Ever Made Mississippi Pot Roast?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I was skeptical, but those folks up there know how to eat. I have been dating a woman from there on/off for about 18 years. Now she lives in NJ but they are Philly all the way. I visit up there 4-5 times/yr and every time I come back my clothes are snug. Lots of Italianism going on there and everything she makes is pretty fantastic.

Anyway, they have changed my view on what works outside of what I know, or thought I knew.

On holidays, she typically handles the savory things and I do the baking. I usually dream up improvised meals from the leftovers the following days where I get to do some things my way and bring a bit of the south, north.
I've seen plenty of the Food Network visits to Philly restaurants, and many look awesome, but still I mostly lust after a killer cheesesteak sandwich (which I once got to do as a kid when visiting, and have had some truly horrible representations of them in other cities since).

The meatball thing reminds me of a neighbor of ours used to make Swedish meatballs with a grape jelly sauce, which I thought at the time was just a made up name but found out later was an actual thing.... but no browning suggested in this recipe :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So do I. One time I got real sick and had a fever for like 10 days. This Jamaican friend of mine brought me over some jerk chicken soup and 3 bites in and I was sweating and sinuses were wide open. I swear by that sh!t. I was back at work the next day like I had never been sick. Damn Scotch bonnet peppers nuked that stuff I had.
Scotch Bonnets are pretty much habaneros as far as heat level. they do not play around.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ever brave enough to try a ghost pepper? That's beyond my comfort zone, the habanero/scotch bonnet range is a bit more than I usually do; I'm happy with jalapeno and serranos I keep on hand all the time.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Ever brave enough to try a ghost pepper? That's beyond my comfort zone, the habanero/scotch bonnet range is a bit more than I usually do; I'm happy with jalapeno and serranos I keep on hand all the time.
Oh hell naw! I like spicy, but I also like being able to taste my food! I can handle some heat, but I'm not a chili pepper challenge guy at all. On the rare occasions I've used habanero, 1 single chili is more than enough for an entire dish.

I used to love watching those and laugh at the reactions. I don't feel bad for him either. He knew what he was signing up for!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
So do I. One time I got real sick and had a fever for like 10 days. This Jamaican friend of mine brought me over some jerk chicken soup and 3 bites in and I was sweating and sinuses were wide open. I swear by that sh!t. I was back at work the next day like I had never been sick. Damn Scotch bonnet peppers nuked that stuff I had.
I got a great Jerk marinade at the store and it is actually from Jamaica so it's pretty rad. I usually grill chicken after marinade it. Then baste more marinade on the chicken as it cooks. Big mistake with this stuff. I love spicy and this was tough to eat. Delicious, but man was I sweating when I was done.

I have since learned to just baste while cooking and have been much happier. Sinus remain clear.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Got up very early this morning and warmed up the grill. Browned ~6lbs. of chuck roast. Then, put in my slow cooker along with the Mississippi Pot Roast Ingredients. Man, I must say it smells incredible. However, it will NOT be done until 6 PM my time. Been cooking since 10 AM. This time I used Chuck Roast instead of Shoulder Roast. Needless to say I am getting hungry now! :):):):)

Cheers,

Phil

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Got up very early this morning and warmed up the grill. Browned ~6lbs. of chuck roast. Then, put in my slow cooker along with the Mississippi Pot Roast Ingredients. Man, I must say it smells incredible. However, it will NOT be done until 6 PM my time. Been cooking since 10 AM. This time I used Chuck Roast instead of Shoulder Roast. Needless to say I am getting hungry now! :):):):)

Cheers,

Phil
I prefer chuck over shoulder clods. It has a little more fat and the muscles aren't worked as hard close to the ribcage compared to shoulder and pec muscles which support most of the weight when they walk around.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I prefer chuck over shoulder clods. It has a little more fat and the muscles aren't worked as hard close to the ribcage compared to shoulder and pec muscles which support most of the weight when they walk around.
It is almost done.....LOL!!!! Been waiting all day and oh my does it ever smell so good! Like always I usually share what I have w/my neighbors. Bought some cup cakes and doughnuts yesterday and merely gave them all away. I also agree that Chuck Roast tastes better than Shoulder Roast. Guess, due to having more fat....LOL!!!! :p:p:p

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Well, I can easily confirm that the Chuck Roast does tastes a lot better than the Shoulder Roast. Last time I used a bit too much black pepper. As such, I decided not to add any at all. Tastes so much better that way. The seasoning is so perfect I did not need to add any salt either. Everything is balanced well. Just absolutely delicious!

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Well, my above statement is very true with one caveat. That is, I used a bit too many peppers this past go around. Although I did not use any black pepper, the roast was just too spicy for my tastes. Had heartburn all day/night. The Purple pill can only do so much. Suffice it to say, the next time I will use much less of the peppers. Might even just use banana peppers instead. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis