I need to upgrade my Denon 2808 and need advice please

olddog

olddog

Audioholic
Hey all
I think my old Denon 2808 AVR is getting a little long of tooth
/ and am thinking of upgrading it.
I am looking not only for everything a AVR should do right but a SUPERIOR Audio performance.

What I don’t like about the Denon 2808
Not enough HDMI inputs
Not enough Optical inputs
Does not support new video or audio codices
Cannot run a second channel eq as it's audesay all or EQ all
Hard to get subs to run right and only one channel for both of my subs
Crazy ass bad AI and instructions

What I like about it
Output wattage 110W per channel-would like more
Separate second room input that I use to drive a dedicated 2 channel system on a separate amp
Burr Brown DAC's
Separate amps for each channel
Real good sound on audio

What I need to hook up
Plasma TV
Channel Master DVR+ (I am a cord cutter and am on OTA)
Amazon Fire TX Box
OPPO BDP83 with upgraded audio option(I use this for Video DVD and as a single disk CD player)
Sony CX355 CDP CD juke box-300 CD's and I was going to get a separate Schitt DAC but hope this AVR will have excellent (better than my current Bur Browns DAC's and save me an expense?
Carver M-1.0t MKII-Opt2 2 channel amp to a set of B&W 801's dedicated 2-channel music
Two Carver True Sub Sig's
Wharfdale towers, center, and, dipole rears.

Any help here would be GREAT!! I am not sold on any brand and my ears are open. Price I would like to keep below 1500.00 new or used but thay budget is flexiable to a small dregree.
Thanks in advance for your input.
James

B

bommai

Audioholic Intern
Look into denon x4300h. I just got it and it works great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Hi James,

Welcome to the forum.

Seems the Denon X4300H will meet all your needs and more. You can get it for $800 currently and one can't beat the price to features for that amount.

I don't think you'll need a separate DAC or amp in your dedicated listening setup since the X4300 supports a powered zone 2. It has pre-outs should you decide to add the DAC or amp later.

olddog

olddog

Audioholic
Thanks! I was hoping the new AVR would have a superior DAC and opts so I would not need a stand alone DAC?

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
To be clear, I'm not saying the Denon X4300 has Burr Brown DACs. You might need to shop for higher end Denon/Marantz/Yamaha or Anthem AVRs to get those.

I'm in the camp that believe DAC differences are inaudible, their implementation, perhaps less so. Modern AVRs above the $500 price point are more than good enough in this regard.

olddog

olddog

Audioholic
Thanks I looked it up and compared it to the Marantz 7011 and except for price and the Marantz HDAM technology they look the same. As it is a lot less expensive I wonder if the Marantz HDAM technology is worth it? Other than that it certainly looked like it would fit my needs and future proof my system. Anyone know what DAC's they are using? Could not find that info.
Thanks again

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I wouldn't put too much into the dac. Most receivers at this range are very competent and sound very good. The 4300H is a very nice receiver and if I were still shopping I'd buy one at its current price. You can worry about a dac later, though I highly doubt adding one would make any difference.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hi James,

Welcome to the forum.

Seems the Denon X4300H will meet all your needs and more. You can get it for $800 currently and one can't beat the price to features for that amount.

I don't think you'll need a separate DAC or amp in your dedicated listening setup since the X4300 supports a powered zone 2. It has pre-outs should you decide to add the DAC or amp later.
How on earth would you add a dac to the pre-outs? Pre-outs are analog, not digital. The amp is what you would add to pre-outs.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks I looked it up and compared it to the Marantz 7011 and except for price and the Marantz HDAM technology they look the same. As it is a lot less expensive I wonder if the Marantz HDAM technology is worth it? Other than that it certainly looked like it would fit my needs and future proof my system. Anyone know what DAC's they are using? Could not find that info.
Thanks again
I've gone with Denon a few times, they have AL24 in one and AL32 in the other. If a Marantz with HDAM magic would have been available with the right feature set and the time/price interesting to me, might have one now. Maybe @Pogre can comment on what HDAM has done for him (pretty sure his avr has it). Damn if that means anything tangible and suspect HDAM is of the same marketing ilk as AL24/32 far as any appreciable difference....but hey maybe you can hear a difference.

@PENG usually keeps track of specific dac chips employed and their spec ranking....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No reason one couldn't ADA the pre-outs. :D. People do that with Subwoofer pre- outs when using MiniDSP or other processor.

Thanks for catching my oversight. I assumed the X4300h had Optical or Coax outs.[/QUOTE]

Sure, there's a reason...it's not necessary.

What units have optical or coax outs?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I've gone with Denon a few times, they have AL24 in one and AL32 in the other. If a Marantz with HDAM magic would have been available with the right feature set and the time/price interesting to me, might have one now. Maybe @Pogre can comment on what HDAM has done for him (pretty sure his avr has it). Damn if that means anything tangible and suspect HDAM is of the same marketing ilk as AL24/32 far as any appreciable difference....but hey maybe you can hear a difference.

@PENG usually keeps track of specific dac chips employed and their spec ranking....
There was not a significant enough difference between it and any other I've heard to stand out or sound different. I think your suspicions are pretty on the money. I'd be equally happy with the 4300.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Sure, there's a reason...it's not necessary.

What units have optical or coax outs?
I said it (putting a DAC after pre-outs) could be done half jokingly. It makes no sense other than to EQ subs.

Probably find digital outs more readily in older receivers. Denon and Yamaha receivers used to have them for sure.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
No doubt about it. Get the Denon X4300. Normally it is $1,500, but it is on sale for $799 while supplies last.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I said it (putting a DAC after pre-outs) could be done half jokingly. It makes no sense other than to EQ subs.

Probably find digital outs more readily in older receivers. Denon and Yamaha receivers used to have them for sure.
Use smiley faces...hard to know when you say it straight faced like that, especially for the OP :) DRM I think has eliminated simple toslink/coax outputs for a while now.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks again
They Denon X4200W, X4300H, SR7010, SR7011 all have the same DAC, the 32 bit DSD capable AK4458.

http://www.akm.com/akm/en/aboutus/news/20150909AK4458DENON_001/

http://www.akm.com/akm/en/aboutus/news/20150917AK4458Marantz_001/

The AK4458 has better specs than the Burr Brown DAC in the Denon 2808, 3808 etc., though not by much and most likely won't make any audible difference.

To get the flag ship AKM DAC you would have to go up to the Denon X7200WA and Marantz AV8802A, both are due to be replaced soon.

I have owned both Denon and Marantz product, and can't really say one sounds better than the other.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis