C

cpd

Full Audioholic
Not sure if this is the correct location for this post but I have a glitch I am trying to work out. I recently replaced my receiver from a Denon AVR 2805 to a Denon AVR X3300. Obviously the old receiver did not have HDMI inputs or outputs so video from all sources went to my Panny Plasma (65" VT series - about 5 or years old) and audio went to the AVR.

When I replaced the receiver I also got a Fire TV (the box not the stick). I have a few other Fire TV's in the house and have no problems. Set up is HDMI from Fire TV to X3300 then HDMI from X3300 to Panny. My problem is that 95% of the time when I turn on the system to watch Fire TV or when I switch from another activity, I get a blank screen. In most instances if I press the Fire TV's home button on my remote the video will start working but not always. Sometimes I have to unplug the Fire TV to restart it. At all times, I can hear the audio of the cursor click as a move it around.

Any ideas? It's not problematic, just a little annoying right now. But if its the sign of something bigger to come with receiver or the streaming device then I want to address it now.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Not sure if this is the correct location for this post but I have a glitch I am trying to work out. I recently replaced my receiver from a Denon AVR 2805 to a Denon AVR X3300. Obviously the old receiver did not have HDMI inputs or outputs so video from all sources went to my Panny Plasma (65" VT series - about 5 or years old) and audio went to the AVR.

When I replaced the receiver I also got a Fire TV (the box not the stick). I have a few other Fire TV's in the house and have no problems. Set up is HDMI from Fire TV to X3300 then HDMI from X3300 to Panny. My problem is that 95% of the time when I turn on the system to watch Fire TV or when I switch from another activity, I get a blank screen. In most instances if I press the Fire TV's home button on my remote the video will start working but not always. Sometimes I have to unplug the Fire TV to restart it. At all times, I can hear the audio of the cursor click as a move it around.

Any ideas? It's not problematic, just a little annoying right now. But if its the sign of something bigger to come with receiver or the streaming device then I want to address it now.
Fire devices are evil, and I would never own any. They are known for HDMI problems. Basically they have hidden software to try and make the receiver default to the Fire input. Lots of reports of HDMI issues with Fire.

One thing I would do is make sure CEC is turned off on your receiver.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have that issue sometimes as well. I think part of it is the "always on" aspect of the device, so I started unplugging it when I wasn't using it and that seemed to prevent any issues with it, though lately I have been leaving it on again.

Turn off CEC in the receiver AND the FireTV.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Turn off cec on fire box, way to many issues with it. I never have any problems as long as I put the fire box to sleep when not in use. If I forget to, say overnight, sometimes I have to restart it.

C

cpd

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the advice. I will turn off CEC tonight and see if that works. Perhaps I should check my Harmony program and see if it is putting the Fire TV to sleep as well when I turn off the TV or switch inputs?

I have used a lot of streaming devices, and this HDMI issue aside, I actually like the Fire TV a lot better than the other products I've used (including Apple TV). So I hope I can get it figured out.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
"Sleep" does not mean "off" it is more of a "stand-by" mode, but the unit will continue to run and check for updates, etc... like many devices these days. I do like this unit too and it is also the best streamer I've used of them as well. I found my 2 Rokus (which the Apple TV is based on) to be much less capable.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
I have 2 boxes, one is 4k, love them. The layout is very user friendly, and i like that i can sideload apps without having to jailbreak it. Wish it did have a way to power off though. I have a stick and I hate it, runs real slow and drops WiFi.

C

cpd

Full Audioholic
I have two boxes and a stick. No problems with the other box or the stick dropping wifi - although it is close to my router.

CEC was already set to off on both the box and the AVR so that wasn't the issue. My Panny has something called Viera Link with similar functionality to turn on "HDAVI Control." I turned that off, and so far so good. No blank screen in the 15 minutes I've been playing with it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis