KEF q700s or RBH r55tis

L

Lilmo6868

Junior Audioholic
Cant decide.
Con of r55ti are the rear ports. Love the look tho.
Not sure bout the Kefs
Also looking at prime towers, Con to them is no red shade wood. Lol

No way to sample in my area so id love to hear the opinions of you all.
Right now appearance is winning. Lol. But definitely wont be deciding factor...need help from those thats heard them... Thanks in advance
I have 2 hsu subs and im 90% movies, so could i get away with wall mounting rear port speakers ?

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Did you email RBH, KEF about plugging ports or minimum distance to rear wall? If it were me I'd take the KEFs , but that's my subjective opinion.

L

Lilmo6868

Junior Audioholic
Kinda hoping some in here may have had some trial and error with that.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Kinda hoping some in here may have had some trial and error with that.
Speakers are subjective, they are both good speakers. What one person prefers another might not. Kef probably has a little more output, but not enough to matter since your using subs.

EDIT: Did you email the manufacturers to see about the port issue? That might give you the answer

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I can't comment on the RBH but I would say you can't go wrong with the R700. I have the smaller LS50 and the larger R900 and I love them. The R700 should sound quite similar to the R900. You can read the review linked below but I suggest you read JA's bench test measurements first before reading the subjective part. In fact, I typically won't waste my time reading the subjective part if the measurements look good to me but that's just me.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/kef-r700-loudspeaker-measurements
Q700 not R fyi :)

L

Lilmo6868

Junior Audioholic
They claim it really won't be an issue with plugging them off since I'm using subs and won't be generating anything under 40 Hertz or so anyway

L

Lilmo6868

Junior Audioholic
I have read many many reviews on the q700 and the r55ti and the Primes. I really can't find any cons to any of them so I know it's all speakers and they're all preference issues. I was just kind of hoping that maybe a few in here have listened to one or all of them and could just give some generalized opinions

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I have read many many reviews on the q700 and the r55ti and the Primes. I really can't find any cons to any of them so I know it's all speakers and they're all preference issues. I was just kind of hoping that maybe a few in here have listened to one or all of them and could just give some generalized opinions
I've listened to the KEFs and the RBH bookshelf version and that's what I based my opinion on.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I owned the Q700s for a while, key word being owned.

IMHO, when used with subs, they don't really offer much over the Q300s. The 2.5 way design means the UniQ driver is doing the bulk of the work, with the dedicated 6.5" woofer kicking in only about the point where you'd be handing off to the subs anyway. I also appreciate the added flexibility of a ported design, as plugging the ports on my R500s made a difference for me in getting the crossover region with the sub right.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I recall something about the Q700 mid driver breakup not being adequately depressed by the crossover.

I vote RBH.

L

Lilmo6868

Junior Audioholic
I owned the Q700s for a while, key word being owned.

IMHO, when used with subs, they don't really offer much over the Q300s. The 2.5 way design means the UniQ driver is doing the bulk of the work, with the dedicated 6.5" woofer kicking in only about the point where you'd be handing off to the subs anyway. I also appreciate the added flexibility of a ported design, as plugging the ports on my R500s made a difference for me in getting the crossover region with the sub right.
So the R500 are a rear ported Tower and you plugged off the ports?

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Thank you for sharing .
R55s on the way..
Thehll be big improvement im sure over my 10 yr old paradigms.
Definitely start a thread showing off your speakers in Pros & Joes section :).

L

Lilmo6868

Junior Audioholic
Update
The rbh r55ti,s came in last week. And I highly recommend "bad robot" because the speakers were here four days after I ordered them and it was a pretty good little journey. And they paid shipping. I also went ahead and ordered the r56 center to match so my front soundstage will hopefully be in sync again.
They were bstock and I guess they are changing the design of the r55ti or something because this was the only set I could find but nevertheless I got them they're here and I'm very pleased they are a little brighter then the 10-year old paradigms that I had in the front and center. And not to mention the Finish is just awesome.
I can now hear things that I didn't hear before in my front soundstage. I have the front's crossed at 40 and the center at 60. I do have the front right up against the wall no I did not plug the porch in all honesty I haven't seen a need to because the subs are taking care of everything below but they still got a decent Punchy little midbass and some deep voice coming from the three woofers.
Thanks all for the advice and just thought I'd share this

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis