AVR choices, diy, general loudspeakers.

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
I know, wide ranging title, I'm just looking for multiple ideas. When necessary I will split to specific threads.

I have been playing around with upgrade options and new project plans. I have been planning for a new diy speaker project but have also considered an equipment upgrade.

Option #1. AVR upgrade, I was looking at the emotiva xmc 1and the new denon 3400. I might be salemanned but I do like the idea of the xmc but don't know if it worth it.

Option #2. The speaker project isn't nearly as controversial. I will pick a new project, I just don't know which one. After listening to my er18s I simply intended to build a 7.1 set. Right now I am simply asking people that have heard/built a selection, their opinions. I am looking at either going with another set of er18s or trying out a set of statement 2s.

Option #3. I have been thinking of getting a set of pa speakers. They will be used for outdoor situations, I believe, including school events, large get together, and outdoor parties. The idea is to be able to control them with a simple 1/8" stereo jack(cell phone) or perhaps wireless. I imagine that diy might not be the most cost effective for the endeavour given the lack of finesse required in sound quality. If sq isn't that important then it is usualLy easy enough to find. Still, looking for suggestions. All help greatly appreciated. Keep in mind, I'm from Canada and they think I'm slow eh?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
1/ What would you be upgrading from and what do you expect to gain from the change?

2/ What are er18s? :)

3/ No ideas for ya.

Good luck!

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
You're not slow, you're just suffering upgraditis.

If those are 'choices', one does not seem to have anything to do with the other. Looks like 3 separate 'wants' that sadly cannot be combined to save time or money.

A little introspection will do you some good, I think. Sounds like they should be organized by priority.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Build new speakers. Listen and decide if you need to upgrade.

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
The new speakers are for a different room, not upgrading.

The new AVR is a long shot at best. I am thinking about trying out some of the new audio options.

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
Build new speakers. Listen and decide if you need to upgrade.
In all fairness I am just going to build new speakers and then a home for them. The thought that ran through my head was putting them in the master bedroom if I ever get it finished

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
You're not slow, you're just suffering upgraditis.

If those are 'choices', one does not seem to have anything to do with the other. Looks like 3 separate 'wants' that sadly cannot be combined to save time or money.

A little introspection will do you some good, I think. Sounds like they should be organized by priority.
There is nothing priority in this list, this is my hobby The closest thing to priority would be the cheap DJ style speakers but I want them the least.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
There is nothing priority in this list, this is my hobby
Well cheers to that, buddy!

Working on a 3-way center channel crossover design as my first foray into speaker building. Hoping to put it, and my floor standers through CTA 2034 in November. Goal is to embrace the ribbon tweeters effortless sound, but be better optimized for center duties with a beryllium dome.

Hobby's quickly become passions. Might even become profession, one day!

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Since you already have ER18s, why the statements?

When I set out to DIY speakers, I was to cover multiple bases and budgets. From large and powerful, to small and surprising and trying to stay away from designs that dominate the mainstream, if possible.

It's been the little buggers that have ended up being the most intriguing and adaptable. Currently looking at some coaxial and full range driver builds to cover other territories that I can't just up and buy easily at some box store or just another take on something that is mass produced.

I had seriously considered the Statements, but I'm not lacking sound quality with the kits I have chosen that use less expensive drivers and without having to rely on much by way of cabinet trickery. If my living spaces were difficult, perhaps, but with modest sized, rectangular rooms, standard ceiling heights and an abundance of cozy furniture, less ends up being more. In other words, it would irk me if I built a pair of complex cabinets and ended up EQ'ng out the benefits to something with the sonic signature and capabilities of a smallish bass reflex or sealed speaker.

Some observations with my rooms: I have tried two different pairs of small, full range driver speakers with a subwoofer. One that uses an array of 4, 1" full range drivers in a tiny ported enclosure. Another that uses a single 2" driver in a small sealed box. While these are not optimum with regard to SPL, they have shown that my rooms are very compatible with these types of speakers. Incredible, perhaps profound, midrange translation in this space. This is also what is piquing my interest with coaxials. Between the constant directivity designs I have tried in here, along with the FRs, a coaxial with a 90 degree dispersion pattern might end up being very good indeed.

I'd like to think my perception of high performance audio qualifies a need for exotic drivers and cabinet magic, but it would also tickle me to have a single driver in a simple enclosure end up kicking mine, and everyone's ass that walks in here. Based on the truly custom option that DIY can provide, that sometimes resides outside of what's ultimately popular.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Since you already have ER18s, why the statements?

When I set out to DIY speakers, I was to cover multiple bases and budgets. From large and powerful, to small and surprising and trying to stay away from designs that dominate the mainstream, if possible.

It's been the little buggers that have ended up being the most intriguing and adaptable. Currently looking at some coaxial and full range driver builds to cover other territories that I can't just up and buy easily at some box store or just another take on something that is mass produced.

I had seriously considered the Statements, but I'm not lacking sound quality with the kits I have chosen that use less expensive drivers and without having to rely on much by way of cabinet trickery. If my living spaces were difficult, perhaps, but with modest sized, rectangular rooms, standard ceiling heights and an abundance of cozy furniture, less ends up being more. In other words, it would irk me if I built a pair of complex cabinets and ended up EQ'ng out the benefits to something with the sonic signature and capabilities of a smallish bass reflex or sealed speaker.

Some observations with my rooms: I have tried two different pairs of small, full range driver speakers with a subwoofer. One that uses an array of 4, 1" full range drivers in a tiny ported enclosure. Another that uses a single 2" driver in a small sealed box. While these are not optimum with regard to SPL, they have shown that my rooms are very compatible with these types of speakers. Incredible, perhaps profound, midrange translation in this space. This is also what is piquing my interest with coaxials. Between the constant directivity designs I have tried in here, along with the FRs, a coaxial with a 90 degree dispersion pattern might end up being very good indeed.

I'd like to think my perception of high performance audio qualifies a need for exotic drivers and cabinet magic, but it would also tickle me to have a single driver in a simple enclosure end up kicking mine, and everyone's ass that walks in here. Based on the truly custom option that DIY can provide, that sometimes resides outside of what's ultimately popular.
MrBoat
I will wager that if you build it, it will sound great. Because if you get around to building it, that pretty much means you've done your homework already before you get out the tablesaw and start slashing wood.

There are people that can't tell a joke to save their lives. You know who they are. Everybody knows who they are. They are the guys explaining every joke they try to tell. I suppose there are also guys that can't build a good sounding speaker. You know you they are. They're the guys who get on forums and tell you all about the junk they either want to build, or just built.

MrBoat: if you build it, it'll sound great. You have the knack

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
MrBoat
I will wager that if you build it, it will sound great. Because if you get around to building it, that pretty much means you've done your homework already before you get out the tablesaw and start slashing wood.

There are people that can't tell a joke to save their lives. You know who they are. Everybody knows who they are. They are the guys explaining every joke they try to tell. I suppose there are also guys that can't build a good sounding speaker. You know you they are. They're the guys who get on forums and tell you all about the junk they either want to build, or just built.

MrBoat: if you build it, it'll sound great. You have the knack
My home is just audio friendly for music. So much so, I took it for granted thinking audio is uncomplicated beyond a quest for low distortion drivers. Well heck, modern manufacturing and computer aided everything almost makes that a no brainer by Y2k. Now it's choose a flavor. Everything works here. I suspect it would work in a lot of other folks spaces that have carpet on the floors and insulation in the walls in more normal, avg sized rooms at least.

The room tells what it wants more often than not, I think. With HT, all bets are off.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis