JBL Studio 550p 10" sealed 50 pound sub for $189 ($599 msrp)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I just wanna say you guys should be ashamed of yourself for enabling me...:rolleyes:

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Welp, I guess I'll find out why it's 50lbs...I decided to grab one for the office. I think that 15" sub I'm trying to do something with would be a bit too large. I can't even get a 500w amp for what I just paid for this thing.
Ok -- enjoy it

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Oh, the agony, the shame, the self-loathing! Make it stop!:p
Honestly if this thing turns out to suck I can use the amp and/or driver on another project if I get board.

I just hope sand doesn't fall out of it when I take it apart. That 50lb weight thing is interesting.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Honestly if this thing turns out to suck I can use the amp and/or driver on another project if I get board.

I just hope sand doesn't fall out of it when I take it apart. That 50lb weight thing is interesting.
If you do take it apart am curious just which driver is in there...

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan

Must have some bracing in it -- plus thick cabinet wood with a heavy driver. My former MB Quart Vera 05 2-way speakers with a 6-1/2 in woofer weighed around 26 lbs ea

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
If you do take it apart am curious just which driver is in there...
I will. I want to use my new DATS toy to get the driver parameters and model it in WinISD to see how good/bad JBL did on box/amp size.

Plus I'm just curious. It's replacing a KLH (yup) 8" 100w sub I paid $80 at BB about 16 years ago and it'll be nice to not hear the driver bottom out on anything lower than 30hz.

C

chrismtb

Enthusiast
I decided to go for it because the price is too good to pass up. In the worst case, it's still probably better than my Infinity 10", so I can swap that out with something bigger for my second sub and keep this.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm so tempted to get this for a future nearfield setup with a desk, but I dont need one... The struggle is real

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I'm so tempted to get this for a future nearfield setup with a desk, but I dont need one... The struggle is real
I don't need it either. Didn't stop me though. Now I can have 2 subs in my office/den. o_O

Nilrem

Nilrem

Enthusiast
Did anyone get their sub yet? How's it sound? Anyone running 2 for music/2.2? Been moving to sealed for music, and smaller rooms. I usually run 2.1, but was considering trying out a 2.2. Can basically get 2 of these for one 12" sub from SVS, Emotiva, RSL, HSU, etc.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Mine will get here tomorrow. I'll post once I take it apart and see it's guts. Then I'll listen to it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis