Issue with Marantz PM7200

G

Ganesh K.L

Audiophyte
Hi,

I just bought a used Marantz PM 7200 with Studio Monitor 55 speakers. I have connected the speakers to speaker 1 outputs. The amp is powering on and I am able to select the inputs as well. I am not getting any signal on the speakers. How do I check if the amp is functioning. I don't have a CD input to test. I was trying to test with the Aux1/2 using my ipod.

Kindly support.

Regards

Ganesh

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Were they working when you bought them? Hopefully you tested used gear before buying....

If both speakers aren't working, or making any noise whatsoever I'd think the amp is faulty, as both speakers are unlikely to be completely dead....you don't have other speakers to use to rule that out?

I couldn't tell you how to test the electronic part.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
There are a lot of possibilities with that one. Make sure the "main in" (may say processor) connection is connected. Should be a little jumper on the top left of the rear. No jumper = no sound. On the front, set to one of the AUX inputs and ALSO select speaker A or B depending on output you've selected. I had a PM7000 and 7200. Nice integrated amps.

G

Ganesh K.L

Audiophyte
Hi Garcia,
Thanks for your response.

The processor in out jumpers are in place and I have connected the the speakers to system 1 and have selected the speaker A switch in the front panel. I am using a AV cable to connect my ipod on Aux 1. When I power the amp I get a click sound as if a relay is energised and then I don't even hear a hum on the speakers. I will arrange for a proper cd player with Av out and check again. Any other possibilities.
I have kept the source knob at off position and have not selected class A and source direct options.

G

Ganesh K.L

Audiophyte
Hi lovinthehd
I was told that the amp was in perfect condition as I bought from a know source. The speakers are new. Even if I don't connect any output should I get some response in the speakers. The amp is powering on. I checked only that as I didn't have any speakers at the location of purchase.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It didn't really sound much better with Class A on to my ears, maybe just a >hair< warmer for the same SPL. I was never disappointed with the way it sounded. Just be sure to only turn that on/off while the unit is off.

The REQ knob I don't recall what it should be set to, but I believe it was off normally. I'd try switching it too, to see if setting it to source works. Try the inputs other than AUX as well, as any of those analogs should work.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hi lovinthehd
I was told that the amp was in perfect condition as I bought from a know source. The speakers are new. Even if I don't connect any output should I get some response in the speakers. The amp is powering on. I checked only that as I didn't have any speakers at the location of purchase.
Hopefully it is just something you're not setting up correctly or a different source will do the trick, but no ideas beyond what @j_garcia is suggesting...but hopefully if you need to return it and get a refund, you can...

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi lovinthehd
It seems you are doing everything right. You should at least hear a faint hiss from the speakers with an ear right over the tweeter.

I have a strong suspicion this amp does not work, and you have been sold a dud.

Get a reliable input source. Make sure you see if you can hear from the headphone jack also.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I would try and connect RCA cable in on the CD input, same channel you have the speaker, set it on low and tap the center pin on the end of that cable see if you get a buzz.
Not sure what the level output is on that ipod.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Is your iPod set to output iTunes to your integrated amp? That's to say, you do know to turn the volume all the way up on the iPod, right?

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis