Floor speakers (Klipsch KG4 vs Infinity Kappa Series ii vs Polk M5 vs Cerwin Vega RE-38)

M

MaximusGluteus

Audiophyte
Hi everyone!

Let me start by saying that the extent of my knowledge when it comes to audio equipment is subwoofer = lows, midrange = mids, tweeter = highs. That's pretty much it.

I'm looking to set up a home audio system in a fairly large living room. It will be strictly for music right now (will add a TV for movies eventually), and I'm interested in (forgive me if I'm not using the proper terminology here) clarity, accuracy, and balance. Basically, I like to be able to hear everything going on in a song.

I currently have a Phase Technology Teatro 6.5 and two Phase Technology Teatro 4.5 speakers and want to add a set of floor speakers (and eventually a sub if needed), and there are a few for sale locally that have caught my eye. Here are my options (all vintage as far as I know):

NOTE: I'm currently only looking at used speakers at the moment...

Polk M5 - $70
pic 1
pic 2
pic 3

Klipsch KG4 - $100
pic 1
pic 2

Infinity Kappa Series ii with matching stands - $90
pic 1
pic 2

They all seem to get good reviews although I read somewhere that a lot of people feel Cerwin Vega speakers aren't that great, but I don't know how true that is. I'm leaning toward the Infinity but I have no rational reason for it so I was hoping maybe you guys with your knowledge and experience could help me figure out which of these might be best, assuming they're all in good working order.

Also, I have a Yamaha RX-V377 receiver. Will that be enough to handle the system I'm trying to put together? I'm on a tight budget so I'd like to make the receiver work, but am willing to upgrade it if need be.

Thanks a ton! :)

Last edited:
killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Basically, I like to be able to hear everything going on in a song.
By this sentence alone I'd say you're in a right place. So, welcome to the site.

I can almost feel the question coming so I might just ask myself; what is exactly a tight budget? It's not the same for everyone. Is the 200$ from your examples the upper limit?

Judging by this Audioholics review of your Yamaha receiver, you should have no problems there for now. Perhaps one thing only; you listed four bookshelf speakers you're using already and from your post it would seem you're planing to keep them and add two floor-standers and a sub. However, your receiver is 5.1.

You could consider going for two floor-standers for front left and right and ditch the front bookshelves, keep only the back two for surround. Plus a center speaker and a sub. (if you say music is your main interest, center speaker is probably the least needed)

If you want more channels, you'll most probably need a different receiver.

It's a good thing you're planing to invest in speakers. That is the right decision. It will be much easier for people here to help if they know your budget limits. Perhaps there's something else out there for you.

If these measurements have been done correctly, you're missing a decent portion of the music with those Phase Technology Teatro's.

"On-axis response of the Teatro 6.5 center measures +2.2/-4.2 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz. An average of axial and (+/-15 degree) horizontal responses measures +2.0/-3.8 dB from 200 Hz to 10 kHz. The -3dB point is at 104 Hz, and the -6dB point is at 83 Hz. Impedance reaches a minimum of 3.13 ohms at 295 Hz and a phase angle of -38.41 degrees at 136 Hz. Sensitivity averages 89 dB from 500 Hz to 2 kHz.—AJ"

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I didn't practice what I preach, but I have experience with using bookshelf speakers and towers from the same line with subwoofers. I didn't notice any big gains when I upgraded to floorstanders. You don't need towers with a decent sub (or 2). Another way to look at it is, you can get a better quality bookshelf for the same money that you allocate for towers.

And like KD said, a hard number for a budget would help.

M

MaximusGluteus

Audiophyte
By this sentence alone I'd say you're in a right place. So, welcome to the site.

I can almost feel the question coming so I might just ask myself; what is exactly a tight budget? It's not the same for everyone. Is the 200$ from your examples the upper limit?

Judging by this Audioholics review of your Yamaha receiver, you should have no problems there for now. Perhaps one thing only; you listed four bookshelf speakers you're using already and from your post it would seem you're planing to keep them and add two floor-standers and a sub. However, your receiver is 5.1.

You could consider going for two floor-standers for front left and right and ditch the front bookshelves, keep only the back two for surround. Plus a center speaker and a sub. (if you say music is your main interest, center speaker is probably the least needed)

If you want more channels, you'll most probably need a different receiver.

It's a good thing you're planing to invest in speakers. That is the right decision. It will be much easier for people here to help if they know your budget limits. Perhaps there's something else out there for you.

If these measurements have been done correctly, you're missing a decent portion of the music with those Phase Technology Teatro's.

"On-axis response of the Teatro 6.5 center measures +2.2/-4.2 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz. An average of axial and (+/-15 degree) horizontal responses measures +2.0/-3.8 dB from 200 Hz to 10 kHz. The -3dB point is at 104 Hz, and the -6dB point is at 83 Hz. Impedance reaches a minimum of 3.13 ohms at 295 Hz and a phase angle of -38.41 degrees at 136 Hz. Sensitivity averages 89 dB from 500 Hz to 2 kHz.—AJ"

Let me clarify my original post: I have ONE Teatro 6.5 and TWO Teatro 4.5's, so I'm looking at adding two more speakers to get me to 5 speakers total, and then a subwoofer later. I had planned on using the 6.5 as a center, although I don't know if that's a good idea or not.

Your are correct, $200 is the upper limit of what I'm willing to spend at the moment. I realize that won't get me anything earth-shattering, but that's ok for now.

As far as my Teatros go, I don't really know what those numbers mean. I'm guessing I'd be missing the low end, but I'm not sure what else.

I didn't practice what I preach, but I have experience with using bookshelf speakers and towers from the same line with subwoofers. I didn't notice any big gains when I upgraded to floorstanders. You don't need towers with a decent sub (or 2). Another way to look at it is, you can get a better quality bookshelf for the same money that you allocate for towers.

And like KD said, a hard number for a budget would help.
I was under the impression that floor towers were a lot better than bookshelves, but if that's not the case I can also look for bookshelves and a sub. I do have two old (from the late 80's/early 90's) Fisher bookshelf speakers from a shelf system, but from what I've read so far it seems Fisher never made very good speakers. Although maybe I should use those for now and just get a sub? I'm perfectly ok with spending less money. ;-)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Let me clarify my original post: I have ONE Teatro 6.5 and TWO Teatro 4.5's, so I'm looking at adding two more speakers to get me to 5 speakers total, and then a subwoofer later. I had planned on using the 6.5 as a center, although I don't know if that's a good idea or not.

Your are correct, $200 is the upper limit of what I'm willing to spend at the moment. I realize that won't get me anything earth-shattering, but that's ok for now.

As far as my Teatros go, I don't really know what those numbers mean. I'm guessing I'd be missing the low end, but I'm not sure what else.

I was under the impression that floor towers were a lot better than bookshelves, but if that's not the case I can also look for bookshelves and a sub. I do have two old (from the late 80's/early 90's) Fisher bookshelf speakers from a shelf system, but from what I've read so far it seems Fisher never made very good speakers. Although maybe I should use those for now and just get a sub? I'm perfectly ok with spending less money. ;-)
You could absolutely do that. Though I'd plan to upgrade speakers sometime in the near future.

I'm a firm believer that you can get pretty much the same sound quality out of bookshelf speakers as long as you have a decent subwoofer. You won't even miss the towers. And as far as towers being "better", that's purely subjective. I had an easier time integrating my bookshelves with my subs than I did with my towers.

One big point for me is the better quality you can get with bookshelf speakers for the same money. When I did get my towers, I bought from the same line of speakers and they were double the cost of the bookshelves. :confused: Some of the costs that go into extra drivers, cabinetry, more complicated crossovers, etc. can be diverted into better build quality, bracing and better quality drivers and crossovers for a bookshelf. I went with bookshelf speakers and a sub for many years.

Last edited:
ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
The KG-4 is a great vintage design. It was designed by well renown speaker designer Gary Gillum, who worked for Klipsch for a short time.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The KG-4 is a great vintage design. It was designed by well renown speaker designer Gary Gillum, who worked for Klipsch for a short time.
You know, I saw Klipsch and automatically thought of one of their Best Buy brands. The KG-4 is a whole different animal. You've been looking at speakers like that lately, right? I'd really like to have an opportunity to listen to a vintage set like that.

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
You know, I saw Klipsch and automatically thought of one of their Best Buy brands. The KG-4 is a whole different animal. You've been looking at speakers like that lately, right? I'd really like to have an opportunity to listen to a vintage set like that.
I actually have a pair waiting on me when I can get to my parent's house to pick them up. Mom doesn't use them.

This might be the most sold Hi-Fi speaker made during that era.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Those Polk "unknown" might be OK too. From that era, their stuff was pretty good, though I think it is the SDAs that you want.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai

Oh, I see, you're OK with spending less, eh?:) Saying you'd like to be able to hear everything going on in a song and ending with; perhaps I shouldn't buy anything and just add a sub is some distance to cross.;)

Anyway, now we know your receiver is not going to be a problem for some time. The one you have is pretty good and it is 5.1, which is what you're going after.

Towers vs. bookshelves is an open debate. We have advocates for both. Having said that, it still holds true that bookshelves usually cost less, so you could find a decent sounding pair for less money than towers.

That is one tight budget you have there. Two more important questions; where are you? Not all brands are available everywhere. And what are your music preferences? Not all speakers will handle everything equally.

I saw fewer 200$ subwoofers being recommended than the bookshelves. This might affect your decision.

We do, however, have an expert on budget speakers. It's this guy. I linked his threads as he often writes about budget speakers. But before that, check this recommendation he gave, this could be right there at the top for the money.

If things like this don't appeal to you, you're probably better off with second hand. You probably know all the shortcomings of second hand market so be sure it's in the neighborhood and you can listen to them or even better, get them at your place for a test run. It is always important where the speakers are being played and not only how good they are.

Boston Acoustics A26 get praised enough for the price.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
If $200 is your limit for the pair of speakers I would use your existing ones for your front LCR and get a pair of NHT superzero 2.1's for surround duty. A pair will run you $205 from Amazon. The Sony core bookshelfs that killdozzr linked have also been getting rave reviews.

M

MaximusGluteus

Audiophyte
Oh, I see, you're OK with spending less, eh?:) Saying you'd like to be able to hear everything going on in a song and ending with; perhaps I shouldn't buy anything and just add a sub is some distance to cross.;)

Anyway, now we know your receiver is not going to be a problem for some time. The one you have is pretty good and it is 5.1, which is what you're going after.

Towers vs. bookshelves is an open debate. We have advocates for both. Having said that, it still holds true that bookshelves usually cost less, so you could find a decent sounding pair for less money than towers.

That is one tight budget you have there. Two more important questions; where are you? Not all brands are available everywhere. And what are your music preferences? Not all speakers will handle everything equally.

I saw fewer 200$ subwoofers being recommended than the bookshelves. This might affect your decision.

We do, however, have an expert on budget speakers. It's this guy. I linked his threads as he often writes about budget speakers. But before that, check this recommendation he gave, this could be right there at the top for the money.

If things like this don't appeal to you, you're probably better off with second hand. You probably know all the shortcomings of second hand market so be sure it's in the neighborhood and you can listen to them or even better, get them at your place for a test run. It is always important where the speakers are being played and not only how good they are.

Boston Acoustics A26 get praised enough for the price.
I need to clarify further... I haven't been looking at new speakers, only used, and everything I've had my eye on so far has been vintage, like the Klipsch KG-4. I figured I could get better used speakers for $200 or less than I could new for that price. I'm perfectly ok with secondhand.

BTW, thanks so far for the recommendations, info, and verifying that my receiver will work! :)

I actually have a pair waiting on me when I can get to my parent's house to pick them up. Mom doesn't use them.

This might be the most sold Hi-Fi speaker made during that era.
I've been leaning heavily toward these. There are actually two pair for sale in my area, both for $100. I think I'll have to go give them a look and listen.

Those Polk "unknown" might be OK too. From that era, their stuff was pretty good, though I think it is the SDAs that you want.
Those ended up selling right away so they I'm guessing they were pretty decent. Oh well. :oops:

If $200 is your limit for the pair of speakers I would use your existing ones for your front LCR and get a pair of NHT superzero 2.1's for surround duty. A pair will run you $205 from Amazon. The Sony core bookshelfs that killdozzr linked have also been getting rave reviews.
I'll check those out, along with the Sonys. Thanks!

Yep, those are exactly the type of speakers I've been looking at. My parents have a set of vintage Sansui floor standers and a Sansui receiver that they bought brand new in the 70's and I've always loved the way they sound, although I do think they would benefit from a sub just to round out the low end.

Last edited:
killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I need to clarify further... I haven't been looking at new speakers, only used, and everything I've had my eye on so far has been vintage, like the Klipsch KG-4. I figured I could get better used speakers for $200 or less than I could new for that price. I'm perfectly ok with secondhand.
I admit, I wanted to see if there's something new for your money.:rolleyes:

Any news on that purchase? You do realise we do this for the pics, right?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
If OP is in US and not shy giving away his general area, I'm against doing a CL search for him. There could be some diamonds in rough ,ie speakers brands which op is not aware about.

M

MaximusGluteus

Audiophyte
I admit, I wanted to see if there's something new for your money.:rolleyes:

Any news on that purchase? You do realise we do this for the pics, right?
I do appreciate it! And who knows, I might end up going the new route in the end, although it's more likely I'll stick to second hand.

And I haven't made a purchase yet. There are two KG-4 sets on the local Facebook classifieds and neither seller will respond to my inquiries. Found another seller on Craigslist with a set of mint looking Klipsch KG-4 with Bob Crites titanium diaphragm upgrades but he wants around $300. I've also found a set of Ohm Walsh 2xo for $275 and a set of Magnepan MG2b for $275. Even though they're over my budget they all seem to be highly regarded so I'm considering them.

If OP is in US and not shy giving away his general area, I'm against doing a CL search for him. There could be some diamonds in rough ,ie speakers brands which op is not aware about.
I live in Appleton, WI. I've been looking for diamonds in the rough myself but it's taking A LOT of time since I know next to nothing about speakers, so I certainly won't complain about help! Thanks a ton! :)

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Wow, audio selection in your area isn't massive.
I did find few speakers which you may have missed:
https://appleton.craigslist.org/ele/d/2-jbl-tower-speakers-hls620/6301102632.html
and a matching center:
https://appleton.craigslist.org/ele/d/jbl-hls-center-channel-speaker/6263377813.html

Bonus finds:
https://appleton.craigslist.org/ele/d/jbl-subwoofer/6309692486.html
https://appleton.craigslist.org/ele/d/hsu-research-stf-2-powered/6292411438.html - I'd call Hsu and ask pricing for amp replacement. If you could get under $100, it would great sub for smaller rooms

M

MaximusGluteus

Audiophyte
Wow, audio selection in your area isn't massive.
I did find few speakers which you may have missed:
https://appleton.craigslist.org/ele/d/2-jbl-tower-speakers-hls620/6301102632.html
and a matching center:
https://appleton.craigslist.org/ele/d/jbl-hls-center-channel-speaker/6263377813.html

Bonus finds:
https://appleton.craigslist.org/ele/d/jbl-subwoofer/6309692486.html
https://appleton.craigslist.org/ele/d/hsu-research-stf-2-powered/6292411438.html - I'd call Hsu and ask pricing for amp replacement. If you could get under $100, it would great sub for smaller rooms
I saw the JBL towers and center and from my reading they seem to be very good. The only thing holding me back from the towers is the possibility of not being able to demo the first. I emailed the seller asking if I would be able to do so and I got no response, so I might just stop in to the store he has them at and ask them.

I suppose knowing the room the system will be in would help, too. My living room is 30' L x 12' W with laminate flooring, so there's a good bit of echo. I've been pondering the idea of acoustic treatment on the walls to try to mitigate that a bit, although I don't know if that would help enough to be worth it.

I actually found a sub from the same seller with the mint KG-4 set that I'm thinking might work well. It's an AV123 MFW15, and he's asking $200. Was thinking about offering $350-$400 for the KG-4's and the MFW15 since he's been sitting on both for a while.

I have to say though, I'm incredibly intrigued by the Magnepan MG2b set that I found on Varage Sale. I might have to go give them a listen.

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I saw the JBL towers and center and from my reading they seem to be very good. The only thing holding me back from the towers is the possibility of not being able to demo the first. I emailed the seller asking if I would be able to do so and I got no response, so I might just stop in to the store he has them at and ask them.
While they are not Magnepans, they will still be decent/nice -- and a serious good price -- I would go to the store.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Maggies are very, very good sounding speakers, as long as you sit in sweet spot.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis