What size Dayton Sub for 2.1/.2 HT set-up?

W

Winny94

Audiophyte
I have a room thats about 2300 cu/ft. I am running a denon x1300 and a pair of Ascend 170se. The 12" is out of stock for about a month. Do I hold off until then, or go with a 15? or go with a pair of 10s? or a single 10? Any advice? its a music/movie 50/50 split. For music its mostly americana, some county (not current pop country), and southern rock.
thanks for any help!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The 15" will have more output than two 10"s, but the two 10"s can give you a smoother frequency response and thus high quality sound if you can place them in good locations. The 15" will probably give you more deep bass, that would be better for movies but won't make a difference on the type of music you listen to.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
The 15” digs down to about 23hz, while the 10” only gets to about 30hz, and that’s -6dB on the 10”. In addition, the level of output on the 15” is very respectable, I’ve measured around 112dB half space at 1m, at a distance of 9 feet, which is my listening position, I get 105dB from 25hz+. I listen to movies at about -15 to -10dB, and have a 1920 cubic ft room. if you like watching movies at a fairly high volume, you’re likely to reach the xmax limits of the 10”, especially in a room that size.

For music, a response down to 30hz is plenty adequate. That extra octave from the sub 1500 is noticeable though in movies. If you can afford two 15s or two 12s that’d be better.

Either way, I get decent results with a single 15 placed in an ideal location in an ideally shaped room. The 1500 packs enough punch to literally shake my sofa during movies, and offer a much more visceral, tactile experience. All of the subs sound surprisingly good with music as well, and measure reasonably flat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis