Got this thing for free

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I got an Audiobahn AW1508t for free today. Now what? Ported box, sealed? What do you think? I've got 1550 watts I can push through it. I'll try it, who knows could be pretty awesome.

Anyone feel like modeling this thing for me?

https://imageshack.com/i/iqiVxGy7p

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
if that QTS is accurate, then this driver is a good candidate for ported.

If you put it in a 3.8 cu ft (internal volume) box with a (this cannot be part of the internal volume) 17" x 2" x 49.5" long slot port (fold it into a few sections to get that length and include 3/4" roundovers), it will handle 500W above 17hz with minimal vent noise and full utilization of the excursion.. I would recommend somehow adding a high pass filter (2nd order @ 13hz is fine) just for driver protection during some movies, however, as below tuning vented boxes will lose control over driver motion. As a nominal 2 ohm load, you will want a prosound amplifier which can handle the load. Crossed at 80hz:

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks bud. I don't know what I'll do with this thing. It's a heavy beast for sure. My room is pretty limited on floor real estate so a 3.8 cu ft box would be cumbersome. Unless I figured out a way to hide it under the riser.

Anyone have any ideas?

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks bud. I don't know what I'll do with this thing. It's a heavy beast for sure. My room is pretty limited on floor real estate so a 3.8 cu ft box would be cumbersome. Unless I figured out a way to hide it under the riser.

Anyone have any ideas?
Well, you could make it sealed (anywhere between 1 cu ft and 2 cu ft will be fine) but if you want anything resembling bass extension, you will need to implement a linkwitz transform filter before the amplifier.

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
Look at your amp options before getting too busy... 2-ohm amps can be expensive.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
That's a DVC driver, if my Google skills are to be trusted. It should present a drivable load for a 4 ohm stable amp with the coils jumpered in series.

Here you go pantera. Maple-veneered 2 cu. ft cabinet on clearance. All the cabinet needs are holes and an amp. It even comes with feet and a magnetic grill, although you might need to shim the front baffle screws out a bit with washers before the grill will stay attached over that driver's bulky surround. Anyway, your driver in this box should have a Q around 0.5 and a reasonably shallow rolloff that should be pretty easy to overcome with room gain and either a miniDSP, a Behringer DCX2496, or some other sort of bass management. If you've got 1550 watts to push through it, you ought to be able to EQ it pretty much any way you want and still have plenty of overhead for good SPL.

If you wanted to do vented as in Granteed's original suggestion, you could always just make the cabinet taller to keep the footprint as small as you need. It doesn't have to be a cube. Using 3/4" MDF, a box having external dimensions 18.5"w X 31.5"h X 18.5"d with the slot vent turned in a zig-zag for three lengths would just about do it, if my math is correct. (The port length would be 45" instead of Granteed's recommended 49.5, but the tuning would only be raised by 0.8Hz -- not enough to notice, I don't think.)

But if I were doing vented, I think two 2" tube ports, each 9" long, in an 18"x25.75"x18" box, would be easier. That should give roughly the same tuning, and WinISD claims it should result in a vent mach of 0.01.

Either way, congrats on scoring a really nice driver for free!

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
That's a DVC driver, if my Google skills are to be trusted. It should present a drivable load for a 4 ohm stable amp with the coils jumpered in series.

Here you go pantera. Maple-veneered 2 cu. ft cabinet on clearance. All the cabinet needs are holes and an amp. It even comes with feet and a magnetic grill, although you might need to shim the front baffle screws out a bit with washers before the grill will stay attached over that driver's bulky surround. Anyway, your driver in this box should have a Q around 0.5 and a reasonably shallow rolloff that should be pretty easy to overcome with room gain and either a miniDSP, a Behringer DCX2496, or some other sort of bass management. If you've got 1550 watts to push through it, you ought to be able to EQ it pretty much any way you want and still have plenty of overhead for good SPL.

If you wanted to do vented as in Granteed's original suggestion, you could always just make the cabinet taller to keep the footprint as small as you need. It doesn't have to be a cube. Using 3/4" MDF, a box having external dimensions 18.5"w X 31.5"h X 18.5"d with the slot vent turned in a zig-zag for three lengths would just about do it, if my math is correct. (The port length would be 45" instead of Granteed's recommended 49.5, but the tuning would only be raised by 0.8Hz -- not enough to notice, I don't think.)

But if I were doing vented, I think two 2" tube ports, each 9" long, in an 18"x25.75"x18" box, would be easier. That should give roughly the same tuning, and WinISD claims it should result in a vent mach of 0.01.

Either way, congrats on scoring a really nice driver for free!
Thanks for all the replies. I already have my two infinity 12's that are working very well. I was thinking of using this in conjunction with them.

I have a large riser at the back of the room I could make into the box for this thing. I could pretty much use any dimensions I want if I do that. It is roughly 6'Lx6'Wx2'H (one section, it is a two piece riser). I could remove the front and build the cabinet inside it for an interesting effect.

Or, I could just use this in my living room since I don't have a sub there yet.

Lots of options.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
That riser would be a nice enclosure for a Phoenix Gold Cyclone. Just be sure to cross it over low-pass at 40Hz or lower if you ever find one. :)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I got an Audiobahn AW1508t for free today. Now what? Ported box, sealed? What do you think? I've got 1550 watts I can push through it. I'll try it, who knows could be pretty awesome.

Anyone feel like modeling this thing for me?

https://imageshack.com/i/iqiVxGy7p
That is a difficult driver and no longer available, which does not surprise me.

I have worked with it for over an hour.

It is a car driver and not really suitable for home use.

At first glance it seems optimal for vented alignment, but first looks here are deceiving.

First this is a high Fs woofer for a sub. This driver will not be known for the lows.

It turns out the overall bass output is pretty much a wash whether ported or sealed, although the ported F3 is 48 Hz as against 69 for sealed.

You will get lower bass with a sealed alignment and Eq.

In car cab gain would make this a fair sealed sub driver and cab gain would negate the need for Eq.

I aligned this with the voice coils in series. This will sacrifice 3 db of sensitivity.

Vented, the port length is very long. To use the full 2000 watt spec would require a port with an unrealistic length of 5 ft!

Now this driver does get limited by cone excursion.

If this driver were to be used for home audio, a cabinet volume of 2.4 cu.ft is optimal. It should be Eq at 12 db per octave at 70 Hz and a high pass second order filter used at 35 Hz.

In this mode, even with a powerful amp only 98 db spl would be achievable below 40 Hz.

As a home sub driver, I don't consider it worth the trouble. For a car driver it would probably work quite well and bass would be nice and tight.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I'm bringing this back. I've got a different room now so I'm wondering what I can do with this thing (assuming @Pogre does't want it for his son's car).

I've got 4 infinity 12" drivers now so I don't "need" this so much as just want to see what it can do. I played around for awhile in WinISD and it looks like I can do a vented box and get some decent SPL with around 600w so I don't hit any excursion limits. Anything more than that and I'd probably break it. This is modeling at 4 ohm. This was for a 5 cu ft vented enclosure with a 2 ft long port.

Not sure I'm doing it right, but it looks pretty good after adding high pass at 14hz could keep everything in line.

Thoughts?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
We haven't talked about it for quite a while. If you want to do something with it, he probably won't be doing anything with car stereo for a while. Thanks for remembering though!

*Edit: I'd like to see if something might be feasible. That'd be fun to watch.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
This is definitely interesting. I tried finding out more info on an old car audio sub I have in the attic. And Image Dynamics IDMAX 12d4 v2 (I believe it is v2. It's about 15 years old at this point), which I absolutely loved in my last car audio system.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I've been playing around in WinISD and I found that per the recommendation above this sub can do a decent job when ported.

However, at 500w if I keep it in room with my 4 infinity 12" drivers their supposed SPL somewhat overlaps the 15" Audiobahn.

I'm not sure this driver would help my theater. I will use it somewhere else and since it is dual 2 ohm VC I can get a 500w amp for it pretty easily.

I think my plan to replace two of the Infinity 1260w with two of these is a better plan.

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Not sure yet. Still playing around in WinISD. What I found online is that around 4 cu ft sealed the SIs can take about 1200w or so before over-excursion.

I've done some more with the Audiobahn and it looks like in a 2 cu ft sealed box and 525w it's curve will be very close to my current infinity. I'm thinking of putting it under my riser right behind the MLP and using two of the 1262w (DVC version of 1260w) in the front of the room.

I would love to have 4 subs, but I need another 1260w for an office sub. Then I'll have one left for my game room or something.

Then when funds allow, I'll grab some SI subs and go to town. Nothing is set, just getting ideas at this point.

annunaki

annunaki

This is definitely interesting. I tried finding out more info on an old car audio sub I have in the attic. And Image Dynamics IDMAX 12d4 v2 (I believe it is v2. It's about 15 years old at this point), which I absolutely loved in my last car audio system.
I believe that sub would do well in home if my memory serves correct. I believe I have modeled that one in the past with some success.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I believe that sub would do well in home if my memory serves correct. I believe I have modeled that one in the past with some success.
I played around a bit more and in a 2 cu ft (yup) box it will take the 525w I have to give it and be capable of 15hz at 95db (supposedly) and 100db 20hz and up. Shouldn't get to the excursion limit with this config.

The plan is to place it behind the MLP under the riser. That should work pretty well.

annunaki

annunaki

I played around a bit more and in a 2 cu ft (yup) box it will take the 525w I have to give it and be capable of 15hz at 95db (supposedly) and 100db 20hz and up. Shouldn't get to the excursion limit with this config.

The plan is to place it behind the MLP under the riser. That should work pretty well.
Sorry my man, I meant the IDMAX. :(

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis