Advice on new home set-up

J

jbo

Audioholic Intern
Bit about myself
hello - i am new to hifi, so apologies if my question is very basic. i am looking to set-up as best a sounding system as i can at home - don't mind if its wired with separates.

What would I like to know?
- The kit I need to get started and begin building a system, and perhaps some brands/models to test for speakers and an amp (and if i need anything else e.g. to listen from iphone to speakers).
- in this home and at this time - i dont have space to add CD player. so will mostly play music from digital sources and get a turntable longer term.
- want to get up and running so have sound at home (my b&w speaker is dead) - so only have volume from my TV which is poor.
- I think i would prefer wired/traditional set up versus wireless and modern looking solution (my gut tells me better sound).
- I can certainly go test out products, but i think i'll be pursaeded by sales people trying to push their highest margin products

thanks for the advice

Last edited:
J

jbo

Audioholic Intern
couple pictures to show room (changed armchair now but otherwise similar). one skylight of two in view, so somewhat high ceilings over there. in living room ceiling height visible (just look above TV to see where roof is). to my eye - bookshelf speakers on stand could look OK to left and right of the sidetable picture (currently has b&w speaker on it)

Last edited:
KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
At least you have the one thing many of us don't have...great audio shops to go see and audition many different speakers and components.

I think you might consider visiting some shops around the London area to get a baseline on what styles within different brands appeal to you because looks matter to you (as it does me.) Don't get me wrong, fidelity is paramount but if I don't like the looks of it there's no way I'm buying it!

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Were you intending to put everything on the console under the TV or use speaker stands?

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Get that TV to eye level. Where is the primary listening/TV viewing position in relation to the TV? Is it just that chair and sofa as options or is there a seat at the camera position?

J

jbo

Audioholic Intern
"Get that TV to eye level. Where is the primary listening/TV viewing position in relation to the TV? Is it just that chair and sofa as options or is there a seat at the camera position?Yes - I'll move TV to eye level (i knew that for computer monitors but hadnt thought of it for TV viewing!)."
the primary position is the grey sofa, the white armchair can be moved to the camera position you mentioned (so directly in front of the screen). the other thing i should stress - i'm looking for the best set-up i can afford right now, but i do plan on moving to (hopefully) a bigger home in due course - so i'm not overly concerned if the speakers arent exactly in the best spot right now as that is subject to change.

"Were you intending to put everything on the console under the TV or use speaker stands?"
i'm open minded about that i could put the speakers on the console, but i imagine most would recommend i use speaker stands which i would position to the left and right of the console.

"At least you have the one thing many of us don't have...great audio shops to go see and audition many different speakers and components.
I think you might consider visiting some shops around the London area to get a baseline on what styles within different brands appeal to you because looks matter to you (as it does me.) Don't get me wrong, fidelity is paramount but if I don't like the looks of it there's no way I'm buying it!"

I scheduled to visit some hifi stores on saturday here in London. the challenge i have, is if a shop shows me 3 setups - i'll inevitably think one is "best", but they wont have the time to go through every possible configuration - so i'll simply choose the "best" of the 3 options presented to me. whereas if i have some options recommended to me that meet a certain quality threshhold - i'll likely have better options put in front of me by the sales person as he may asssume i have some minimal amount of knowledtge (otherwise i'll walk out the store with the item they have the highest margin on - probably a very commercialized brand of which they move a lot of stock.

thats the main reason looking for amp/speaker suggestions. thank you for the advice so far especially on TV height!

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Dali, Focal, KEF, Dynaudio are all solid brands, you can't go wrong with any of them. Your biggest problem at the moment is good placement. I don't see where you can place speakers in there where they will work best that won't also get in the way. For this reason I wouldn't spend a whole lot on good speakers until you have another arrangement.

The advice about lowering the TV is spot on. Get that thing to a lower elevation. Watching it for prolonged periods can't be comfortable.

Very nice apartment, btw.

J

jbo

Audioholic Intern
Hello - the plan is to try and move flats to a house in the next few years - so even if I cant get the most out of the speakers in the short term, in the longer term i could set them up properly. so - i would rather buy them once and keep them for a long time.

I went to a London based hifi store today. Unfortunately - they didn't have the Dalis i wanted to try. so - i tried the B&W 685 s2 and the KEF R100. I preferred the sound of the KEF R100 - but i don't think i could live with the style of them. they didnt have other speakers for me to try - so just had these 2 to compare. also felt that as i'm new to hifi - they just directed me to the "whathifi" recommend brands, they also didnt seem to be that comfortable talking about or selling the Dalis or other brands they carry. i get the feeling they probably sell mostly b&w speakers as they're comfortable selling them.

For an AMP - i want something i can add to longer term (a turntable, sub and maybe go 5.1) - so the store recommended an A/V amp rather than a stereo one.

Unfortunately they didn't have the amp they would have suggested to use in stock, so i listed to the speakers on a different amp then i would actually purchase.

For the B&W 685 s2 - the store recommended a Marantz NR1608 BK Slim A/V Receiver or a Yamaha RXA670 BK AV RCVR.

anyways, felt i learned a bit (sounds like an AV amp will fit my needs better). but still no clearer on speakers to try or amps to try. going to try some more hifi stores - so if anyone can recommend any specific speakers and amp set ups to try would be amazing. i think i need to specifically ask for the brands/models i want to try, or perhaps they'll just push the b&o 685 s2 - which may be fine for me but i was hoping to get to try some other set ups

thanks

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello - the plan is to try and move flats to a house in the next few years - so even if I cant get the most out of the speakers in the short term, in the longer term i could set them up properly. so - i would rather buy them once and keep them for a long time.

I went to a London based hifi store today. Unfortunately - they didn't have the Dalis i wanted to try. so - i tried the B&W 685 s2 and the KEF R100. I preferred the sound of the KEF R100 - but i don't think i could live with the style of them. they didnt have other speakers for me to try - so just had these 2 to compare. also felt that as i'm new to hifi - they just directed me to the "whathifi" recommend brands, they also didnt seem to be that comfortable talking about or selling the Dalis or other brands they carry. i get the feeling they probably sell mostly b&w speakers as they're comfortable selling them.

For an AMP - i want something i can add to longer term (a turntable, sub and maybe go 5.1) - so the store recommended an A/V amp rather than a stereo one.

Unfortunately they didn't have the amp they would have suggested to use in stock, so i listed to the speakers on a different amp then i would actually purchase.

For the B&W 685 s2 - the store recommended a Marantz NR1608 BK Slim A/V Receiver or a Yamaha RXA670 BK AV RCVR.

anyways, felt i learned a bit (sounds like an AV amp will fit my needs better). but still no clearer on speakers to try or amps to try. going to try some more hifi stores - so if anyone can recommend any specific speakers and amp set ups to try would be amazing. i think i need to specifically ask for the brands/models i want to try, or perhaps they'll just push the b&o 685 s2 - which may be fine for me but i was hoping to get to try some other set ups

thanks
Welcome to AH. :)

Unfortunately you are in a tough spot.
Speakers and the room is what you really hear, not the electronics.
If you go to a store there and listen to different setups, most likely the rooms or the locations of the different speakers in a single larger room will have a large sonic effect and will sque the outcome.
Same will apply to your present flat and later another living room.
1000+ pound is not pocket change to spend for a couple of years when your new space may dictate a whole new setup.

Components like an AVR will only be software upgradable. And, if your speakers change in the new location,
you may need a different AVR if the speakers' impedance so dictates.

Don't waste pounds on expensive wires, less expensive could do.

with bookcase speakers you will need a sub.

J

jbo

Audioholic Intern
thanks for the warm welcome.

so - i think if i get good bookshelf speakers, and amp and a sub - i'll really enjoy it the next years. if i do indeed move - i think the setup will still be just fine for me (realistically wont have a much bigger house for floorstanders, so would keep bookshelfs). so i would like to just get a good setup for this home.

my only other option is to go buy another all in one speaker - but i'll spend £200-£300 for sound i'm not really happy wiht - so at this point i think its the right time to go for new speakers and amp and a sub

so would like some advice on good speakers and their accompanying amps so i can go out and hear some...

i think it will be sucha massive upgrade on my current set up (my b&w is broken) so all i have is the TV sound - and its an 8 year old + sony bravia so its not exactly hifi!

j

Last edited:
J

jbo

Audioholic Intern
Here is a plan given some of the feedback from you guys (thanks!):
- lower TV to eye level
- set up the armchair in this fashion, and use a speaker stand to the left and right of the media console.
- subwoofer on the floor
- amp on the media console (or inside the console cabinet)

Any suggestions on specific AV receiver and speaker and sub? Setup from store visit (didn't show me many options): b&w 685 and the Marantz NR1608 receiver. i want to have the ability to stream tidal from my phone, add a turntable and perhaps 5.1 later on, and play music in other rooms wireless. how is this setup? (no Marantz NR1608 in store so B&W were driven by Arcam amp)

How would these speakers compare to B&W 685 S2?
- Dali Zensor 3 (seem like a bargain in the UK). which AV receiver? less tiring perhaps than B&W 685s2 (seem to be compared a lot to 685 despite much lower price point)
- Dali Opticon 1 (walnut)
- Dali Opticon 2 (pair with marantz PM8005 amp?)
- Dynaudio M20 (black)
- B&W 685 S2 (sounded good)
- Dynaudio Emit M20
- KEF R300 (out of budget but want to try)

Which AV receiver to drive the above speakers, sub (onger term maybe 5.1 and turntable addition)
- Marantz NR1608 - any other options? i like the marnatz style and also Denon and Yamaha
- Marantz NR1607 - I saw last years model is available for less £
- Arcam recommended in store for B&W 685 S2(I just don't like the look of them)

The Dali Zensor 3 with the Marantz NR1607 (if i can do that combo) would work out a TON cheaper than most the other setups, and many threads seem to regard the Dali Zensor 3 as similar to the B&W 685 (albeit the Dali being less tiring on the ears).

Any subwoofer options?

Do I need surge protector?

Anything else I need?
Cables: don't need special ones for this setup (thanks for that tip!)

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Only you can decide which speakers will sound better to your ears. Go out and listen to as many as you can, there should be lots of opportunities in London.

If the Marantz 1607 has all the features you require, no sense in getting the 1608.

As for subs, in the UK, for your aesthetic criteria, I would be looking at the SVS SB-2000.

Your new seating arrangement should make for a much better sounding system then previous, at least for that one seat.

J

jbo

Audioholic Intern
Went to hear (in order of price lowest to highest) the dali zensor 3, opticon 1 and opticon 2. They didn't have the AV receiver i wanted to try (Marrantz NR1608) so they used a Cambridge one.

I really loved the sound of the Zensor 3 and the Opticon 2. I couldnt hear much difference - but the price difference between the 2 is almost double. any insight as to why?

Also - would the Marrantz NR1607 (last years model) be suffice to power the Zensor 3 or Opticon 2?

I'll try the Dynaudio M20 tomorrow, but may be hard to hear the difference between the Dali and the Dynaudio after a day break.

AV receiver
Would the Marrantz NR1607 suffice for the Dynaudio as well - or any other AV recievers you guys could recommend? would the Denon AVR-X2300W also suit the Dali Opticon 2 or Dynaudio M20? Denon seems to have a bit more power - will that be advantageous for this set up? the Denon is also significantly less money than the Marrantz. Or the Marantz 6010 or 6011 - any advantages on those?

thanks for the suggestion on the sub. it looks great but not sure if my budget will support that at this time

Last edited:
agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
AV receiver
Would the Marrantz NR1607 suffice for the Dynaudio as well - or any other AV recievers you guys could recommend? would the Denon AVR-X2300W also suit the Dali Opticon 2 or Dynaudio M20? Denon seems to have a bit more power - will that be advantageous for this set up? the Denon is also significantly less money than the Marrantz. Or the Marantz 6010 or 6011 - any advantages on those?
If possible, get a full size receiver over the slim ones. Their amp section is more robust and needed especially if you're forgoing the subwoofer at first.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
What about the KEF R100 looks is it that didn't appeal to you? I think they look quite different with the (magnetically attached) grills on or off, and are available in gloss white, black, or American Walnut veneer.

The KEF R100 are on special pricing here in the US for $800 a pair, but the far better speaker is the LS50 at $1200 a pair. The Dynaudio Emit is a great speaker too!

Last edited:
J

jbo

Audioholic Intern
The KEF R100 just look a bit too futuristic/like an aircraft engine and I cant see them blending in into my home, but they are beautiful.

I'm fine to get a full-size receiver, but when i phone a store yesterday to inquire about the Marantz versus the Denon (for Opticon 2) - they said to go for Marantz and said would sound better than the Denon (said Denon more for movie experience and Marantz more for music). but the Denon puts out more watts - so i thought the Denon would be the better match. store also said Marantz Heleos has advantaegs over the Denon offering (cant remember Denon name)

AV Reciever
I'll try the Dynaudio Emit today, think it will be between the Dynaudio Emit and the Dali Opticon 2.
Any advice on an AV reciever that nicely compliments the Dynaudio and Dali Opticon 2?
Options so far: Marantz or Denon

one thing that comes up in other forums in listener fatigue - would the Dali perhaps be a little easier on the listener than the Dynaudio? i'm by no means an audiophile - but would like a speaker that has some warmth and a speaker i grow to love in a sense (cant think of how else to describe) - so after rich, warm sound - nothing too piercing on my ears. perhaps the right av reciever will help with ensuring i dont hit fatigue too early so any suggestions welcomed!

Last edited:
J

jbo

Audioholic Intern
So - tested out the Dynaudio M20 on Cyrus One Amp - sounded great.

I would like to get the Dynaudio M20, just a matter of deciding on an AV receiver or an amplifier. My biggest concern with going with an amplifier is lip sync delay - do I need to worry about this? I have a Sony KDL-40V5500, so i'm just worried that if I buy the Dynaudio M20 and an amp (e.g. Yamaha AS801, Rotel RA-12, or NAD C368). Do I need to worry about lip-sync delay when using amazon fire tv or am I overthinking this? I would need to add somethign to have functionality with Tidal or Spotify. Because i have an older TV i dont think it has lip synch delay functionality

my other options is to buy an AV reciever like the Yamaha Rxa860 - can play music, can add a turntable, can plugin amazon fire tv, can feed a projector, has pre-out so could add 2 channel amp but unllikely i would do this due to the outlay of this device.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Anthem MRX520 or NAD 758v3 appeal to me, not many others.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
So - tested out the Dynaudio M20 on Cyrus One Amp - sounded great.

I would like to get the Dynaudio M20, just a matter of deciding on an AV receiver or an amplifier. My biggest concern with going with an amplifier is lip sync delay - do I need to worry about this? I have a Sony KDL-40V5500, so i'm just worried that if I buy the Dynaudio M20 and an amp (e.g. Yamaha AS801, Rotel RA-12, or NAD C368). Do I need to worry about lip-sync delay when using amazon fire tv or am I overthinking this? I would need to add somethign to have functionality with Tidal or Spotify. Because i have an older TV i dont think it has lip synch delay functionality

my other options is to buy an AV reciever like the Yamaha Rxa860 - can play music, can add a turntable, can plugin amazon fire tv, can feed a projector, has pre-out so could add 2 channel amp but unllikely i would do this due to the outlay of this device.
I am sure there is a price point where this feature gets cut off ( tho it shouldn't) but most receiver/preamps should have a manual lip-sync adjustment for each input. Perhaps a quick email to the manufacturer or peruse the manual just to be sure.

J

jbo

Audioholic Intern
I am sure there is a price point where this feature gets cut off ( tho it shouldn't) but most receiver/preamps should have a manual lip-sync adjustment for each input. Perhaps a quick email to the manufacturer or peruse the manual just to be sure.
just as i thought i'm making progress - lip sync issues introduced to the mix..

Current situation:
- want to drive Dynaudio emit m20 on speaker stands
- longer term: turntables
- will watch 60% movies (netflix and amazon prime mostly - no SKY or similar TV) and 40% music
- want to get a stereo 2 channel amp - is there risk of lip sync issues w/ a 2 channel amp? i hear the new TV's have a lip sync adjustment but my TV is quite old (9 or so years).
- just want 2 speakers and an amp and the best sound from that possbile. but i also want to watch movies and tv from amazon fire tv - is this possible w/ 2 channel or do i need an AV reciever? feeling lost on this point re lip sync issue

i've been through the manual of the Yamaha A-S801 as suggested(would pair with WXAD-10), but cant find if there is a lip sync adjustment feature.

AV receiver or stereo amp - based on my needs
so then i have to wonder if its better to get a cheaper AV reciever for movies on the Dyn Audio m20 and then longer term run a separate stereo amp. all just starts to feel like overkill considering i'm only going to be running 2 speakers.

details on the TV i have

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis