Wharfedale Speakers Now @ Crutchfield!

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Just noticed that Crutchfield is now selling Wharfedale speakers. Very happy to see this. I admit that I am a bit surprised to say the least. Thought that I would share. :):):) Here is a link for those that may be interested:

https://www.crutchfield.com/g_37900/Bookshelf-Speakers.html#&nvpair=FFBrand|Wharfedale

Cheers,

Phil
Yeah I just saw this yesterday and thought wow that's pretty high end for them right. They are supposed to be pretty incredible speakers. They look awesome too. Something to think about.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah I just saw this yesterday and thought wow that's pretty high end for them right. They are supposed to be pretty incredible speakers. They look awesome too. Something to think about.

Yes, they are very nice speakers. Love my 220's and/or my Dentons. Just noticed that Crutchfield is not selling the Wharfedale subs though. Guess there is too much competition in the under $500 price range for them to sell the Wharfedale subs. Or, perhaps they will be offered soon. No biggie to me either way b/c a powered sub)s) is NOT in my plans. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Yes, they are very nice speakers. Love my 220's and/or my Dentons. Just noticed that Crutchfield is not selling the Wharfedale subs though. Guess there is too much competition in the under $500 price range for them to sell the Wharfedale subs. Or, perhaps they will be offered soon. No biggie to me either way b/c a powered sub)s) is NOT in my plans. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil
I was checking out the Reva 2 and the Reva 4. Wow they look incredible. They get great reviews as well. I bet they sound incredible.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I was checking out the Reva 2 and the Reva 4. Wow they look incredible. They get great reviews as well. I bet they sound incredible.

Yeah, I am also very curious about the Revas as well. Bit more than I want to spend though. I agree that they do sound really good. Plan to keep an eye on them.......LOL!!! I already have (3) sets of bookshelfs. Last thing I need is another set. :eek::p:eek:

Cheers,

Phil

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah, I am also very curious about the Revas. Bit more than I want to spend though. I agree I bet they do sound really good. Plan to keep an eye on them.......LOL!!! I already have (3) sets of bookshelfs. Last thing I need is another set. :eek::p:eek:

Cheers,

Phil
I hear ya. My entire 5 channel system is bookshelf speakers. SM 65 LCR, SM 55 surrounds. I feel great bookshelf speakers are the best value and most versatile.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I hear ya. My entire 5 channel system is bookshelf speakers. SM 65 LCR, SM 55 surrounds. I feel great bookshelf speakers are the best value and most versatile.

I have always preferred bookshelfs to towers. Sounds like you have a nice setup your self. I am just not into HT anymore. Really never have been all that much. My preference is on music. Primarily 2CH at that. No plans to even use a sub. That is why I am keeping my 220's and selling my Dentons. That is, the 220's have better low end and a sub is really not needed inmho. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I have always preferred bookshelfs to towers. Sounds like you have a nice setup your self. I am just not into HT anymore. Really never have been all that much. My preference is on music. Primarily 2CH at that. No plans to even use a sub. That is why I am keeping my 220's and selling my Dentons. That is, the 220's have better low end and a sub is really not needed inmho. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil
it's no slouch I'd say. Sounds very good to great I think. Very large sounding bookshelf speakers. Very big sound stage, accurate sound. I'm a 5 channel guy myself but everyone has there preference.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
it's no slouch I'd say. Sounds very good to great I think. Very large sounding bookshelf speakers. Very big sound stage, accurate sound. I'm a 5 channel guy myself but everyone has there preference.

I heard some Def Tech towers a few years ago and really liked them. That is saying a lot coming from a guy that much prefers bookshelfs. But, they sounded very good inmho. Have no doubt your setup sounds great as well. If I had a larger place and not in an apartment, then I would be much more interested in HT. Would keep it at 5.1/5.2 with maybe some Front Heights added. Music is just more important to me and I prefer it in stereo. Have heard some multi-channel music setups that sounded fantastic though. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I really enjoyed the Jade speakers. I would hope the Reva are near as good as the Jades, that would make them a pretty good speaker.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I really enjoyed the Jade speakers. I would hope the Reva are near as good as the Jades, that would make them a pretty good speaker.
Never heard the Jades or the Revas. Have read that the Jades were a bit on the bright side of scale. BTW, the all new Diamond 11 Series look a lot like the Revas to me. I hope to get a set of the 11.1's when funds allow:

http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/product.php?pid=107

There is a dealer here in the Northeastern part of my state. However, they have yet to receive any of the Diamond 11 Series. In fact, still waiting on a pricing quote. Funds are tight right now anyways. As such, there really is no rush on my end.

Cheers,

Phil

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'd like to give the Reva's a listen. I've never heard a Wharfedale. They're English and a little warm sounding?

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I'd like to give the Reva's a listen. I've never heard a Wharfedale. They're English and a little warm sounding?
I also would love to give the Revas a listen. Never heard them or the Jades. The Diamond 200 Series and/or the Dentons certainly are warm sounding. However, the 220's have more extension but gives up some warmth in the mids/highs in order to do so. Some describe the 220's as being between warm and neutral whereas the Dentons are certainly warmer. When mated to a capable sub, the Dentons are certainly several steps above the 220's in terms of performance. Have read that the Jades were a bit on the bright side of scale. Not sure about the Revas. Although the cabinets do look beautiful inmho. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja

Cheers,

Phil
I know you are adamant about doing without subs but what size is your listening area? What is your biggest turn off to subwoofers? If you are getting away with bookshelf speakers full range, it is likely that your subwoofers for music would not to have to be 12" and up behemoths. Even if they're only the next size or two up from your bookshelf's woofs.

Of course I tend to agree, that with stage forward, 2 channel listening, subs are not really necessary for music if the speakers are capable. But, it does open up a lot more possibilities with midrange quality choices. For example, the Continuums I have do not have much down low but what they possess in the midrange on up, makes it worth employing a subwoofer. I could get by with dual 10's, or even 8's in this room with those speakers.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I know you are adamant about doing without subs but what size is your listening area? What is your biggest turn off to subwoofers? If you are getting away with bookshelf speakers full range, it is likely that your subwoofers for music would not to have to be 12" and up behemoths. Even if they're only the next size or two up from your bookshelf's woofs.

Of course I tend to agree, that with stage forward, 2 channel listening, subs are not really necessary for music if the speakers are capable. But, it does open up a lot more possibilities with midrange quality choices. For example, the Continuums I have do not have much down low but what they possess in the midrange on up, makes it worth employing a subwoofer. I could get by with dual 10's, or even 8's in this room with those speakers.
His landlord lives directly below him.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord

The way that you describe your Continuums is exactly the way that I describe my Dentons. Yes, they are on another level as long as a powered sub is used. My room is 1,440 ft.^3 which is not very big. I have already had dual 15" PSA subs and (4) SVS SB12-NSD's. Although, not all at the same time.

Still have the M-Audio sub that has already gotten me into trouble. Only played it one time and the apartment manger came upstairs and demanded that I turn it down. She has a lot to do with why I plan to move soon. We just do not like each other at all.

I am very happy w/my 220's and no sub is needed. If I keep the Dentons, then a sub would be necessary. That is why the Dentons are going and the 220's are staying. My plan is to get a set of the new Diamond 11.1's and the Outlaw 2160 Stereo Receiver as soon as funds allow. Until then, the 220's are meeting my needs fully. Even after getting the 11.1's, I still plan to keep the 220's. However, if the 11.1's are bass shy like the Dentons, then they are going back. There is ONLY one way for me to find out.

Keep in mind, it is going to be a very long time before I can even opt for the 11.1's and/or the 2160 receiver. May have to have surgery in the very near future. Just not able to lug all of this gear around anymore. Especially, a sub or two. My goal is to use (2) sets of bookshelfs w/o the need for a sub or subs. The rest of my gear is going one way or another. No longer looking at/considering tube/integrated amps. The 2160 fits my needs perfectly. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Oh one last thing here. For the amount of money that I would be spending on both the 2160/Diamond 11.1's, I am also considering going back to powered studio monitors and selling off the 220's. The main reason is that I listen to most all of my music now while on my desktop. Thus, in the near-filed studio monitors would also work well. Hence, the 2160 is $800 and I estimate the 11.1's would set me back another $400 or so. As such, I would be looking at what I could get for no more than say $1,500. The Focal Alphas would be in very high contention if I were to go that route. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Oh one last thing here. For the amount of money that I would be spending on both the 2160/Diamond 11.1's, I am also considering going back to powered studio monitors and selling off the 220's. The main reason is that I listen to most all of my music now while on my desktop. Thus, in the near-filed studio monitors would also work well. Hence, the 2160 is $800 and I estimate the 11.1's would set me back another $400 or so. As such, I would be looking at what I could get for no more than say $1,500. The Focal Alphas would be in very high contention if I were to go that route. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil
I have a new portable near field setup Basically I move my computer desk to the middle of the room. That way I have an adjustable near field setup that's also in the sweet spot of my main rig. If I am expecting any company, this whole shebang is on castors and can be put back against the wall. Only have to disconnect the power strip and one Y cable. and just re-rout it behind either end of the sofa. I could do this easier with a laptop and an E-Z chair but I just dislike laptops. I like the little command setup of my desk.

The reason I did this, is because I have multiple pairs of speakers I like to listen to different ways and I don't have to deal with much in the way of room modes, even with the larger rig using the near field style arrangement.

Nobody's ever really lived in the living room here and all social activity has been around the kitchen table so, it doesn't really put anyone out and I have zero interior fashion worries as far as anyone else is concerned, nor could I care less.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I have a new portable near field setup Basically I move my computer desk to the middle of the room. That way I have an adjustable near field setup that's also in the sweet spot of my main rig. If I am expecting any company, this whole shebang is on castors and can be put back against the wall. Only have to disconnect the power strip and one Y cable. and just re-rout it behind either end of the sofa. I could do this easier with a laptop and an E-Z chair but I just dislike laptops. I like the little command setup of my desk.

The reason I did this, is because I have multiple pairs of speakers I like to listen to different ways and I don't have to deal with much in the way of room modes, even with the larger rig using the near field style arrangement.

Nobody's ever really lived in the living room here and all social activity has been around the kitchen table so, it doesn't really put anyone out and I have zero interior fashion worries as far as anyone else is concerned, nor could I care less.
Like you, I do not care for laptops either. Never have. Bought me a tablet or two and both did nothing but collect dust. Honestly, that is why I do not have a smart phone. Why would I? All it would do most of the time is collect dust. Just a waste of my money imho.

You know part of my plans, so here goes the rest of them. Very soon I hope to get this computer desk:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Z-Line-Designs-Cherry-Workstations-ZL2200-01WSU/203488837

Seen this actually go for as low as $107 w/free shipping! When I catch it a bit cheaper than $131, I will order it. The top shelf is 49" wide. I plan to put my 24" desktop monitor in the middle and my Diamond 220's on each side of my monitor. Then, my 2nd set of bookshelfs will be on stands angled in on each corner towards my seating position. Going to order a 2nd set of Mo-Pads as well.

The Outlaw 2160 has both an A or B speaker output. Plenty of power and lots of features. Can even connect my desktop directly to the 2160 via USB. If I get to move to where I hope, my new place will be a bit bigger than where I am now. The Z-Line Cyrus Workstation is a bit large. Using (2) sets of bookshelfs with one set on stands will also add to the space/room needed. Might wait until I get moved before buying the Z-Line desk though.

Not even concerned about my TV sound anymore. Hope to buy a soundbar ONLY to enhance the dialogue to the point that I can hear it better. Really don't watch that much TV to warrant anything above and beyond that. If I can hear the dialogue better, then I would have achieved my goal. Looking at the Vizio soundbars as we speak. Not going to spend very much on a soundbar/soundbase. Just no need for it.

If I opt for the studio monitor route again, then I will only use that one set. As mentioned, the Focal Alpha 65's are of high contention:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Alpha65

Also considering these although they are a bit more:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SceptreS6

Keep in mind, it is doubtful that I will go the studio monitor route again. Just leaving it as an option for me and my needs. The JBL 305's sounded fantastic too when I had them. Not to mention, they are much more affordable. It just all depends on my funds, the deal, and more importantly, my health. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis