Setting up Dolby Atmos

N

Nadeeja

Audiophyte
Hi guys;
I'm building a new home theater system and already ordered Orb 5.1 HT and Yamaha RX-V581. As this receiver supports Dolby atmos I'm planning to add that to my HT also. So what do you guys think is best?
Ceiling mounted 2 more Orb satalites
vs
Upward firing Dolby Atmos pair?
Which will give the best Dolby atmos experience?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
If you can go to the ceiling I would recommend that. Upfiring modules have been met with a lot of criticism and I am not a believer in them personally.

A

Audioctor

Audioholic Intern
You may consider the SVS Prime Elevation Speakers. http://hdgear.highdefdigest.com/45760/svs_prime_elevation_speaker_review.html
http://www.techhive.com/article/3137409/consumer-electronics/svs-prime-elevation-speaker-review-an-incredibly-versatile-audio-solution-for-the-home-theater.html
I have ordered a pair of these for myself for the same purpose. In-ceilings are not possible in my room and I am not convinced regarding Atmos-enabled speakers. So I am giving these a try.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hi guys;
I'm building a new home theater system and already ordered Orb 5.1 HT and Yamaha RX-V581. As this receiver supports Dolby atmos I'm planning to add that to my HT also. So what do you guys think is best?
vs
I've been to demos with a Klipsch system with upfiring atmos speakers and a system with ceiling mounted atmos speakers. Obviously the demos were set up to sell product. Both were effective.

The systems were playing different movies with different equipment so I can't give you an apples to apples comparison...but, logically speaking I think trying to reproduce immersive sound from overhead is best done from speakers overhead vs speakers at ear level firing up and sound reflecting off the ceiling back towards the listener.

IMO it really depends on the ceiling access...if you have it, go ceiling.

Last edited:
J

Joel González

Audioholic Intern
Hi guys;
vs

Well I can´t help you with the brands you posted but I do own a dolby atmos system (onkyo hts7800) with the fake ceiling speakers come some considerations you should take, like how far is the ceiling? how far is the viewer from the speaker? the material of the ceiling? If your ceiling is equal or it has an angle? I personally havent found them really good to fake an in celling speaker, so I´m planning to put a real celling ones. Hope it helps you

N

Nadeeja

Audiophyte
Thanks guys for replies.
I will go with the ceiling method.

D

DubPlate

Audioholic Intern
Based on what I have read, you don't need ceiling mounted speakers per se for atmos, all you need are 7 speakers. Therefore a 5.1 system plus front heights (i.e, mounted on front wall), or simple a 7.1 system, without any heights, will activate the atmos listening mode on the receiver. Atmos, from my experience, is as much about horizontal presence and movement at it is about the vertical.

Front heights, may be enough to present a convincing sense of movement and presence in the vertical plane, with the added benefit of negating a ceiling run. The remaining 5 speakers can handle the horizontal.

I have had the klipch 280FAs for a while, but only recently hooked up the built in atmos enabled modules. My ceiling is flat and smooth, with 5.6 feet between atmos speaker and the ceiling. Apparently Dolby suggest a minimum of 6 feet of vertical clearance.

My initial experience watching the Mechanic was better than I had expected. I actually ducked down inadvertently in one of the scenes where the chopper flew overhead. It was quite convincing.

However there are drawbacks, quite a few of the scenes where the overhead effect was attempted were not convincing. And in some of the scenes where the overhead presence was felt, the sense of motion was limited. For example, in one scene where the chopper approached from the back to the front, it felt as though the chopper showed up out of nowhere, to appear immediately behind, and disappearing immediately in front of the listening position. I assume the sense of movement is limited to the point of reflection off the ceiling.

Ceiling speakers are just not healthy to a marriage that has already tolerated so much of this hobby. Therefore, if I wanted more realism on the vertical plane, I think I would add front heights, instead of another pair of atmos enabled speakers.

In sum, I think the klipsch atmos speakers perform well at an exceedingly difficult job. But at times the limitations of the technology are all too apparent.

Correction: at least two height speakers are required.

Good luck.

Last edited:
N

Nadeeja

Audiophyte
Thanks for the detailed reply DubPlate.
What did u mean use front heights instead of pair of atmos speakers?
Aren't front heights are atmos enabled?

A

Audioctor

Audioholic Intern
Based on what I have read, you don't need ceiling mounted speakers per se for atmos, all you need are 7 speakers. Therefore a 5.1 system plus front heights (i.e, mounted on front wall), or simple a 7.1 system, without any heights, will activate the atmos listening mode on the receiver. Atmos, from my experience, is as much about horizontal presence and movement at it is about the vertical.

Front heights, may be enough to present a convincing sense of movement and presence in the vertical plane, with the added benefit of negating a ceiling run. The remaining 5 speakers can handle the horizontal.

I have had the klipch 280FAs for a while, but only recently hooked up the built in atmos enabled modules. My ceiling is flat and smooth, with 5.6 feet between atmos speaker and the ceiling. Apparently Dolby suggest a minimum of 6 feet of vertical clearance.

My initial experience watching the Mechanic was better than I had expected. I actually ducked down inadvertently in one of the scenes where the chopper flew overhead. It was quite convincing.

However there are drawbacks, quite a few of the scenes where the overhead effect was attempted were not convincing. And in some of the scenes where the overhead presence was felt, the sense of motion was limited. For example, in one scene where the chopper approached from the back to the front, it felt as though the chopper showed up out of nowhere, to appear immediately behind, and disappearing immediately in front of the listening position. I assume the sense of movement is limited to the point of reflection off the ceiling.

Ceiling speakers are just not healthy to a marriage that has already tolerated so much of this hobby. Therefore, if I wanted more realism on the vertical plane, I think I would add front heights, instead of another pair of atmos enabled speakers.

In sum, I think the klipsch atmos speakers perform well at an exceedingly difficult job. But at times the limitations of the technology are all too apparent.

Correction: at least two height speakers are required.

Good luck.
As I previously suggested in the discussion, I am planning SVS Prime Elevation Speakers on sides (vertically above the main seating) to serve as height channels. Any suggestions/recommendations?

http://hometheaterreview.com/svs-prime-elevation-satellite-speaker-reviewed/

http://hdgear.highdefdigest.com/45760/svs_prime_elevation_speaker_review.html

Last edited:
J

Joel González

Audioholic Intern
As I previously suggested in the discussion, I am planning SVS Prime Elevation Speakers on sides (vertically above the main seating) to serve as height channels. Any suggestions/recommendations?

Well, actually like someone said before, Atmos is not in ceiling speakers, technically you can place them in different places, i think depending on your receiver it could be up to 16 channels if I remember correctly, however for a 5.X.2 you need to check where does your receiver accepts the placement. Mine let me use them, above front channels as regular speaker, in ceilling front, middle and back, upfiring speakers over front and rear, and I think thats it. Might need to check where does your receiver let you place them.

Enviado desde mi Nexus 6 mediante Tapatalk

D

DubPlate

Audioholic Intern
Front heighst go on the front wall, above but in between the front mains. Front heights can be regular speakers, i.e., not atmos enabled. Atmos enabled speakers on the other hand sit atop the front mains and bounce sound off the ceiling, for a top down effect.

From my understanding, front heights help to give increased elevation to the sound stage. However, an atmos enabled reciever can use the front heights to mimic the top down effect, or rather to give a sense of elevation.

So for example, if you had a set of spare bookshelf speakers laying around, just amp assign them to front heights, if the receiver allows, and put them on your front wall, above but in between you mains, and run odyssey again. This all presumes you already have at least a 5.1 system hooked up.

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Front heighst go on the front wall, above but in between the front mains. Front heights can be regular speakers, i.e., not atmos enabled. Atmos enabled speakers on the other hand sit atop the front mains and bounce sound off the ceiling, for a top down effect.

From my understanding, front heights help to give increased elevation to the sound stage. However, an atmos enabled reciever can use the front heights to mimic the top down effect, or rather to give a sense of elevation.

So for example, if you had a set of spare bookshelf speakers laying around, just amp assign them to front heights, if the receiver allows, and put them on your front wall, above but in between you mains, and run odyssey again. This all presumes you already have at least a 5.1 system hooked up.
I'd say this is basically true. Front height speakers and their design is only to provide a greater sense of ambiance and scale of space. Atmos overhead speakers are designed to reproduce more discrete information. You could mount speakers directly above your mains and assign them as atmos(x.x.2) but I don't think it would be very convincing. Fwiw, many people have said they like front height vs rear surround.(PLIIz vs PLIIx)

D

DubPlate

Audioholic Intern

If you are asking as to positioning, check out the following PDF from Dolby concerning speaker placement. There is a section that deals with installing in ceiling speakers.

I would say that if you are doing a ceiling run, might as well do at least 4 speakers. You are going to be up there anyway. Better yet, install a set or two sets of bipole speakers. svs may have those onhand.

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-atmos/dolby-atmos-home-theater-installation-guidelines.pdf

D

DubPlate

Audioholic Intern
I'd say this is basically true. Front height speakers and their design is only to provide a greater sense of ambiance and scale of space. Atmos overhead speakers are designed to reproduce more discrete information. You could mount speakers directly above your mains and assign them as atmos(x.x.2) but I don't think it would be very convincing. Fwiw, many people have said they like front height vs rear surround.(PLIIz vs PLIIx)
I cannot speak definitively on this, as I do not have front heights, but my understanding was that you would not have to assign them as atmos speakers--but only as font heights (which is what they are), because it would be critical to rendering that the receiver knows that they are not atmos enabled or ceiling mounted. The atmos capable receiver would then do what it could through the front heights.

I am going to attempt this at some point in the near future, so I would like to get the the matter straight myself.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I cannot speak definitively on this, as I do not have front heights, but my understanding was that you would not have to assign them as atmos speakers--but only as font heights (which is what they are), because it would be critical to rendering that the receiver knows that they are not atmos enabled or ceiling mounted. The atmos capable receiver would then do what it could through the front heights.

I am going to attempt this at some point in the near future, so I would like to get the the matter straight myself.
Far as I know, they'll be set up as atmos height channels. PLIIx and PLIIz don't exist anymore as the new matrixed sound mode decoder is called Dolby Surround. So you can place speakers above your mains ala front height, but even if they're sent atmos metadata, it's not going to sound right. But hey, if ya got em...go for it.

A

Audioctor

Audioholic Intern
Far as I know, they'll be set up as atmos height channels. PLIIx and PLIIz don't exist anymore as the new matrixed sound mode decoder is called Dolby Surround. So you can place speakers above your mains ala front height, but even if they're sent atmos metadata, it's not going to sound right. But hey, if ya got em...go for it.
I am planning to install SVS Prime Elevation Speakers on sides abutting the ceiling vertically above the main seats. I am hoping they'll serve a dual purpose-- SideSurround as well Atmos Height channel. What should I assign them as Simply side surround or Side Dolby Atmos?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I am planning to install SVS Prime Elevation Speakers on sides abutting the ceiling vertically above the main seats. I am hoping they'll serve a dual purpose-- SideSurround as well Atmos Height channel. What should I assign them as Simply side surround or Side Dolby Atmos?

I'm afraid that's not going to work. The location will probably serve well enough for atmos height but you'll also need a pair of regular surround speakers mounted in a traditional location under them. You won't be able to send one pair of speakers the information for surround, and atmos at the same time, for one. And two, the way atmos works is by having speakers in separate locations. The bed channels(regular 5.1 layout) play the mostly horizontal effects while the Atmos overhead speakers convey the overhead information. So for a 5.1.2 setup you'll need 7 speakers. Should look like this.

Atmos does support a variety of layouts but you need enough speakers to do it.

A

Audioctor

Audioholic Intern
I'm afraid that's not going to work. The location will probably serve well enough for atmos height but you'll also need a pair of regular surround speakers mounted in a traditional location under them. You won't be able to send one pair of speakers the information for surround, and atmos at the same time, for one. And two, the way atmos works is by having speakers in separate locations. The bed channels(regular 5.1 layout) play the mostly horizontal effects while the Atmos overhead speakers convey the overhead information. So for a 5.1.2 setup you'll need 7 speakers. Should look like this.

Atmos does support a variety of layouts but you need enough speakers to do it.
Sorry for the poor editing on the sketch. But I do intend to build up a 5.1.2 Setup and as shown in the drawing the marked spots are the ones from where the downward directed Prime Elevations are supposed to function as height channels. Hope it works. I am teaming these up with Wharfedale Diamond 230s, 220c and DFS's. And again my question is should these elevation be assigned as side surround and Dolby Atmos Surround Channels? My AVR is Denon x3300w.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Lol. Editing is just fine. If you intend to use the primes as elevation speakers where you marked with a 5.1.2 setup they will be assigned as Dolby atmos height channels. I think they work pretty well there. Your question reads as side AND height but I'll assume you meant OR.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis