The Truth vs Hype about Expensive HDMI Cables

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Did he really say that? I didn't read all his nonsense; creates a migraine.
So, a cable is able to modify the digital signal without any added parts in that cable, no upconversion?
WOW, that is real magic indeed. Who needs 4K or 8K when a cable can do that for much less? Give them a Nobel.

ps. if it only "looks like" due to imagination, I guess I don't need to upgrade to 4K or 8K, I can already see it with a standard HDMI cable. Yes, I have unlimited imagination. I can also hear Atmos without the necessary gear and software. LOL
I have heard and read so many BS statements that it's all like water off of a duck's back. I stopped paying attention to what cable manufacturers say unless it's data- my suppliers generally don't sell the stuff that comes with a story and a sack of magic beans.

I have seen some great displays, though- when you can stand a few feet from a 65" TV and not see coarse grain, it's a good thing. Normal grade cables, no stories, no special sauce.

highfigh

highfigh

Really? 32 megapixels? WOW, good thing I was holding off for that 4K. ;)
Maybe should wait for even more?
I feel bad for those who dropped big money for 3d- part of the risk being on the bleeding edge.

B

Blue Dude

Audioholic
Troll level: expert.

He joins Saturday, necroposts with unbelievably ignorant audiophool drivel about high end HDMI cables improving his video black level, posts only in this one thread, and everyone bites. Oh, and high end ethernet cables improve picture quality. C'mon guys.

C

Conrad_

Audiophyte
Does cable quality matter when it comes to HDR support? I have an Optoma UHD60 projector connected to an Onkyo RZ810 AV receiver with a 25ft passive high speed HDMI cable. An NVidia Shield streaming box is also connected to the AVR with a shorter 5 foot cable. All cables are connected to the HDCP 2.2 HDMI ports and the Shield is set up to display 4K/60Hz 4:2:0 10bit color space. I have no issues getting an artifact free 4K picture. However I cannot get HDR to kick in on Netflix or Amazon Prime apps on the Shield, both of which support HDR. I'm assuming HDR uses more bandwidth, so am wondering if the apps are falling back to the non HDR 4K signal if it detects that the HDMI cable cannot handle it. If so, I assume upgrading to an active HDMI cable will fix my issue.

highfigh

highfigh

These cable arguments make me wish I had gone to my last high school reunion- in Freshman Algebra, I sat next to a guy who has worked for NASA for decades and is undoubtedly the most intelligent person I know, especially when it comes to STEM topics. The school wouldn't let him test out of that class, so he muddled through, putting up with it, even though it was a total waste of his time. When he was finally allowed to take their tests, they sheepishly said "We're sorry, we have nothing for you here", even though one of the teachers had written over 20 books on various areas of Mathematics.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Does cable quality matter when it comes to HDR support? I have an Optoma UHD60 projector connected to an Onkyo RZ810 AV receiver with a 25ft passive high speed HDMI cable. An NVidia Shield streaming box is also connected to the AVR with a shorter 5 foot cable. All cables are connected to the HDCP 2.2 HDMI ports and the Shield is set up to display 4K/60Hz 4:2:0 10bit color space. I have no issues getting an artifact free 4K picture. However I cannot get HDR to kick in on Netflix or Amazon Prime apps on the Shield, both of which support HDR. I'm assuming HDR uses more bandwidth, so am wondering if the apps are falling back to the non HDR 4K signal if it detects that the HDMI cable cannot handle it. If so, I assume upgrading to an active HDMI cable will fix my issue.
You just need a cable that supports the new standards. Most any should work, but the length can come into play if it is a low end cable. Monoprice makes very nice cables for the money.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
An active cable? Are we talking about batteries here..?
The redmere cables apparently pull voltage from the source. I've read that can be harmful so I've got one that I've never used.

highfigh

highfigh

The Redmere use this to maintain the connection from the source end to the display end. The current is very low, so it's unlikely that it will damage anything. HDMI has enough problems on its own without adding to them.

If your question about batteries is directed toward AudioQuest, note that those aren't really 'active'. The LED uses the voltage, but the wire isn't used for anything that can help the signal and is in no way connected to the signal path.

B

Blue Dude

Audioholic
HDMI ports are supposed to have a low current power pin that could run the transmitter chip, but implementation is sketchy at best. Some active solutions have a USB power dongle instead of trying to rely on the HDMI power pin. And I ended up buying a HDMI power insert plug for one active cable that wasn't getting what it needed from the port.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis