Questions about PSA V15

F

Foxrox

Junior Audioholic
I was almost completely sold on a Hsu, but then I realized the shipping, warranty and return policies basically bring it on par with a few other comparable subs. It's not a dis, just a reality. So I looked around a bit more continuing my research and I've now kinda got my eye on the V15. The down-firing sub is attractive to me for a few reasons, namely placement options and small children and pets around. So now I've got a few questions that I haven't been able to find decent answers to. Hopefully, the audioholics can help me.

1.) Anyone with experience with Hsu VTF-3 MK5 HP and the V15, is there a noticeable difference in performance? My research leads me to believe (loosely) that the Hsu is probably a hair better/louder/deeper/flatter, but I'm not sure I could differentiate. The best sub I've ever owned personally is a Polk PSW505.

2.) Does PSA ever have sales/promotions? I've seen a few people claim to have gotten the V15 for a bit less than the list price of $949. That would be nice. How often does that happen?

3.) Are there any other high quality down-firing subs at this price point? It seems all the other <1k subs that get raved about are front-firing.

4.) Am I barking up the wrong tree with down-firing? I'm still quite open to front-firing if someone can give me a good reason. My research leads me to believe it does not make much difference, that perhaps the "feel" of the bass might be slightly different. Once again, I'm not sure I could differentiate.

5.) I'm amazed I haven't been able to find the answer to this, but is the 725 watt rating of the V15 for peak or RMS? This seems like a major detail. If that is peak, then the RMS will likely be quite low in comparison to the other subs at this price point. If it is RMS, then it's one of the most powerful. I know power isn't all that matters, but it must matter some. I'm a bit put off that they aren't more specific about this on the website.

One thing I'd rather not see is a re-hashing of the PSA fake-graph controversy. I've read it all and it has not swayed me one way or the other. There seems to be a consensus they make quality subs, regardless of the way they present their measurements.

Follow-up question for others with similar setups: My room is 15' 6" X 30' X 9' (4185 cubic feet), in a concrete basement, and sealed aside from a very small sealed hallway at the back corner. Is one of these subs going to serve me well? I am open to other sub options as long as the total is around $1k. My plan for now is to start with one and possibly add another down the road if I am unsatisfied.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for your advice!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I just used the little pop up box while viewing the 15V and PSA says it is continuous/rms, peak around 1900 w

F

Foxrox

Junior Audioholic
Ah thanks! I do nearly all of my browsing on my phone, on which those mouse-over pop-ups are glitchy at best, but rarely work at all. That explains that.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
As to down firing I'd consider it more a preference, with some slight differences, and personally no need due no children/pets to worry about but with a decent grill on it should alleviate concerns (SVS used to offer a metal grill?).

SVS has down firing options via their ported columns but think their largest is the 13". Can't think of who else offers them, tho. I like the column subs from these guys http://bossobass.com/Bossobass.com/Home.html

You might contact the sub companies and see what options they may have in this regard, tho. Then there's always DIY :)

F

Foxrox

Junior Audioholic
Wow those Bossobass units look amazing, but I can't justify that kind of cash when I can probably shake my house apart with one of these 1k units. I'm sure SVS is excellent, but their larger units are a bit high-priced as well. There doesn't seem to be a value that can match Hsu, PSA, or a couple others. I am not interested in DIY. I have little enough time as it is, and that sounds like even more research, which I am about sick of. I get obsessive over purchases like this, but I have my limits.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
2.) Does PSA ever have sales/promotions? I've seen a few people claim to have gotten the V15 for a bit less than the list price of $949. That would be nice. How often does that happen?
I just asked Tom V. via the PSA LiveChat option if he had any outlet deals on the 15V. Here is his response:

We have one v1500 heading into the outlet tomorrow. $999. And we have two Xv15se at $699 each

nothing for the 15V that I can think of
Here is Josh Ricci's 2012 review of the XV15 (the XV15se is an upgraded version of the same sub, with a slightly better driver, IIRC). The outlet XV15se seems like a pretty good option, I don't think you'll find that much sub for $700 anywhere else, but you should ask PSA about the availability of a second XV15se down the road when you have the funds (as well as the history of the one he has in the outlet).
http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=system&id=88

If you are considering PSA, don't hesitate to contact Tom V. (who is the designer/owner of PSA) via LiveChat or phone. He can give you specific info, will not push, and may have some useful ideas if you tell him your situation what you are looking for.

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
Those two XV15se that @KEW posted are a great deal! If you could swing both that would be best.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
As to down firing I'd consider it more a preference, with some slight differences, and personally no need due no children/pets to worry about but with a decent grill on it should alleviate concerns (SVS used to offer a metal grill?).

SVS has down firing options via their ported columns but think their largest is the 13". Can't think of who else offers them, tho. I like the column subs from these guys http://bossobass.com/Bossobass.com/Home.html

You might contact the sub companies and see what options they may have in this regard, tho. Then there's always DIY :)
Dude... just had to post those, didn't you? I want. :p

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
They really are. I'd get 4 of them and put them around my living room like end tables. Those are some of the coolest subs I've seen.
Dave (bossobass on a few forums) does good work...

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
Love Bossobass...

On an aside like the fact that the Raptor (Bossobass) have outboard amps. Honestly, at a certain price and performance level that's what I'd prefer, but most only have onboard plate amp options.

F

Foxrox

Junior Audioholic
Well I went ahead and bought a V15, despite a limited amount of info and reviews being available. It came in today. First impressions are mixed. It's my first ever decent quality sub, so I guess I'm not sure what it's supposed to sound like.

I set it up and listened to some tunes (mostly Bassnectar) in a 2.1 setup with my new Polk LSiM703s and Denon X4300H in the exact same position as I was testing previously with my cheapo deepo Polk PSW505. It is admittedly a poor and unrefined test, just quickly thrown together in my huge open-floor main level room. Nothing close to the sealed rectangular basement room (being finished now) that my HT will be in.

What the sub did not do was vibrate my house and blow my mind as I had hoped. I cranked it up a bit, but not too far as I've read that's unwise on a brand new speaker. It was actually not as loud as my Polk at most frequencies. Maybe I'm just accustomed to poor, boomy base and out of control resonances, but it definitely did not give me goosebumps like I was expecting.

What it did do was stay much more true to the actual pitch of the music, especially at lower frequencies. I think I have a decent ear for pitch, and it's always bothered me when my cheap subs try and fail to reach the low notes. There was certainly no problem with pitch that I could hear. It also was much cleaner sounding overall. I was hearing effects that were either muffled, hidden, or just missing from the Polk.

Obviously I cannot draw any educated conclusions from this 20 minute test (had to go back to work). I'm still optimistic, but I am a little bit tentative about the output. I don't want to be wishing for more bass!

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Well I went ahead and bought a V15, despite a limited amount of info and reviews being available. It came in today. First impressions are mixed. It's my first ever decent quality sub, so I guess I'm not sure what it's supposed to sound like.

I set it up and listened to some tunes (mostly Bassnectar) in a 2.1 setup with my new Polk LSiM703s and Denon X4300H in the exact same position as I was testing previously with my cheapo deepo Polk PSW505. It is admittedly a poor and unrefined test, just quickly thrown together in my huge open-floor main level room. Nothing close to the sealed rectangular basement room (being finished now) that my HT will be in.

What the sub did not do was vibrate my house and blow my mind as I had hoped. I cranked it up a bit, but not too far as I've read that's unwise on a brand new speaker. It was actually not as loud as my Polk at most frequencies. Maybe I'm just accustomed to poor, boomy base and out of control resonances, but it definitely did not give me goosebumps like I was expecting.

What it did do was stay much more true to the actual pitch of the music, especially at lower frequencies. I think I have a decent ear for pitch, and it's always bothered me when my cheap subs try and fail to reach the low notes. There was certainly no problem with pitch that I could hear. It also was much cleaner sounding overall. I was hearing effects that were either muffled, hidden, or just missing from the Polk.

Obviously I cannot draw any educated conclusions from this 20 minute test (had to go back to work). I'm still optimistic, but I am a little bit tentative about the output. I don't want to be wishing for more bass!
I told you to go HSU!

I'm kidding :)...the PSA is a great sub, I do think your large basement room will have some dead spots or (localization issues for music) with only one sub unless you can dial in the perfect location.

To your issues now...I wouldn't worry about it...once you get it set up with room EQ on the Denon...(and tick it up a few or two from their requested setting ;)) you will get that rumble you're looking for.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Did you also recalibrate via Audyssey when changing out the sub?

F

Foxrox

Junior Audioholic
I'm sure the Hsu is great. Based on all of my research, I'd guess it would be a marginally better choice for an experienced audiophile. But I probably couldn't tell a difference. The down-firing configuration was my deciding factor. With young kids and dogs and potential placement restrictions (WAF), it was the logical choice. I am pleased with the look. They are all just big black boxes, but the V15 is a handsome black box with a luxurious but subtle finish and it feels exceedingly sturdy.

To the room EQ questions - no, I haven't even messed with it yet. I just wanted to hear my speakers to make sure they weren't DOA, but I certainly plan to run Audyssey and optimize the system to my taste once I get everything set up in the basement.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Maybe I'm just accustomed to poor, boomy base and out of control resonances, but it definitely did not give me goosebumps like I was expecting.
I suspect this might be case. I once helped a local guy who posted that his new Reaction Audio sub seemed to be malfunctioning.
He had upgraded from a 10" Onkyo sub to a 18" Reaction Audio sub.
I had brought my audition disc and listened to it and his system sounded well balanced to me!
He was expecting the boom of the Onkyo to be that much stronger from the larger driver.
I started calling his attention to how much detail in the bass could be heard and he agreed that he had not experienced that before (the one-note boom boxes put out lots of low frequency energy, but it muddies and obscures the adjacent frequencies).

I have no way to know this is your case, but perhaps the description resonates with you.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis