for the up change.

See if you can price a 4300H. They are at blow out prices here (almost matching 3300W at times!). That would be a no brainier situation.
thank you for taking the time to write - this is so helpful. i'm going to have a look and see if i can find a used 3300 or indeed a 4300h. sounds like perfect option. if i do move to the US- i believe i woudl have to sell as apparently could run into issues with the AV receiver overseas.

In terms of the speakers, i was leaning towards the Dynaudio M20. however - been reading a little bit about the Revel Concerta2 M16 (on audioholics and elsewhere) and seems like something i could really keep and grow into - would that be a significant jump up in quality versus the M20? i also noticed the speaker is a lot cheaper in the US (actually hard to find stocklists in the UK and the cost is significantly more).

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
I have two AVR's, and I always use them in stereo. Both are bottom of the line, one Yamaha and one Pioneer. They both sound quite good for playing music, and they both get as loud as I want. Peace and goodwill.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
if i do move to the US- i believe i woudl have to sell as apparently could run into issues with the AV receiver overseas.
If your device is not compatible, you'll need a 110-220V power transformer. Its okay for laptop charger or BD/DVD player type load. Not recommended for AV receiver or power amp type loads (unless you want a 15cm cube sitting next to the receiver). I don't like them.

Don't forget to bring your BD/DVD player for the UK region coded discs or remember you'll need to buy a region free one to play US and UK discs.

In terms of the speakers, i was leaning towards the Dynaudio M20. however - been reading a little bit about the Revel Concerta2 M16 (on audioholics and elsewhere) and seems like something i could really keep and grow into - would that be a significant jump up in quality versus the M20?.
What's your overall budget again? Don't fall into the FOMO trap. You'll end up blowing 10x the budget and yet not shake that feeling.

J

jbo

Audioholic Intern
If your device is not compatible, you'll need a 110-220V power transformer. Its okay for laptop charger or BD/DVD player type load. Not recommended for AV receiver or power amp type loads (unless you want a 15cm cube sitting next to the receiver). I don't like them.

Don't forget to bring your BD/DVD player for the UK region coded discs or remember you'll need to buy a region free one to play US and UK discs.

What's your overall budget again? Don't fall into the FOMO trap. You'll end up blowing 10x the budget and yet not shake that feeling.
Hmm- i would just sell the AV for a US move, seems too much hassle to have the transformer anyway! how would i transfer over speakers - is that a lot easier to do? thanks for the tips in this area as i had no idea

budget wise - for the AV reciever i would say around £500 - £800 max (i dont mind buying used). for the speakers - i dont mind spending more as i feel they have potential to last longer (hopefully 5-10 years +), and i'll use the speakers every day (2-3 hours a day for music and movies) - so will get a ton of use. also - if i do move to a 5.1 setup which i hopefully will, i would move the bookshelfs and put them behind the sofa. all that is to say i view the speakers more of a longer term item to keep and use everyday.

it does seem like some of the european speakers (e.g. Dynaudio) arent so expensive relative to the US, while the US makers (e.g. Revel) are SO much more here in the UK. i see some forusm comparing the emit 20 vs the revel m16 - but here the latter is a good 40% more. i guess i liked what i have read about the revels, kind of feels like that level of speaker is good quality, and if you want to get significanly better than the m16 seems you have to spend 2-3+ times the amount. but thats just het opinion of a few i suppose

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Were do you shop used gear there? Any online store? I'll take a look for anything worth checking out in the £500 AV receiver and £1000 speaker range.

J

jbo

Audioholic Intern
Were do you shop used gear there? Any online store? I'll take a look for anything worth checking out in the £500 AV receiver and £1000 speaker range.
i usually try to buy from a reputable seller (if possible) - e.g. on eBay. i have purchased thigns on gumtree - but there is usually no history of the seller on gumtree. my comfort level for buying a used AV receiver and used speakers will be limited - so seller reputation could be crucial! but i fyou have expertise and can help find a good deal open to options - thank you!.

also - done anyone know how the Denon 3300 or 4300 AV recievers work with Amazon Alexa, and with the Amazon Fire TV? the new Denons seem to have Alexa - so just wondering how that works with the Fire TV - seems amazon moving heavily into devices (they just launched a new FIre TV)

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis