Knukoncepts krux speaker wire ?

music4cities

music4cities

Junior Audioholic
Aren't those 5 way binding posts? Looks like they take banana plugs. They don't have the holes in the posts to accept bare wire? If you're worried about contact, that's the best you can do. I've never heard of speakers made to primarily be used with spade connectors. Learn some thing new every day here. What speakers are they? I don't think you've said.
Bare wire corrodes. No thanks. And no holes anyway. Yes they take bananna but LIKE I ALREADY SAID SPADES JUST WORK BETTER FOR AESTHETIC REASONS plus a tad better mechanically.

Mirage MRM-1 speakers btw. Pocket rockets, made only briefly.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
this whole thread began with a simple question about any experiences with a particular wire and for those of a scientific mien if there might be red flags for it's capacatence due to its braided geo. Because there were aesthetic reasons it was of interest. That's IT.

There are times and settings when the way a wire looks matters. There are legit reasons to choose one cable over the other, or one termination over the other that may not be purely audio based or which indeed may actually have an affect on performance due to vissisitides if equipment and/or room set up.

Come on dudes! Do you choose your furniture, your car or clothes without any AESTHETIC CRIERIA OR ERGONOMIC CRITERIA extrinsic to technical or use value?

The rejection of snake oil does not oblige one always use monoprice zip cord for zip cord sake. Or Belden 5000 when it's just not going to cut the interior design mustard for whatever reason.
I guess I just never thought of speaker cables as furniture.

music4cities

music4cities

Junior Audioholic
I guess I just never thought of speaker cables as furniture.
Dude, how hard is it: the back of speakers and cables are very visible due to room and house set up. so while normally wire is hidden, in this case it's not! So it matters how they look.

And yeah, the entire speaker binding post thing is messed up and lacks rigorous standards. Not my fault but it's true. I have rarely seen five way posts that are in practice or implementation really five way. And they vary widely from Brand to brand and even within brands. It's not quite like f-types, or hdmi or for which there are adopted standard industry specs for the mechanical connector. Heck, it's not even RCA, a connector adopted far beyond to intended purpose and as a result always already a bit of a compromised solution. Banana plugs were a kludge of a kind when popularized, borrowed from other uses like low voltage electrical circuits. And again, some plugs work better in some sockets than others. Cause they are not all designed to exact standards or maybe tight enough tolerances. Spades or ring terminals just an adoption of generic types that build in non-perfect fit/mating tolerances. Hey at least one can tighten a nut down on it properly! Unless it's a NAD, in which case you are out of luck unles the spade is one particular size ad shape. Which it won't be because there is nothing even close to a standard beyond aroximate post diameter.

Indeed the EU has taken issue with the consumer use of banana plugs and sockets because they are not specific enough etc.

It's almost enough to make one appreciate Naim's idiosyncratic commitment to DIN! Or the connectors found in pro audio.

What can say, I'm picky.

And dudes, don't tell me to change the room to accommodate ugly wire. Though to be honest that is the vibe I'm getting from ya'll. Why don't you just use the stock jumpers?" Why not use banana plugs?" I have said why and don't see the red to justify and repeat over and over why.

I'm done. Peace. Out.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Dude, how hard is it: the back of speakers and cables are very visible due to room and house set up. so while normally wire is hidden, in this case it's not! So it matters how they look.

What can say, I'm picky

And don't tell me to change the room to accommodate ugly wire.

I'm done. Peace. Out.
Whoah, chiiiillll, bill. You're getting all riled up over... ? . Generally speaking, most members here have listed their gear at one time or another. I'm only curious and you're getting all RAWR about it. :eek:

*Edit: You added a huge run-on paragraph explaining connections to me after I replied to you. Just wanted to point that out...

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
View attachment 22246

Cable erotica...

I made this with my own two hands and a drill.

It is made with blue jeans Belden wire with the outer grey jacket removed. Two conductors are twisted together (they already are but it's a tighter twist here) using the drill. Repeat with second pair. Then twist those two twisted pairs together -- in the opposite direction. This creates a double twisted pair. Good For RF and resistance. Two locking spade terminations for amp/wall outlet end, for for the speakers binding posts, eliminating the need for jumpers (aka, bi wired).

This is a short test run for speakers attached to a wall jack.
RF doesn't affect the signal after the amplifier unless it's extremely strong and the resistance won't change noticeably by doing this, either. In addition, skin effect is only a factor outside of the range of human hearing.

http://www.belden.com/blog/broadcastav/Understanding-Skin-Effect-and-Frequency.cfm

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Has Lando left Cloud City? Maybe Vader stole the kyber crystals he has integrated with his cables for his light saber...

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
this whole thread began with a simple question about any experiences with a particular wire and for those of a scientific mien if there might be red flags for it's capacatence due to its braided geo. Because there were aesthetic reasons it was of interest. That's IT.

There are times and settings when the way a wire looks matters. There are legit reasons to choose one cable over the other, or one termination over the other that may not be purely audio based or which indeed may actually have an affect on performance due to vissisitides if equipment and/or room set up.

Come on dudes! Do you choose your furniture, your car or clothes without any AESTHETIC CRIERIA OR ERGONOMIC CRITERIA extrinsic to technical or use value?

The rejection of snake oil does not oblige one always use monoprice zip cord for zip cord sake. Or Belden 5000 when it's just not going to cut the interior design mustard for whatever reason.
Man was I hitting these same walls. It made me laugh when it was you because my head doesn't hurt and you betrayed Han.

When I was looking for amplification, I couldn't get through to them. Trying to explain that most rcvr's are ugly. I was lucky my case got "assigned":) to a gentleman who just let it go
(@Swerd ).

But this guy gets it.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
@KenM10759 made some beautiful cables a year and a half back, but pics expired. Shame. They were great.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think we need more threads about cables. It's such a hard to understand science and you don't often see folks talking about it.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I think we need more threads about cables. It's such a hard to understand science and you don't often see folks talking about it.
Well, I think in this instance you could've cut the guy some slack. If he already said he understands the technical side of the matter and is talking about other aspects, why not? This way we came of as being crude and full of "scars from hot debates long gone" that we're not even capable of mentioning cables.

This way it looks that it became a bit of a taboo only because the specs are resolved. Like in Fawlty Towers - Just don't mention the cables!!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well, I think in this instance you could've cut the guy some slack. If he already said he understands the technical side of the matter and is talking about other aspects, why not? This way we came of as being crude and full of "scars from hot debates long gone" that we're not even capable of mentioning cables.

This way it looks that it became a bit of a taboo only because the specs are resolved. Like in Fawlty Towers - Just don't mention the cables!!
I really don't think I was that rough on him. He got very defensive very fast and kind of rage quit. I was just trying to see where he was coming from with the weird cable obsession.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I really don't think I was that rough on him.
No, no. Don't get me wrong, you wasn't rough at all, but the guy wasn't obsessed for wanting everything neat and pretty where he lives. That was, kinda my point with linking another member's thread with pretty cables. People want these even here. Hell I want them. But he couldn't get through because everyone just kept repeating that they do nothing for the sound which he knew.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
This way it looks that it became a bit of a taboo only because the specs are resolved. Like in Fawlty Towers - Just don't mention the cables!!/I]

If you leave out the technical aspects, about all that's left to talk about are:
a] Price
b] Availability
c] Looks
d] Reliability
e] Connector convenience
f] Suitability for the length and loudspeakers being discussed

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Exactly.

Look at this. This is one of mine:
upload_2017-9-15_17-41-41.jpeg

Now, this is shite, and I mean SHITE. And it looks awful even though it doesn't affect the sound.

We have to loosen up on the subject, really.

highfigh

highfigh

Exactly.

Look at this. This is one of mine:
View attachment 22341

Now, this is shite, and I mean SHITE. And it looks awful even though it doesn't affect the sound.

We have to loosen up on the subject, really.
How do you know it doesn't affect the sound? Did you do a proper double blind A:B:X test?

:D

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
The real problem is that some people hear things which don't exist, and they argue with you!!:D

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Jason,

If you are talking about speaker cables, I don't think we need more threads about them. The topic has been debated so many times.

As long as the cable conducts electricity, this is what a wire is supposed to do. The only important aspect is to make sure that the total resistance of the cable is kept within a certain limit: it should be kept to less than 5% of the nominal speaker system impedance.

Also, if the length of the cable doesn't exceed 50 feet, we don't have to worry about its capacitance, unless its one of those expensive esoteric wires that have unnecessary added capacitance which can destabilize some amplifiers.

Cheers,

André

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

The real problem is that some people hear things which don't exist, and they argue with you!!:D
It wouldn't be a problem if they just didn't argue and accept that it happens. I ask at time if someone said something to be told nothing was said. Yes, it happens!:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis