Are You An Audiophile? Ha! Not according to this article...

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Are you an Audiophile? I would think most regular visitors to the AH would qualify according to most common measures and ideas. I ran across an article this morning and if you take their 10 question test, it will show you how much of an Audiophile you might be. I think just based on the first 4 questions, most of you reading this post don't qualify for true Audiophile status at all. (me included)

ARE YOU AN AUDIOPHILE This link will get you to the article. You need to select the 10 question test to get to the real meat of the article.

1st Question: Do you own a pair of headphones costing more than $200 bucks (No?. You're a loser)
2nd Question: Do you subscribe to Tidal? (its where the high quality sound is.)
3rd Question: Do you believe expensive cables make a difference? (of course they do)
4th Question: Do you still buy vinyl (because vinyl sounds better than digital)
6th Question: Do you care more about audio quality than the music you listen to ?
8th Question: Do you know what "slew rate" is? (If you don't, you are a newb)

MY FAVORITE QUOTE: In the Answer to question 3, Do expensive cables make a difference?
Let’s get one thing clear – scientifically speaking, the cable quality does make a difference to the sound of your speakers. The speaker, receiver/amplifier, and cable create an electrical circuit, so using a cable with higher quality components will affect the resistance and capacitance of the circuit and change the output accordingly.

If you disagree: you're just not audiophile material my friends.
Excuse me for a few minutes, I need to go get some brain bleach and see if I can scrub this article out of my mind.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
MY FAVORITE QUOTE: In the Answer to question 3, Do expensive cables make a difference?
Let’s get one thing clear – scientifically speaking, the cable quality does make a difference to the sound of your speakers. The speaker, receiver/amplifier, and cable create an electrical circuit, so using a cable with higher quality components will affect the resistance and capacitance of the circuit and change the output accordingly.
Even more amusing the rest of this quote:
The catch? The difference is negligible. Which means it requires a highly-trained ear to notice the change in sound. If you can hear the difference, there is a good chance you’re an audiophile.
but, still keep in mind this:
"Let’s get one thing clear – scientifically speaking" if you use 30 AWG cable for 50 ft speakers cable run - you sound will suck. It's not about quality components, but using right type of cable and you'll be alright.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I almost made a comment, then read some of the other comments. I don't wanna roll around in that pig slop.

macey

macey

Enthusiast
I wonder is the vinyl comment actually relevant to many people

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I almost made a comment, then read some of the other comments. I don't wanna roll around in that pig slop.
They actually use a video clip of Gene & Hugo to justify their position that Vinyl sounds better than digital.
I'm not sure at all that Gene & Hugo would agree with that.

The posture of the article is pretty high minded: if you don't do these things: you just aren't cut from the right cloth.

I scored a 0. That qualifies me to be "An Audio Philistine". I shall wear that badge proudly

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
LOL I missed the comments altogether. At least some of their readers got it right; I doubt I'll bother with this site again if this is representative of their handle on technology....

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
I think the Author should get his head out of his Butt, and become a member here so he could learn the facts, before his spews out that bullsh*t. The problem is a lot of decent folks will read that crap and believe it as gospel.:confused:

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Are you an Audiophile? I would think most regular visitors to the AH would qualify according to most common measures and ideas. I ran across an article this morning and if you take their 10 question test, it will show you how much of an Audiophile you might be. I think just based on the first 4 questions, most of you reading this post don't qualify for true Audiophile status at all. (me included)

ARE YOU AN AUDIOPHILE This link will get you to the article. You need to select the 10 question test to get to the real meat of the article.

1st Question: Do you own a pair of headphones costing more than $200 bucks (No?. You're a loser)
3rd Question: Do you believe expensive cables make a difference? (of course they do)
6th Question: Do you care more about audio quality than the music you listen to ?

Excuse me for a few minutes, I need to go get some brain bleach and see if I can scrub this article out of my mind.
Question 1. No, but I did have a pair of AKG K702s at one point. The headphone industry like to churn out colored "audiophile' headphones. I want accurate sound, which can be found in less expensive studio headphones or IEMs.

2. Nope, I can't reliably guess between FLAC and 192kbps Vorbis using an ABX test, Spotify offers 320kbps vorbis, which is more than a high enough bitrate. Why would I pay double just to get something I can't hear? Tidal also has awful music discovery, Spotify is great for that.

3. Nope. The only thing a cable does is pass an electrical signal from one device to another. So long as it does this without picking up interference or causing transmission loss, that's all you need.

4. Why would I buy an outdated audio storage format that wears down over time? Digital audio captures the exact signal that is recorded with insane accuracy, had an incredibly low noise floor, and it never wears out with repeated plays.

5. That depends. A really poor recording can make an album impossible to enjoy, but it's got to be really bad. Much of the music I listen to is Black Metal, and some of the recordings are lower budget, but so long as its reasonably high quality, I can manage. Likewise, high quality speakers have ruined my ability to listen to crappy speakers. I just can't bear to listen to cheap Bluetooth speakers, laptop speakers, or TV speakers.

6. An overused term that means nothing unless you're a bat. Even the cheapest modern solid state amps have a good enough slew rate to reproduce far above our hearing range.

Sent from my 5065N using Tapatalk

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
Too much emphasis on the price of items and not enough on the sonics in that quiz. An "audiophile" is someone who likes to listen to music on a sound system whose performance he or she enjoys. That has nothing to do with price, and everything to do with performance. The two are not the same, just like price does not equal value.

The only other thing I would add is there is no such thing as an "audiophile speaker" or ~amplifier or ~power cord, or ... well you get the idea. Audiophiles are people, not components or accessories.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

#6 is the reason I hate audiophiles.

Whoever wrote this is wrong- we need to invite them to AH so we can verbally beat them about the head and neck.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
4. Why would I buy an outdated audio storage format that wears down over time? Digital audio captures the exact signal that is recorded with insane accuracy, had an incredibly low noise floor, and it never wears out with repeated plays. Sent from my 5065N using Tapatalk
OK, but vinyl, if recorded well, can produce the harmonics that exceed the upper limit of a recording made using the 44.1K sampling rate and that does matter. The filtering at that frequency is steep enough that it can cause harshness due to phase shift and it's the reason for over-sampling and when the harmonics from some instruments are missing and compared with a recording that contains them, it's noticeable.

Disclaimer- these comments in no way mean that I'm a die-hard vinyl hipster and go around telling people that no digital format is the end-all, be-all. All rights reserved, prices and specifications subject to change without notice, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, results of this survey may not be typical, may cause weight gain, blindness, lethargy, runny nose, irritability, constipation and sleepwalking. All comments made by a non-paid spokesman.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
OK, but vinyl, if recorded well, can produce the harmonics that exceed the upper limit of a recording made using the 44.1K sampling rate and that does matter. The filtering at that frequency is steep enough that it can cause harshness due to phase shift and it's the reason for over-sampling and when the harmonics from some instruments are missing and compared with a recording that contains them, it's noticeable.

Disclaimer- these comments in no way mean that I'm a die-hard vinyl hipster and go around telling people that no digital format is the end-all, be-all. All rights reserved, prices and specifications subject to change without notice, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, results of this survey may not be typical, may cause weight gain, blindness, lethargy, runny nose, irritability, constipation and sleepwalking. All comments made by a non-paid spokesman.
whoaaaaa, you sound like an 'audiophile', do you hate yourself ? ....... LOL !

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hells no I'm not an audiophile, and I don't have golden ears either. :D

I'm just an Audio/Video/Computer/Home Theater enthusiast. ;)

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
several questions are somewhat 'shaded' ..... #3 for example, expensive can be defined differently for different folks. Do I believe quality makes a difference , of course it does.......but it doesn't have to be expensive !

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Hells no I'm not an audiophile, and I don't have golden ears either. :D

I'm just an Audio/Video/Computer/Home Theater enthusiast. ;)
I am an Audio Philistine according to the article. I love a good Biblical reference. Everyone knows of course, the Philistines are where Philharmonic Audio started so the author got that wrong too.:D

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Not surprising to see some of the fundamental tenets of audiophile religion codified in the article, as we are firmly in the realm defined by the vacuous ethics of consumerism. Too much lead in the water?

Audiophilia: Happy fun shopping time, yay! Just leave your brain on the credenza, but be sure to bring your wallet!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I just got back from Buck's house a little while ago and I didn't see 1 expensive cable. pft. :p

Thanks for opening your door to me Buck! I had a lot of fun and your system sounds amazing. I was especially impressed with the nearfield sub firing into the back of the chair. I always thought there would be localization issues with that placement, but not at all.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My definition of an "audiophile":

1. A person who is enthusiastic about audio and loves to talk about audio
2. Cannot love or recommend Bose, HTIB, and the likes (poor speaker measurements) :D
3. Can terminate his own speaker cables
4. Can hook up his own basic system
5. Member of an audio forum (AH, AVS, etc)

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I just got back from Buck's house a little while ago and I didn't see 1 expensive cable. pft. :p

Thanks for opening your door to me Buck! I had a lot of fun and your system sounds amazing. I was especially impressed with the nearfield sub firing into the back of the chair. I always thought there would be localization issues with that placement, but not at all.
I just got back from Pogre's house where we auditioned the beautifully done system he has assembled there. I think I can say with some conviction that we don't meet anyone's definition of audiophile but our own! We are music enthusiasts and proud owners of cool equipment. Not one expensive cable in either household.

Pogre was gracious enough to open his home to an audition of the system he has assembled and its an amazing experience to be able to listen to someone elses efforts and contrast them with your own. For those who have seen his system, its visually stunning. Pogre should post some pictures here for those who haven't seen it. It would be hard to overstate the visual impact of his twin HSU 15" subs. As hulking as they are to look at, they are perfectly tuned and adjusted to listen to.

It was an audio pleasure to demo a few tunes on someone elses system as they have labored to make it work for them. His SVS speakers do a fantastic job with being neutral and presenting every inch of music that's in a song. I really enjoyed the day today. Thanks Pogre !

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis