slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Going to see Dunkirk tomorrow at the Alamo Drafthouse Ritz in 70mm. One of if not the only theater in my area that can play it the way it was filmed.

Got a balcony. Very excited.
Nice setup there!

For many years, the Ritz was a dive-bar. Pool tables, a few pinball machines, general riff-raff clientele. My kind of place! Of course, this was after the original theater and before the Alamo took it over. The original Alamo was right around 4th and Colorado back then. They had a pretty decent setup there too, but not as nice or big as the Ritz.

As far as I know, Alamo Drafthouse was very innovative for this type of setup back then.

B

Blue Dude

Audioholic
70mm or Imax 70mm? Sadly, I've discovered they're not the same thing at all. Dunkirk is especially problematic since it's being released in a number of different formats.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
70mm or Imax 70mm? Sadly, I've discovered they're not the same thing at all. Dunkirk is especially problematic since it's being released in a number of different formats.
Also, as AH regulars are already aware, but for new comers it's worth repeating, not every Imax is 70mm Imax.
Look for FakeMax or Imax Digital to see how imax decided to call both systems just Imax to cheat consumers by providing inferior experience at full price of real Imax

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It is showing here in the bay area on the IMAX dome...might want to check it out there. There is a theater here just a few blocks from work though.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
My wife and I will wait until it comes out on BD. We find it much better to watch here than any cinema. Cinema audio is far inferior to here.

We have just watched the BBC three part series on Dunkirk on BritBox. It is a combination of acting and original footage. All of it based on original documents and accounts. It was very good.

BritBox, is the new US subscription service of the BBC and ITV. It started around Easter.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Haven't seen it yet but some of those that have said they did not give the French the credit they deserved.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Balcony was sweet. I haven't seen a movie on real film in some time so it was nice. They did a great job with the medium. I wish I could have seen it in imax 70mm but they are too far away. Third sound system was decent. QSC amps and processing and JBL monitors. They had smaller monitors in the balcony that had great range from what I could tell. I do agree that home systems sound better, but I can't replicate the picture. Move was good. A departure from typical Nolan films. I liked it, but there was pretty much zero character development, but I liked that in the sense that it wasn't a war move but a survival movie. In that sense it was good.

SPOILER: They maybe didn't give enough french presence, but in the end one of the British officers stayed behind to "wait for the french."

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
We saw Dunkirk over the weekend.

Overall, I liked it. I will watch anything Christopher Nolan directs.

But I felt a bit letdown and underwhelmed with the story. It's not a movie I want to watch again, unlike The Dark Knight Trilogy, Inception, or Interstellar. :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Didn't get a chance to see it. That day my car had an issue, then her car had a flat, then the spare had a flat...was a long day.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I didn't get to watch it either. I'll just wait for the BD :)

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
I'm going to wait for the BD as well. Watching at home is awesome. I think the next movie that will actually get me to the theater will be to see Luc Besson's "Valerian".

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think it's worth checking out on BD or rental.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I saw the movie a few days ago. I was pleasantly surprised by what was achieved through non-linear narration. I think this time there's real purpose to this type of narration.

I guess most of you saw their share of war documentaries and interviews. One thing that connects most of the experiences of the survivors is torment and sometimes even shame for their acts.

Most of those veterans say they never stop dreaming about the moment they failed to help a fellow fighter. It never stops haunting them, the thought that perhaps they could have done more, perhaps they could have saved at least one more. What if they went back and checked that basement one more time? What if they arrived 5 minutes earlier, maybe that hospital wouldn't get bombed...? What if acted differently. The guilt, the regret.

And the never ending shame if they acted selfishly and saved themselves and didn't manage to gather enough strength and bravery to help others.

Non-linear narration is nothing new and many may say it's getting a bit old. However, in Dunkirk the viewer is offered the entire causality through this non-linearity. He gets to see what happens, what would happen and what happens next, he gets to see how little he could have done. How single person's efforts simply get blown by the immensity of chaos of war.

This is really liberating for the soul. I hope, no matter how old they may be today, I hope at least few veterans of Dunkirk got a chance to see this movie.

I think this is a far more successful war movie than most, precisely for this reason. It is in fact concerned with an unknown "little man" who witnessed it all and it is not trying to disperse the horrors of war, but it could disperse the nightmares that come after.

(I didn't want to end with such pathos, pardon me)

Mitchibo

Mitchibo

Audioholic
I saw Dunkirk this past weekend too. If you know the history the narration isn't needed. The visuals are very nice. The flying scenes were great because they used real spitfires and a real Henkel 111. The Stukas were CGI and wisely, they gave very little visual deference to them.

If you like history then see it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis