How does this forum think about objectivity in audio?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't know if he said you are susceptible to the placebo effect, but I will.
If you are human, you are subject to the placebo effect.
You may think you are as repeatable as measurement instrumentation, but our human perceptions are influenced by mood, energy level, harmones, anticipation, expectation, and so forth.
To believe otherwise is the epitome of naivety!
Harmones....is that something from Harman Kardon? Or a combo of hormones and harmony? :) Sorry, couldn't resist :p

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.

It is not about having links, it is about having the equipment and being able to compare and see it for myself.
Unless of course you have no idea how to properly compare the two components in question. Doesn't seem as you do. Nor have an idea what has been said about amps or any other component comparison.

If you like the processing power of your component, what more is there? Enjoy it.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
It would be interesting to let you hear the difference and ask your opinion. My speakers are no slouch, Bowers and Wilkins 802 D3 and it's remarkable how much they improve the clarity of the sound while still keeping the integrity.
I wouldn't drive the 802 D3 with such a digital amp, that's just my opinion, subjective or not.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
And you know this how exactly? You seem to be a pro at measuring with two different weights. You're not giving any counter argument whatsoever, and instead you are trying to insult me?
I don't see any insult so far. Pogre is simply stating the fact that your point seemed to be objectivity, but whether you or others prefer the sound quality of your amp or theirs could well be a subjective thing.

I have an idea, send Pogre your amp and let him plot some graphs with REW to compare RP and Audyssey XT32 for us to see. I am sure RP is better than Audyssey MultEQ, or XT, just not quite sure if it can clearly beat XT32, the latest YPAO, Dirac etc. it probably is better than all of those, but we don't know, as there are no "objective" data available yet.

As for Class D (actually your amp seems to be digital all the way..) vs class A, AB analog amps, they both have strength and weaknesses. It is not conclusive as to whether the best of one is better than the other. You can't even compare them just by the typical specs found on their websites, due to their different nature.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Hey guys,

I'm an avid lurker of this board, and usually I am a fan of the unbiased opinion. However I was very surprised when I read this thread:
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/stereo-amplifier-for-dali-opticon-6.106450/

I read there that based on specs alone some users apparently think the Lyngdorf amplifier would not sound very different from a home theater receiver? This seemed to me very odd, as an amp with such an elaborate DSP can't realistically sound similar to any other setup.

Is this really how some of you think? That specs tell the story and the rest is subjective bias? Or am I interpreting the thought process behind this wrong? To me it feels like negative bias, where people are "too" convinced there is bias making them ignore obvious differences.
The amplifiers probably sound the same, but the DSP isn't really part of an amplifier. It may be IN the same chassis, but as far as amplification, it's not part of that. It shapes the sound for the purposes the designers intended. That said, the Steinway Lyngdorf system I heard at CEDIA was stunning and probably the best I have ever heard in my life, which includes almost 40 years in the audio business.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis