klipsch r 14m for desktop speakers?

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
They'd work well for that purpose. They have a good response down to 70hz. If you can spend a bit more and get the r-15m they have much better extension, 50hz in room, meaning for 75% of music, a sub wouldn't be necessary

Sent from my 5065N using Tapatalk

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
My question is how well does the sound integrate at a near-field distance. Not every bookshelf speaker works well for the near-field, believe me. I would give them a try, and if they do not sound right in that application, return them.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
They'd work well at that price, as compared to other at the same price level. You get what you pay for, my ears couldn't take those when my cousin had them. I would save up more and look elsewhere.

B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
brought them home, few minutes listening so far.
hooked them up to old sony -k790 htib with its sub.

before these i was using klipsch rp160s and they were awesome, but too big for desktop use.

starting to believe im one of those particular people who love the bright klipsch sound.
these are fun to listen to, not boring like some warmer speakers i used to have.

if i turn it up too much though they do get shrill and ear piercing, unlike the klipsch rp160s

if the r15s go on sale within a month im returning these

B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
well that was fast i may skip this line

i like my music very loud and these tweeters are a bit much especially playing trance electronic type music and rock. ill push the speakers back some and see what happens.

the sound is sort of empty and cheap or hollow if that makes sense. maybe i need to get a real amp. this htib amp works but its not a stereo receiver

i want those jbl 230s but not for $300

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Speaker should be elevated off of the desktop to sound their best. Desktop reflections can create some severe peaks that can make the speakers sound harsh. Find a way to get these, or any other speakers you use, off the desktop surface. Look at desktop speaker stands. If you look at how professional sound engineers have their speakers placed, they are never sitting right on a desktop or mixing console.

B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
im not on a tight budget, just want the best value for less than $300 for computer desktop speakers. i just dont like the idea spending $300 for desktop speakers.

ive been switching between pioneer sb22s and these klipsch r-14s.

bass is superior on the sb22s, but i like the klipsch tweeter.

im returning the klipsch tomorrow and waiting for the klipsch r-15 to go on sale for $150 or less hopefully. ill get the same tweeter sound and approx the same bass as the pioneers.

for my desktop the two speakers i really want is the jbl 230 or the affordable accuracy monitors from dennis.

but its $50 to ship the aams so the value goes down there. plus i read they are rolled off at the top, i like bright speakers.

i do have klipsch rp160s im selling, but i already have a setup of rp280s and 450center in my bedroom. i want some variety.

im just going to be patient and wait for the jbl 230s to go on sale. ive always wanted those.

B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
Not as good as the JBL 230 and easier on the ears compared to the Klipsch R-14M
JBL Arena B17
https://www.amazon.com/JBL-Arena-B17-Black-Bookshelf/dp/B072MYY7KD/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502064891&sr=8-1&keywords=jbl+b17
hm those look good. 7 inch woofer? looks like the bass is comparable to the bs22s

when you say not as good as the jbl 230s what do you mean? they have a larger woofer than the 230s. do they have the same tweeter sound? i admit ive been watching youtube videos on the jbl 230s to compare

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Are you using your computer as a source?
If so, you should check these out (probably available at your local pro-audio store such as Guitar Center).

https://www.amazon.com/JBL-Studio-Monitor-Interfaces-Laptops/dp/B00JFN3KLY/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1502475504&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=jbl+lsr305+pair

They are $300, but that also resolves any concerns about amplification issues - since JBL/Harman Audio designed the amps and speakers, they will work well together and the horn uses trickle down technology from their M2 monitors. While the LSR305 are not TOTL speakers, they are designed for the recording studio, and have a well deserved reputation. I heard these in a good sized room (converted 2 car garage) and they are versatile enough to work fine as mains (though I suspect you could readily find their limits in such a large room if you like to crank it).

The Philharmonic AA monitors are exceptional speakers; however, Dennis does not recommend them for near field. I suspect his new mini-monitors are one of the best desktop options available, but they run ~$650 and you'd probably want to budget for a better amp to go with them.

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
hm those look good. 7 inch woofer? looks like the bass is comparable to the bs22s

when you say not as good as the jbl 230s what do you mean? they have a larger woofer than the 230s. do they have the same tweeter sound? i admit ive been watching youtube videos on the jbl 230s to compare
The B17 do have a 7 inch woofer, and the bass is better with higher spl over the Pioneer BS-22 -- with some nice/decent bass punch -- and they do have some good off axis response -- and are one of the better options out there at their current price -- and they will not be as aggressive as the entry level Klipsch. Now as far as the JBL 230 -- the 230 has better quality drivers and higher resolution, however you have to pay more for that -- Now as far as YouTube video, that is best for gleaning information as you really cannot judge sound from Youtube -- and the sound from YouTube will not be better than the speakers in your room that you are listening to. The best way to judge the true sound of the speaker is in your room live.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The B17 do have a 7 inch woofer, and the bass is better with higher spl over the Pioneer BS-22 -- with some nice/decent bass punch -- and they do have some good off axis response -- and are one of the better options out there at their current price -- and they will not be as aggressive as they entry level Klipsch. Now as far as the JBL 230 -- the 230 has better quality drivers and higher resolution, however you have to pay more for that -- Now as far as YouTube video, that is best for gleaning information as you really cannot judge sound from Youtube -- and the sound from YouTube will not be better than the speakers in your room that you are listening to. The best way to judge the true sound of the speaker is in your room live.
A species that has members who use youtube videos to judge and compare the sound of speakers is doomed.

B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
im just going to get the desktop speakers i always wanted and wait for the jbl 230s to go on sale

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I never knew (or really thought about how something so small sounded so good) what I was listening to, but my biggest surprise for desktop, or near field speakers has been full rangers with a sub under the desk. That has really been the only "how is this possible?" I have had in the last two decades with newer trends.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
My boom box at work just died after 8 years from a recent (and now gone) coworker jamming nickelback and the likes full blast to where I could hear it out in the front parking lot.

Anyway, against my better judgement of hanging around with (I am sure my mom warned me about this) audioholics, there's a pair of LSR305's on the way. The reason I ordered these instead of DIY is,

1: I dig JBL products and always have.

2: The 305's are active so I don't need a receiver and everyone at work, including myself, has Pandora etc. on their phones and I don't have to hear that Fuscillo Kia guy that I really want noogie on his forehead for his too many stupid ads.

3: Can't really listen too loud at work because the office is 20 ft. from my bench or I would have gotten the 308s.

4: The waveguides from my Tempests have impressed me with how they manage to disappear and turn my whole house into a speaker. If I focus on the TV, I'd swear the sound is coming out of the screen. If I focus on the subwoofer, it could all be coming from there, or the sofa, or even a fly on the wall. I am curious to see how JBL's work.

5: The poster who mentioned the LSR305s. . . . well, I can just blame him. How much more justification does a $300 poorer boatman need?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
My boom box at work just died after 8 years from a recent (and now gone) coworker jamming nickelback and the likes full blast to where I could hear it out in the front parking lot.

Anyway, against my better judgement of hanging around with (I am sure my mom warned me about this) audioholics, there's a pair of LSR305's on the way. The reason I ordered these instead of DIY is,

1: I dig JBL products and always have.

2: The 305's are active so I don't need a receiver and everyone at work, including myself, has Pandora etc. on their phones and I don't have to hear that Fuscillo Kia guy that I really want noogie on his forehead for his too many stupid ads.

3: Can't really listen too loud at work because the office is 20 ft. from my bench or I would have gotten the 308s.

4: The waveguides from my Tempests have impressed me with how they manage to disappear and turn my whole house into a speaker. If I focus on the TV, I'd swear the sound is coming out of the screen. If I focus on the subwoofer, it could all be coming from there, or the sofa, or even a fly on the wall. I am curious to see how JBL's work.

5: The poster who mentioned the LSR305s. . . . well, I can just blame him. How much more justification does a $300 poorer boatman need?
Surprised to see you didn't just make some speakers. You seem to enjoy the DIY process. Lots of neat little speakers designs out there that you can run off of a small, cheap 15 watt amp.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis