j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
FXT is the way to go, but the revised version is coming too (sometime next year likely). Could be a good time to pick up the last of the outgoing models or wait for the next one that will be bigger, but likely have pretty much the same motor. I was impressed with the current XT, despite the CVT. I actually liked the XV better, though it is smaller. There is also the 2018 XV built on the new platform, which is pretty much the size of the older Forester, but it does not come turbo...yet. The handling and ride quality of the XV surprised me, considering my STI is pretty stiff for a daily driver.

My buddy's Q5 lasted a year before they got rid of it. Performance yes, but reliability not so much.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
New teenage wall poster
With 30k complete engine overhauls!

Honestly, it is AMAZING that they have rebuilt an F1 engine to be useable on the street. Those things are built to such tight tolerances they have to stored in heated oil baths to keep the engine from seizing and snapping valves!

Re: Subaru I'm quite pleased with the upgrades (in the last 15 years) over our previous Forrester. My Dad has a Q7 and I will say the isolation is definitely a worthy 'luxury' upgrade, but at 3x the price. We've stuck with the 2.5L thanks to the reliability, but own it outright. In your case, I see no reason to shy away from the turbo charged model when leasing.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My previous FXT had 160K on the clock when I sold it, original motor, original turbo. My WRX 150K when I sold it, original motor, original turbo. As long as you change the oil on time and with quality synthetic, they'll go for a very long time. STI currently has just 17K on it.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Audis are sometimes like that, as are VWs.
Yeah, my friend loved his VW, but got sick of dealing with the issues when he needed a simple part it costs too much and had to be imported. That would suck.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Since you are interested in performance, maybe you should see if there is an SUV based on the Dodge RAM SRT10 Pickup truck!
Norwegian race car driver, Tommy Rustad, clocked it in the top 5 vehicles he drove around the Artic Circle Raceway! It tied the Mazda RX-8 for 4th-5th place and beat the German made Focus RS. This is a road race track (S-curves, etc) not a drag strip or NASCAR oval!!!

http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/arctic-circle-raceway

Start video at 4:20 to save some time.

The video is kind of fun because the show host/passenger appears nervous about being that high up in a vehicle being tossed into corners!

Credit to AH member "hankki" who posted it a two years ago:
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/really-boring-stuff-only-iii-resurrection.81395/page-852#post-1098297

Last edited:
ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Audi's reliability has come up along ways the past several years. It is top of it's class now. I have owned 3 Audi's and one being a coupe, 1 a SQ and one a Q5 TDI. Loved all of them and never had an issue. Now they are made in Mexico so who knows. I walked away.

Jags, Alfas and Range Rovers will leave you on the side of the road.

I agree on the X3 35i M-Sport. It was at the top of my list, well, in that price range it was but then I increased my range. I really wanted to like the X6M or X5M and they drove great but everyone has a BMW.

I am on my 3rd Merc and still have 2 of them. I have seen a grand total of 3 cars like mine and one belongs to my friend. It's not a car for everyone but I really dig it. You live once, get what you want.

Last edited:
ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
100% agree on NAV systems. The thing is without car integration,like Android Auto, at it's a bit not convenient.
|I'll check x3, but it's both smaller side i think. For these money I'd be looking at SQ5.
I'm curious, did you tried the merc? Forgot the model AMG GLC 43? 0-60 in 4.8s. similar msrp?
The AMG GLC 43 is very nice but the new GLC Coupe is hotter...lol.... I would easily get either of these. I actually offered to get my wife one when I got my GLE 63. She went and drove it but declined stating that she just loves her GLA. She drives 4 miles a day so I'm glad she didn't take me up on it. I also offered her my Q5 and told her I would just trade in the GLA but she didn't want to do that either.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Good to know that about the Audi's. I've been eyeing an S5 for some time...

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Was it brand new Q5 or he bought it second hand?
I should mention that I'm a 2016 Audi S3 owner (purchased new), and it has never had a problem. (Other than an incompetently designed Nav system.)

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I am sure it was a pre-2013 2.0 that had the known carbon build up issues.

Remember, my nextdoor neighbor is an Audi shop manager and he says he never sees any problems with modern Q5's.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It was new. They live around the corner from the dealer. I believe it was a 2012 or 2013 when they got it.

No manufacturer is without fault. I've had good experiences with Honda/Acura, Nissan and Subaru, but each has had various "known" issues. My daughter's 2011 Outback has a recall on the transmission and mine just had an emissions related recall on top of the airbag recall that affected most manufacturers.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
It was new. They live around the corner from the dealer. I believe it was a 2012 or 2013 when they got it.

No manufacturer is without fault. I've had good experiences with Honda/Acura, Nissan and Subaru, but each has had various "known" issues. My daughter's 2011 Outback has a recall on the transmission and mine just had an emissions related recall on top of the airbag recall that affected most manufacturers.
I had few recalls on my outback. I don't necessarily count them as issues, as they were mostly just in case fixes. Well except one, emergency auto break system didn't originally actually break the car, only provided warning. Luckily I never had to test it before or after the recall.
For me new car issue , like above mentioned, being stranded on side of the road or unable to start the car, besides obvious stuff like dead battery

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Since you are interested in performance, maybe you should see if there is an SUV based on the Dodge RAM SRT10 Pickup truck!
Norwegian race car driver, Tommy Rustad, clocked it in the top 5 vehicles he drove around the Artic Circle Raceway! It tied the Mazda RX-8 for 4th-5th place and beat the German made Focus RS. This is a road race track (S-curves, etc) not a drag strip or NASCAR oval!!!

http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/arctic-circle-raceway

Start video at 4:20 to save some time.

The video is kind of fun because the show host/passenger appears nervous about being that high up in a vehicle being tossed into corners!

Credit to AH member "hankki" who posted it a two years ago:
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/really-boring-stuff-only-iii-resurrection.81395/page-852#post-1098297
Thanks, but like I said, I have little trust in modern American car designs.
Case in point: https://consumerist.com/2017/09/20/nearly-500k-dodge-ram-trucks-recalled-over-fire-risk/

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Case in point: https://consumerist.com/2017/09/20/nearly-500k-dodge-ram-trucks-recalled-over-fire-risk/
Geeze. That's crazy. I would point out that Dodge is owned by Fiat and by all accounts they have not done some smart things. I have a 2015 Durango that I love. It has a Dodge designed engine (hopefully it doesn't catch fire...) and have heard really bad things about the Dodges that have Fiat parts.

IIRC Fiat ownes Alfa as well so that may speak to their reliability issues.

If it were me looking for the vehicle that you are I really like the look of the Audi. I like infinity, but have had issues with Nissan vehicles in the past. I still like them though, just expensive to fix.

My mom has a Toyota Highlander and loves it. It's a very nice vehicle. Not sure it would be on your list since it isn't going to be all that fast.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I like infiniti just fine and they are fast enough, the issue is adding active safety tech on Infiniti like qx50 brings the price up by insane $8k. Still, maybe I could get decent lease deal, but I'm not counting on it.
Somewhat Disagree re Alfas. Their reliability was attrotious before Fiat bought them. It's probably improved to mediocre by now

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
While I've already admitted to not being a fan of most domestic vehicles, I think you're overlooking the numerous problems with German vehicles. Porsche and BMW have had engines that have internals disintegrate, and Mercedes has had fire scares too:

http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/news/mercedes-benz-recalls-300-000-cars-u-s-article-1.2994265

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
While I've already admitted to not being a fan of most domestic vehicles, I think you're overlooking the numerous problems with German vehicles. Porsche and BMW have had engines that have internals disintegrate, and Mercedes had had fire scares too:

http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/news/mercedes-benz-recalls-300-000-cars-u-s-article-1.2994265
Fair enough. I'm not too keen in European makers either, but between Japanese manufacturers, outside of Infiniti, hardly anyone else makes a "hot" crossover. FXT is close enough, but not "classy", despite changes in right direction, it still pretty much box on wheels.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I like infiniti just fine and they are fast enough, the issue is adding active safety tech on Infiniti like qx50 brings the price up by insane $8k. Still, maybe I could get decent lease deal, but I'm not counting on it.
Somewhat Disagree re Alfas. Their reliability was attrotious before Fiat bought them. It's probably improved to mediocre by now
Ok. You got me on the Alfa. I did know their rep was bad, just didn't know it was bad before fiat.

Aren't jags and land rover supposed to have awful reliability also?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis