Speakers for computer room

3rdeye

Junior Audioholic
Since my basement home theater project is a ways down the road, I was interested in some nice speakers to play music through my PC. Nothing special at all is happening in this room. No mini home theater setup at all. Just some nice speakers for listening to music.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Since my basement home theater project is a ways down the road, I was interested in some nice speakers to play music through my PC. Nothing special at all is happening in this room. No mini home theater setup at all. Just some nice speakers for listening to music.

Budget?

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Active speakers I assume? Try the JBL LSR305.
I heard these, and liked the Audioengine 5+ better. I felt the 5+ is easier to listen to in the near field on a computer desk. (Which is *not* an optimal placement for any speaker.) Also, the 5+ has a subwoofer output and a remote volume control. In combination with an SVS SB1000 it makes for very nice sound from top to bottom for less than $1K.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Since these aren't anything major, I'll just say $300

That's the sweet spot to snag those JBLs from post #2

If you have a local Guitar Center, it may be worth going there to have a look and listen for whatever they may have in stock. They usually stock JBL monitors.

EDIT: Actually, GC has a pretty good price on the white JBL 305 right now.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/JBL/LSR305-WH-5-Powered-Studio-Monitor-Limited-Edition-White.gc

3rdeye

Junior Audioholic
I heard these, and liked the Audioengine 5+ better. I felt the 5+ is easier to listen to in the near field on a computer desk. (Which is *not* an optimal placement for any speaker.) Also, the 5+ has a subwoofer output and a remote volume control. In combination with an SVS SB1000 it makes for very nice sound from top to bottom for less than $1K.
I've always placed my speakers on the computer desk. But keep in mind all I've ever had is cheaper speakers from Best Buy or Walmart. Where is the best place to put computer speakers?

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

What does active mean? Sorry for the novice question.

It means the speakers have built-in amplifiers.

What is neutral sound? And what's an alternative to that?

Neutral, as in things sound natural. If all you’ve ever had is cheap speakers, you’ll hear the difference immediately.

Where is the best place to put computer speakers?

On the desk to the left and right of your monitor.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
On the desk to the left and right of your monitor.
Exactly right. And the problem is that it puts a big flat hard surface right in front of the speakers, which is not good for sound quality. Still, on each side of the monitor is where they need to be, especially if you watch videos.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Exactly right. And the problem is that it puts a big flat hard surface right in front of the speakers, which is not good for sound quality.
Can’t say it’s ever bothered me.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've always placed my speakers on the computer desk. But keep in mind all I've ever had is cheaper speakers from Best Buy or Walmart. Where is the best place to put computer speakers?

I'd still put them on the desk but probably slightly tilted up to my ears or on short stands.....if I had a desk these days, done with that stuff!

3rdeye

Junior Audioholic
I'd still put them on the desk but probably slightly tilted up to my ears or on short stands.....if I had a desk these days, done with that stuff!
What do you do now? Not use a PC anymore and just use tablets or laptops?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What do you do now? Not use a PC anymore and just use tablets or laptops?

I'm retired. Use a laptop on a tilting tray table on my couch to simultaneously enjoy my main system for the most part...sometimes just a phone.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
What is neutral sound? And what's an alternative to that?

This was already answered, natural sound, so everything should sound as it was when recorded. They are accurate speakers and some use them for home studio.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Check recommended speakers on noaudiophile.com

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That's the sweet spot to snag those JBLs from post #2

If you have a local Guitar Center, it may be worth going there to have a look and listen for whatever they may have in stock. They usually stock JBL monitors.

EDIT: Actually, GC has a pretty good price on the white JBL 305 right now.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/JBL/LSR305-WH-5-Powered-Studio-Monitor-Limited-Edition-White.gc
That's pretty tempting. Not that it would matter much for a desktop setup, but looks like the deal is for white only.

I would (am going to) insist on using a small stand and tilt as HD suggested.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis