Yamaha IR port location

P

punkbrain

Audiophyte
Hello I have a new Yamaha rx-v365. I need to know the exact location of the IR port in order to stick the little eye that retransmits the IR signal inside the cabinet in the right place. I've tried all the places you might expect it to be with no luck. Anyone have a schematic or happen to know where the IR ports are on the new Yamaha receivers.
Thanks!

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum!

I'll look a bit more, but here's some ideas to help you find it.
  • Place the remote control up close to the front panel, and then move it around as you press the buttons. That should help you figure out where the sensor is.
  • Shine a flashlight on the front panel display. You should then be able to see where the IR sensor is.
Do you need to place the repeater right up against the front panel? If not, place it a little distance away from the front panel of the 365 and the emitted light should hit enough of the front panel to reach the sensor.

P

punkbrain

Audiophyte
Thanks Adam.
I think there may be more of a problem than i thought. I just had someone repeatidly push power while i moved the repeater thoroughly all over the front of the receiver. Nothing ever happened. Is it possible that this uses an IR frequency that the repeater cannot repeat? Also I looked with a flashlight and there isn't anything that looks like an IR sensor... something new? I'm at a loss because I can't control this without walking into the next room now...
Any ideas?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
A couple of questions to help sort this out:
  1. Does the remote control that came with the receiver work?
  2. Have you tried using that repeater with any other hardware?
I'd say make sure that the repeater is connected properly and that it works with something else.

For reference, the IR sensor looks like a small circle on my receiver.

P

punkbrain

Audiophyte
Thanks Adam,
The remote works, and the repeater works with other hardware. I looked again and I see nothing that looks like an IR sensor??
Any other ideas?

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Most of the Yamahas have the sensor about a 1/2 inch from the right side of the display.
The easiest way to find it is to shine a flashlight into the display area and look for a round reddish dot.
I'm not real familiar with the layout of the latest Yamaha models but I would think this method would still work.

It is possible that the IR sensor is dead. I had a similar problem with a Sony receiver and also a Toshiba TV.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
What IR repeater system are you using? If the flasher is working and you have the repeater set up correctly, you should easily be able to get the receiver to respond by holding the flasher about a foot away from (and facing) the front panel display of the receiver. You shouldn't need to get it directly in front of the sensor.

So, I'm guessing that something is going on with the set-up of the repeater system.

EDIT: I want to make one of my previous questions more specific - does the flasher that you are trying to use with the Yamaha work with other hardware?

P

punkbrain

Audiophyte
"does the flasher that you are trying to use with the Yamaha work with other hardware?"

yes it does.

And to Nomo, the IR sensor can't be dead because the remote works when you use it directly, the problem is when using the repeater. I'll try holding the repeater a foot away and get back to you tomorrow.

I really appreciate all the effort, this is clearly a great forum.

P

punkbrain

Audiophyte
it's a xantech reperter.
AND I got everything working now. For reference the IR sensor is in the upper left corner of the display. I had to put the flasher in a VERY specific location. 1mm off and it doesn't work.
Thanks again for your help.

M

Mark Cohen

Audiophyte
I have a new yamaha RXA1070 receiver ... where is the ir sensor location?? Is there a diagram ? I cannot find a location on the internet.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis