12v trigger and sequence when on and off

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Hi everyone. If you use trigger how do you get the seqence right? I mean the order when switching off should be inversed. Thinking of buying ir controlled outlet and 12v power supply and then with universal remote control configure the right sequence for both cases.

Just wondering if there are better ways of doing this.

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Just in case my main concern is power amp which is currently off with the help of avr trigger.

Hi everyone. If you use trigger how do you get the seqence right? I mean the order when switching off should be inversed. Thinking of buying ir controlled outlet and 12v power supply and then with universal remote control configure the right sequence for both cases.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall

I have the AV7702mkii prepro with a buncha stuff connected (3 mono blocks, a 5 ch surround amp and another amp for whole house music, a universal player, etc.) and I recently set up a 12v trigger.

I know there are some sequence preference on turning equipment on, but turning off I wasn't aware....the 1st one in the chain for me is the L ch mono, R ch mono, then C ch mono. I remotely turn on the Oppo and that triggers the 5 ch to come on....there probably is a delay, but it happens so quickly it appears all the mono amps come on and off at the same time with the trigger.

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Normaly people suggest the following order for switching on - source-avr/pre-poweramp and revetsed order for switching off. I have configured the order for my oppo and avr using my remote control but for power amp i use trigger from avr. Which means that avr is always when going on and off.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
The Power on sequence is to turn on the amp last so that any clicks, pops, or thumps will not damage the amp or speakers.

I too am not aware of a need to sequence powering off the equipment.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
If the AVR causes a pop to come through the speakers and the trigger has been assigned to Zone On, you could assign the 'Trigger Off' function to an unused input but I would assign it to all of the inputs you use- it won't turn off when you switch from one input to another. If it has been assigned in order to switch the power for an amp that's used for Zone 2, I would do the same- assign Trigger Off to an unused input. Then, add a 1 second delay before shutting down the rest of the system.

If the amp doesn't thump when you shut the AVR off, I wouldn't worry about delays or sequencing, but by using the word 'sequence', I assume you're using a Harmony remote. If so, which one?

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
I dont use zone 2. I am concernet that while switching off avr goes first then amp. It can create pops in the speakers. My avr is yamaha 1070 btw.

2channel lover

Normaly people suggest the following order for switching on - source-avr/pre-poweramp and revetsed order for switching off. I have configured the order for my oppo and avr using my remote control but for power amp i use trigger from avr. Which means that avr is always when going on and off.
The on part I get...you always want the amps to come on last or after the AVR and source to protect the speakers from potential damage if you get a surge, or pop when the amps come on....Off, not so much.

Same with me...remote for the Pre pro and source, trigger for the amps.

You lost me on "that AVR is always..."

Explain the again for me please.

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Ok i dont have problem with switching things on. In remite control settings i set order oppo, avr. No settings for piwer amp as it is not ir controlled amp is triggered by avr. For off case i set avr then source.so this wai it workks avr then amp then oppo. In fact oppo might go before amp. But i want to guarrante the order amp, avr, oppo.

2channel lover

Ok i dont have problem with switching things on. In remite control settings i set order oppo, avr. No settings for piwer amp as it is not ir controlled amp is triggered by avr. For off case i set avr then source.so this wai it workks avr then amp then oppo. In fact oppo might go before amp. But i want to guarrante the order amp, avr, oppo.
Got it. Generally speaking turning on hifi equipment, particularly amps can cause some problem with the popping etc. that we've gone over.

If you don't have a problem switching on, then I don't know if you really have a problem. Guaranteeing the order off sounds more like a personal preference. I'm not well versed enough to know about sequencing off...but there are people with far more knowledge than I have so we'll have to see what other responses you get.

Good luck with it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis