panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Honestly Samsung is just trying to evolve lcd and it's supposed to be good, but oled is where it's at regardless of what you think of LG. Samsung could make oled TV's if they wanted to. Not really sure why they aren't.

We are in the fun point of the where the smartest thing to do is wait and see.

B

Beatmatcher247

Full Audioholic
HDR, HDR10, HDR10 Plus, Advanced HDR, UHD, UHD Premium, 4K, OLED, QLED...
Anyone else confused ?

I would like to compare apples-apples but for now it looks like we have the whole fruit basket again here this year.

I think I will wait a bit yet and see if we can find some conformity. o_O

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
HDR, HDR10, HDR10 Plus, Advanced HDR, UHD, UHD Premium, 4K, OLED, QLED...
Anyone else confused ?

I would like to compare apples-apples but for now it looks like we have the whole fruit basket again here this year.

I think I will wait a bit yet and see if we can find some conformity. o_O
Pretty much. There is too much up in the air right now. Who knows what the final decision will be on formats.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Pretty much. There is too much up in the air right now. Who knows what the final decision will be on formats.
I'm curious IF there will ever be a final 'decision'.
It seems anymore they are all just updated formats, bringing LCDs black levels darker and darker, and producing more colors. Ive read that a standard lcd display (no uhd or hdr) is only capable of producing 30% of colors that the human eye can see. The issue isn't 1080p vs 4k resolution, it's LCDs ability to recreate color that is the disadvantage.

If I waited to buy a new tv, I'd never buy one. Tech is changing soo fast these days, the tv I bought less than a year ago is arguably already outdated, it seems that will stand from this point on.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I'm curious IF there will ever be a final 'decision'.
It seems anymore they are all just updated formats, bringing LCDs black levels darker and darker, and producing more colors. Ive read that a standard lcd display (no uhd or hdr) is only capable of producing 30% of colors that the human eye can see. The issue isn't 1080p vs 4k resolution, it's LCDs ability to recreate color that is the disadvantage.

If I waited to buy a new tv, I'd never buy one. Tech is changing soo fast these days, the tv I bought less than a year ago is arguably already outdated, it seems that will stand from this point on.
While tech is always being updated, 1080p and hdmi 1.3 were the standard for a long time until 3d came along. Even then, that was really the only add for hdmi 1.4. Sure, that version supported 4k30, but none of the new color stuff we're seeing. People that bought 4k sets that are limited to hdmi 1.4 are screwed.

HDMI 2.0 is going to be the standard for a while until 2.1 comes out. Even then, nothing much if anything will support the 2.1 features for a while.

As for LCD ability to produce color, I don't know enough about that. I've actually never heard that before.

I do wonder if hdmi 2.0 to 2.1 can be enabled via firmware. If it can, then the move from 2.0 to 2.1 means even less for those buying TVs today. I don't think all the features of 2.1 will make it into TVs. Even if they do, we'd have to get new players, game consoles would have to be updated, etc.

You never know though.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis