WXC-50 USB Expansion?

C

Carlos rodriguez

Junior Audioholic
Hi, I have a WXC-50 Yamaha which only take 32gb usb flash drives. Is there any device that allows me to expand this capability, maybe and external USB "manager"??

C

Carlos rodriguez

Junior Audioholic
I could but I don't have a home network, thats why I just use flash drive directly plugged to the preamp. Are there any stand alone NAS, that I could pull from, without having to get complicated?? Just plug in a NAS, wired or wireless, and have that be my media hub??

Sorry, I'm sure there are lots of threads about this, will research further as well.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I could but I don't have a home network, thats why I just use flash drive directly plugged to the preamp. Are there any stand alone NAS, that I could pull from, without having to get complicated?? Just plug in a NAS, wired or wireless, and have that be my media hub??

Sorry, I'm sure there are lots of threads about this, will research further as well.
If you add a DLNA compliant hard drive and a router (which wouldn't need to be connected to the internet for this to work), you would be able to stream from the hard drive. Make sure to format any storage devices as FAT32, not FAT64. You would connect the WXC-50 to the router and if you have space near your audio equipment, I would recommend using an ethernet cable.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Hi, I have a WXC-50 Yamaha which only take 32gb usb flash drives. Is there any device that allows me to expand this capability, maybe and external USB "manager"??
Have you read/searched the manual on this topic?

Typically, the manual is going to tell you the largest size that the hardware can recognize. When you get into hardware limitations, you may have a hard-limit that the hardware simply does not have the resources needed to read anything >32gB. I don't know about this unit, but I suspect that you are hitting the limitations of the h/w.

That is why these other guys are pointing you towards streaming options to work around that hard limit.

C

Carlos rodriguez

Junior Audioholic
If you add a DLNA compliant hard drive and a router (which wouldn't need to be connected to the internet for this to work), you would be able to stream from the hard drive. Make sure to format any storage devices as FAT32, not FAT64. You would connect the WXC-50 to the router and if you have space near your audio equipment, I would recommend using an ethernet cable.
So I would just have to connect a DLNA compatible hard drive to my router and I can access my music with wifi, controlled using the WXC-50 choosing the network folder. This would be like a very simple network!!:)

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
So I would just have to connect a DLNA compatible hard drive to my router and I can access my music with wifi, controlled using the WXC-50 choosing the network folder. This would be like a very simple network!!:)
Yes- by design. Streaming works better than USB. I haven't set up a hard drive for my MusicCast yet, but I will after I sell some other pieces, like my Request server.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yes I am. Apparently it is purposely limited to 32gb, since it is designed to be a streamer, not a USB thingamajig!!
Yeah, "purposely limited" in the sense that they limited the hardware to make a price point ;)

I doubt that it is a firmware limitation.

C

Carlos rodriguez

Junior Audioholic
Does anybody know if a Western Digital My Cloud would work to store and stream my music using the WXC-50? This seems like the easiest way to expand that unnecessary 32gb limit!!!

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Does anybody know if a Western Digital My Cloud would work to store and stream my music using the WXC-50? This seems like the easiest way to expand that unnecessary 32gb limit!!!
Probably not on USB. The 32GB limit is in the Yamaha.

C

Carlos rodriguez

Junior Audioholic
Probably not on USB. The 32GB limit is in the Yamaha.
The idea would be to set up a NAS called My Cloud, or a WiFi hard drive, and stream the files from there. Like a media server, but simpler?

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
The idea would be to set up a NAS called My Cloud, or a WiFi hard drive, and stream the files from there. Like a media server, but simpler?
My Cloud on USB, no good.
NAS over WiFi, tolerable.
NAS over Gigabit hardline network, best.

You'll need a Gigabit router for that non-existent home network first ;).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis